none
Flatten folder structure while preserving metadata and files with duplicate names

Question

• Hello,

I have figured out how to flatten a folder and have WIndows rename duplicate named PDFs in SharePoint 2010, i.e. file and file(2).

I have also figured out how to move PDFs from one folder to another while preserving PDF metadata.

What I am needing help on is moving PDFs from one folder to another in SharePoint 2010 while preserving metadata AND remaning duplicate files names so that all files are moved.

In short, I have a roughly 1000 files similarly named that contain metadata, and we're flattening all folders, so I need to move them to the same top level folder. I know how to do each task independent of another, but not accomplish both at the same time.  Any thoughts?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:36 PM

Answers

• You can acheive it by creating a small utility/powershell get your files from the location you want start a counter and add these files to your destination folder with counter appended to their filename and after each copy update their metadata simultaneously.

#RoHsTr

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:17 AM

All replies