SharePoint, I  would like to decline these updates until a later date.  Can
    I just go into WSUS and decline them even after approving them in the SBS
    console because right now if you reboot the server, it will try to install
    again.

Thanks
    Mel

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:04 AM

Answers

• Microsoft resolved my issue last night.  They said since it was caused by an update I would get one free support case.  The problem was a permission issue.  After the support person examined the system and tried a few things (running psconfig and examining logs) for an hour, I spoke up and commented that a few months ago I had performed the Move Data Wizard to free up space on my C: drive.  I said that there seemed to be Sharepoint data on the new drive letter as well as some files remaining on the c: drive.  He looked at the security for the original data folder vs. the new data folder and editted the security of the new folder to match that of the original on c: drive.  Then, after a net stop/start of SQL, he ran the PSCONFIG command, and it finished successfully.  The Companyweb is back working.

I guess the Move Data Wizard was not designed well enough to match the permissions, or the updates for Sharepoint that come out might be forgetting that some people have moved their data onto other drives.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• Decline them and since they are already downloaded, stop the update services, delete the contents of the software dist folder and reenable the update services.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Where is the software dist folder?

"Susan Bradley [MVP]" wrote in message news:cb3c128a-667d-4ec0-aa2a-669108187aa1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Decline them and since they are already downloaded, stop the update services, delete the contents of the software dist folder and reenable the update services.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:48 PM
  • It is softwaredistribution folder. Start ->Run or Start ->Search and type softwaredistribution will give you the folder.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Sorry I found it, I should of googled before asking.

"Mel_W" <MelW@removespam.Cox.net> wrote in message news:cf9f1163-0859-47fa-9948-f956c022b4b8@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Where is the software dist folder?

"Susan Bradley [MVP]" wrote in message news:cb3c128a-667d-4ec0-aa2a-669108187aa1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Decline them and since they are already downloaded, stop the update services, delete the contents of the software dist folder and reenable the update services.
    < /DIV>
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:23 PM
  • These two updates seem to have broken Sharepoint for me.  It's still down.  Another forum said to uncheck IPv6 on the server's network card, and re-boot.  I tried that but it's not fixed.  Should I put IPv6 back?

I guess tonight I will try to remove the two updates.

I tend to accept all the updates that WSUS throws at me.  What is the proper way to decide which updates to accept?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:53 PM
  • WSUS provides the following updates critical , security , definition , service packs and optional updates. By default the settings for server and client computers are set to high .

The High update level approves critical updates, service packs, security updates, and definition updates.

The Medium update level automatically approves critical updates, security updates, and definition updates.

The Low update level automatically approves all security updates and definition updates. It does not automatically approve critical updates or service packs.

The None update level does not automatically approve any updates. You will have to approve them before they get install manually

Thus Depending upon your requirements you can set the level of updates through SBS Console.

Further if you have not unchecked IPV6 properly it can cause further issues on the server following post describes the same

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/10/24/issues-after-disabling-ipv6-on-your-nic-on-sbs-2008.aspx

You should put it back to an earlier state ideally as IPV6 has no role as far as breaking the functionality of the sharepoint is concerned.

Have you checked following blogs

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/06/18/companyweb-and-sharepoint-central-admin-not-accessible-after-installing-kb983444.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/05/06/companyweb-inaccessible-after-sharepoint-3-0-service-pack-2.aspx

?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Do not untick ipv6.

Since these are security related, call into Microsoft.

SharePoint updates generally cannot be removed once installed.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:53 PM
  • I put IPv6 back.

Susan, you are correct - they could not be removed.

I tried to remove the two updates, but they are not removable.  When I point to other updates, the remove option is there; when I point to either Sharepoint update, the remove option disappears.  Microsoft grudgingly gave me a free support case; I should hear from them tomorrow.  I tried the psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force, but that did not finish successfully.  Mohitkapoor, thanks for the help.  Maybe tonight I will try the psconfig command again 2-3 times and try the Windows SharePoint Services Search - Log On fix also.  Thank you also Susan.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

not sure what errors you are having. We're running a dutch 2008 SBS at this customer, the psconfig upgrade process fails in step 3 for us. Have ran it many times by now.

Unfortunately, I don't get much smarter from the error log it advises to consult. It can be found here: Upgrade Log

The part that seems most important to me is this:

09/21/2011 12:06:43  5  INF            Entering function TaskCommon.TraceToPsconfigLogAndUpgradeManagerLog
    09/21/2011 12:06:43  5  INF              Not spawing off the upgrade job, but rather running upgrade synchronously by calling SPFarm.Local.Upgrade() for inplace upgrade
    09/21/2011 12:06:43  5  INF            Leaving function TaskCommon.TraceToPsconfigLogAndUpgradeManagerLog
    09/21/2011 12:07:11  5  ERR            Task upgrade has failed with an unknown exception
    09/21/2011 12:07:11  5  ERR            Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException: Upgrade voltooid, met fouten. Raadpleeg upgrade.log in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Logs\Upgrade.log. Het aantal fouten en waarschuwingen is te vinden aan het einde van het upgradelogbestand.
       bij Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.RunUpgradeSession(IUpgradable root, Boolean bRecursive)
       bij Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeTask.Run()
       bij Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Upgrade voltooid, met fouten = Upgrade completed, with errors
    Het aantal fouten en waarschuwingen is te vinden aan het einde van het upgradelogbestand. = The number of errors and warnings can be found at the end of the upgradelog file.

The issue occurred here after installing updates KB2493987 and KB2553018 (both sharepoint). Other updates installed at that time where KB2570947, KB2616676 and KB890830 (none of these are sharepoint related).

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:12 AM
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Logs\Upgrade.log

Is that that log?

Call Microsoft, it will be a free call.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:21 AM
  • No the actual filename of the file I posted is PSCDiagnostics_9_21_2011_12_4_14_506_290036831.log which the error referenced, I have an upgrade.log too, but the error referenced this one.

Looking into the 'real' upgrade.log file now, which seems to have more useful errors, but still doesn't help me a lot.

It can be found here

I've granted our user account db_owner role on all the databases, still can't open the properties of several of them though through SQL management studio. Not sure if that indicates there's still a permission error. Can't open the tables due to signature issues either (but this doesn't give a permission error thus).

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:19 AM
  • I called MS support. They stated it's NOT free and are still looking into it after collecting logs for ~1 hour.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Yes it is.  It's a security patch that caused this.  Security patch calls are always free.  They may take your info and then comp it back at the end but it's always a free call. Call back.  Indicate that you have an issue with a security patch.

Ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com and give me your case number so I can go yell at someone.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:55 PM
  • You have to Runas Admin in order to open up the SQL database.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Microsoft resolved my issue last night.  They said since it was caused by an update I would get one free support case.  The problem was a permission issue.  After the support person examined the system and tried a few things (running psconfig and examining logs) for an hour, I spoke up and commented that a few months ago I had performed the Move Data Wizard to free up space on my C: drive.  I said that there seemed to be Sharepoint data on the new drive letter as well as some files remaining on the c: drive.  He looked at the security for the original data folder vs. the new data folder and editted the security of the new folder to match that of the original on c: drive.  Then, after a net stop/start of SQL, he ran the PSCONFIG command, and it finished successfully.  The Companyweb is back working.

I guess the Move Data Wizard was not designed well enough to match the permissions, or the updates for Sharepoint that come out might be forgetting that some people have moved their data onto other drives.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Thank you for sharing the solution with us, Terry.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:42 AM
  • Thanks for the re' Terry. Unfortunately, we did not move sharepoint, so ours is another issue.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Freaky call Microsoft.  If you have any issues with getting a free support case as it's an issue with a securty update, ping me at susan-at-msmvps.com

P.S. since you are a partner you can also post in the sbs partner forums www.sbspartnerforums.info

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:36 PM
  • These security updates also hosed one of our SBS2008 servers last night.  Calling Microsoft Support this morning, the answer is free support for security issues is only available during the work week.  However for $5xx they would handle the situation today (Sunday).  As they respond within 4-8 hours of calling on Monday, the customer is pretty much asured they will be without their sharepoint site for Monday.  And I recommended Sharepoint to this customer because???

Everyone - Follow the advise on this thread and disable sharepoint update.  The cost of business interruptions is just too high.

Bob

Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:53 PM
  • This is what I did when I applied the updates and found that the companyweb didn't work. Taken from the blog post;

1.       Open the Services snap-in and Restart the Windows Internal Database service.

2.       Run the following command from an elevated command prompt (if the command fails, note the error and run the command again, in some occasions due to some timing considerations, it might have to be run multiple times before it works, we would suggest trying it 2 or 3 times).

·         C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\BIN\psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

·         The command may take a long time to run. If it completes successfully, SharePoint Central Admin and Companyweb should work (confirm IIS services are running, bindings are correct, etc.) It took me 10 minutes to complete. 

3.       After the psconfig completes, check the following:

·         If SharePoint Central Admin works but Companyweb does not, check the bindings for the web site in IIS, we’ve seen some cases where they are missing. 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:05 PM
  • I am trying to install the 2 sharepoint updates in question.  I am watching the installing updates and it seems to frozen.  Does it take a really long time to actually install?  like a few hours? 

I may have messed up.  Earlier I stopped installation.  then installed a few other updates - not sharepoint.  I rebooted.  I currently dont have OWA.  so I started the install of the 2 sharepoint updates again.  hoping they would finish so then i could run the  psconfig to fix. 

EDIT - I did have success in installing the 2 pacthes and was able to get OWA up.  But i have to troubleshoot Sharepoint as it is not working. 

Thanks.

• Edited by ft_cts Friday, September 30, 2011 12:13 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Greetings,

Last night I was updating an SBS 2008 Server remotely via RWW and T/S Gateway.  After KB2553018 was installed, my session was terminated and I was unable to access RWW.  Now Companyweb, SBS Reporting, and possibly backups have stopped working.  I've tried all the suggestions in this forum without success. Curious, I decided to check ALL my SBS 2008 installations.  Everyone of them have various problems after KB2553018 is installed. SBS Reporting stopped in one and I've recieved reports from users that intermittantly CompanyWeb is not available.  On the two SBS 2008 systems I upgraded last night, Sharepoint is completely hosed. Now I've discovered SBS Backup may not be working also. I'm not one to complain much, but having problems on 100% (6) of my SBS 2008 installations, some more severe than others, after KB2553018 is installed is not acceptable.  I'll share the details and solutions as they are repaired.  My in-house system has the most problems so I'll start with it.

Cheers,

Ian 'Skip' Guyer

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Friday, September 30, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I don't mean to be nitpicky but I'm going to be nitpicky.  There's a MAJOR diff in how SBS 2008 does it's SharePoint updates and how SBS 2011 does them.  The link posted below is info for SBS 2011.  SharePoint in the 2010 product does not even attempt to run the psconfig command.

SHarepoint on the 2008 product does attempt it, and sometimes fails.  The psconfig commands for each product is a little bit different.

Also the backup in SBS 2008 should not be impacted.  SBS 2011 it is.

So to be clear in SBS 2011 if you do not run psconfig YOUR BACKUPS WILL FAIL.

So can you detail out the exact issues of each SBS 2008 you had?  I need you to be specific here of what has happened on each exact machine.

Friday, September 30, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Ewhen and Susan,

I should not have mentioned backups in this thread.  Working on several systems at the same time can cause confusion.  One of the systems the Reporting service has been reporting failed backups for several days, but after further inspection, it is the reporting service that has failed, not the backups.  I manually went and checked all backups for all systems after that post and found them all in good order.

I have 4 SBS 2003 installs, 6 SBS 2008 installs, and all the rest are SBS 2011 installs that I have installed and maintain.  I've also installed and maintained SBS from the Backoffice days thru SBS 2011. So thank you sharing the differences.  But I'm going to focus on the Sharepoint failure on SBS 2008 at this point. And I'm going to focus on one system at a time so I don't get confused in public.  Since my in-house system is the least important, I'm going to pound on it first. (Contains all my billing records and customer records, so it's important to me, but not my customers.)

I've run PSCONFIG many times.  I've followed all instructions and suggestions in this and other threads.  So far I've gone from "HTTP 404 errors" on the CompanyWeb to "Cannot connect to the configuration database".  That's hopeful. 

Out of desperation, I ran the psconfigui (as Admininstrator) and it failed serveral times.  The failure in the logs was "user login error."  I have moved my Sharepoint off the System drive, so I checked the security settings, sure enough, they were different.  I made them the same as best I could but 'TrustedInstaller' is not available using the applets.  I haven't gone to PowerShell to fix that (but I will). I tried it PSConfig again, it failed.  Tried PSConfigui again, and it was successful. Yeah!  That's how I got from 'HTTP 404' to 'Cannot connect to the configuration database'.

I have a customer moving to a new location today, so I can't troubleshoot now, but I will when I return and I'll share the details here and in the other thread I started.  Typically, I don't get frustrated by the various problems encountered doing patches and upgrades and I have the tenacity to work through it all.  This time, with a 100% error rate, I'm beyond disappointed or annoyed.  The only other time this has happened in modern times was when KB974571 killed 100% of my OCS systems.  At least it could be removed.  AND MS released a fix within a few days.  It's one thing to pour over logs and run cmdlets on one system, but to have the prospect of this x6 has me annoyed.  I've got an SBS 2003 -> SBS 2011 this weekend and I'm in the middle of several Lync Server 2010 installs.

Thank you for your responses, I truly appreciate it.  After this move I hope to be back to my normal cheerful self.

Ian 'Skip' Guyer
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Thanks Ewhen,

I appreciate the thought.

Backups aren't issue. My mistake. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have regarding the Sharepoint problems created by KB2553018 and KB249387.  As I've said in another post, I'll pull out the relevant details for you to take a look at.

Ian 'Skip' Guyer
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:26 PM
  • My in-house system: SBS 2008, nothing fancy, vanilla install, the only clever thing I've done to Sharepoint was import the Fab40, it has been working without error for almost 2 years.  It has gotten worse.

I cannot connect to the configuration database.  When I run SPTC to reconfigure, as it suggested,  it wouldn't run unless I renamed or deleted SPCA.  I opened IIS Manager and sure enough, when I went to rename SPCA, it reported that SPCA was not found.  I deleted it.  I ran SPTC again.  Failed.  Here's the first error from PSCDiagnostics Log.

09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                  Executing the sql command SELECT @Version=Version FROM [dbo].[Versions] WHERE VersionId=@VersionId against server SBS\Microsoft##SSEE against database WSS_Content to get the versionid to make sure this is a config db
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                  Entering function SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                    Entering function Common.BuildExceptionInformation
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                      Entering function Common.BuildExceptionMessage
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                        Entering function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                          Resource id to be retrieved is ExceptionInfo for language English (United States)
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                          Resource retrieved id ExceptionInfo is An exception of type {0} was thrown.  Additional exception information: {1}
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                        Leaving function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                      Leaving function Common.BuildExceptionMessage
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                    Leaving function Common.BuildExceptionInformation
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  ERR                    An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Access to table dbo.Versions is blocked because the signature is not valid.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Access to table dbo.Versions is blocked because the signature is not valid.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                  Leaving function SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery
    09/30/2011 16:30:07  1  INF                Leaving function SqlServerHelper.GetV3WSSConfigurationDatabases

This appears to mean (to me) that the SQL Database is corrupt -or- the security settings are wrong on the config db.  What do you think?

I have a good backup, it might be better to restore the system back to before I did the updates?  But I don't have that option on one other, so I'd like to fix it if possible.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers,

Ian 'Skip' Guyer

Ian 'Skip' Guyer
    • Edited by Ian Guyer Saturday, October 01, 2011 12:04 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Sorry geek alert.   SPTC  and SPCA?

So let's focus on your box, you did not move the SharePoint data, yes?

http://blog.qumsieh.ca/2010/08/26/follow-up-access-to-table-dbo-versions-is-blocked-because-the-signature-is-not-valid/

I don't think there's a corruption.  I still think it's just the database is not yet updated.

And this the error log file referred to in the logs right?  There's no other errors?

Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Susan,

Thanks for you help.

After agonizing hours pouring over log files and trying every reasonable suggestion I could find, I finally fixed it with a full restore from backup.  This worked perfectly. You can mark it as a fix.  Pathetic.

After spending hours researching problems after updates, I'm getting terribly annoyed.  IE9 causes EMC to refuse to close and I get an MMC errors everytime I log out.  Sharepoint has more ways to blow up than a motivated terrorist.  OCS and Lync servers break with every other update.  And almost every suggestion for a fix involves PowerShell and Command Prompts, and it rarely works.  What, are we going full circle here.  Soon I'll we'll end up back at DOS? Is that what Microsoft wants? I've got no problem with PowerShell, it's a great tool for IT shops, but I'm not an IT shop and I don't need scripts for every little thing on a 30 user system.

I'm trying to be diligent keeping my operating systems and applications patched, but I'm spending too much time fixing errors caused by patches and not enough being an IT consultant to businesses.  I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole. I'm in the SBS world, it's difficult to justify my time to customers, they watch their pennies and don't have deep pockets.  As far as some of them are concerned, I caused the problems.

Almost every post I make on the subject, someone jumps in to tell me what I did wrong.  After three hard weeks I now know exactly what I did wrong -  I installed updates on perfectly working systems. That's not the attitude Microsoft, or I, wants me to have, but if I'm going to be their quality control in the field on customers working systems, that's what they're going to get and deserve.

Microsoft needs to slow down, their product is getting shoddy.  I'm going to STOP updates until I get my servers back in good shape (if that's even possible at this stage). Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of it.

Ian 'Skip' Guyer - Just another IT consultant.

Ian 'Skip' Guyer
    • Edited by Ian Guyer Monday, October 10, 2011 4:49 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:30 AM
  • In a SBS network the risk of issues due to SharePoint updates is higher than the risk of remote attack.  You don't have to install every update Microsoft sends our way.

If the update should be installed because there's a 'from remote' attack risk, issues with security updates are a free call to Microsoft.

When it comes to SharePoint - in the 2010 era Microsoft's response was to place the burden of psconfig command on the admin.  Unlike the SBS 2008 platform where the psconfig is done for you (and may blow up the box), on SBS 2011 it's not done for you.

I don't install IE9 on servers.  I don't surf there and we're still waiting on the Exchange fix.

Just because Microsoft releases updates doesn't mean that every single one has to be installed.  Look at how you use the systems, look at the risk of not updating, and it's okay to pick out ones and say "sorry, not gonna do you".

Monday, October 10, 2011 7:01 AM
  • P.S. if there is ever a SharePoint update that just HAS to be on a box, I'll post in here and let you know.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Thanks Susan,

We'll all appreciate this.

But just think about it for a moment...

What exactly is happening?  Does Microsoft know these updates are problematic and publishes them to SBS servers anyway?  Or, do they have no clue.  Either way, I'm stunned.  Are you?

Most of us are Microsoft 'Partners'.  But are we really?  Maybe we should be renamed to Microsoft 'Victims'.

I'd bet you could put together an SBS QA/QC group that performs better.  If that's the case, why hasn't Microsoft?  Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I'm starting to think we're back to step-children status and that Office 365 is Microsoft's answer to the SBS question.  Is Microsoft sending us a message?   What they don't know is that every Office 365 client I have is disappointed with the performance and has reliability issues, especially with Lync.  AND, not one of my customers includes 'slower and less reliable' as a criteria for an IT system.

Ian 'Skip' Guyer
    Monday, October 10, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Thanks Susan,

We'll all appreciate this.

But just think about it for a moment...

What exactly is happening?  Does Microsoft know these updates are problematic and publishes them to SBS servers anyway?  Or, do they have no clue.  Either way, I'm stunned.  Are you?

Most of us are Microsoft 'Partners'.  But are we really?  Maybe we should be renamed to Microsoft 'Victims'.

I'd bet you could put together an SBS QA/QC group that performs better.  If that's the case, why hasn't Microsoft?  Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I'm starting to think we're back to step-children status and that Office 365 is Microsoft's answer to the SBS question.  Is Microsoft sending us a message?   What they don't know is that every Office 365 client I have is disappointed with the performance and has reliability issues, especially with Lync.  AND, not one of my customers includes 'slower and less reliable' as a criteria for an IT system.

Ian 'Skip' Guyer

I'm going to call it the 80/20 rule.  For the vast majority of updates we do just fine.  Patch Tuesday arrives, the updates are sent out, people install and go on.  Then there are those updates that on some boxes I cross my fingers on and hope everyone is okay.  .NET and SharePoint are two that I cross my fingers on.

But for a percentage of SBS boxes, these update install just fine.  It isn't 100% failure rate.  That said I'm realistic that I'm not the vast marketplace of SharePoint.  There's large enterprises that do have security risks and have to have these updates.  In the grand scheme of things, my SharePoint is not at risk, large enterprises are.  And at the end of the day if I'm a small part of the SharePoint deployments, it's important that all of Microsoft's customers are protected.

Would you rather that all SharePoint updates be blocked on SBS boxes or that you are given the right to not install them?  Think about your ask?  You have gazillions of SharePoint customers all around the world.  A securty issue is found.  A patch is coded up. 

Now put yourself in Microsoft's shoes.  What would you do? 

Microsoft knows that certain classes of updates are problematic.  .NET right now is under the magnifying glass as well.

The version of SharePoint you are patching is one behind the current version.  Because Microsoft saw that the automatic psconfig was troublesome, in the next version of SharePoint (in SBS 2011), it doesn't automatically run the psconfig command.  That's how they fixed it.  They know SharePoint is problematic as in the current version requires you to manually psconfig it.

I've installed this update on my boxes just fine.  I can't repro your exact issue.  And I have test servers and I can't repro the issues.   Sometimes it comes down to the applications and things we install on our crusty boxes that just are not there on test servers.

Also let me put you on the spot. The next time an update doesn't work right, instead of trying various thing via googling, immediately post in the partner forums.    Merely searching and finding workarounds is not giving Microsoft true metrics.  So even if you find a solution or a workaround, post in the www.sbspartnerforum.info and ensure that your body is counted.  Microsoft feels at this time that they've identified all of the potential Sharepoint patch issues and documented them in blogs and KBs. (like http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;944267  Obviously we're still lacking information.  What could they do better?  What did you try?  What didn't work?  What needs to be better documented?

In fact, it might be wise to post this in the partner forum still just so body counts can be counted.

Bottom line no update is without risk of deployment.  You are introducing change to a system.  Microsoft does not have the computers you have and cannot guarantee 100% perfection (and I've had patch blow ups on my Mac so even a more closed system has issues)  Microsoft does not have your network with your applications.  The buck is ultimately with me.  As long as I'm premise, I patch.  I decide.  I deploy, not them.  When I'm in the cloud, then it's their issue.

That doesn't mean I don't push to make patching better, but no I'm not stunned because I've been following patching issues for a long time (and moderate the www.patchmanagement.org listserve) and   SharePoint is a database, and we're treating it like it's a minor element of our server just because most of us don't care about it.

In the meantime, do you still have the full raw log file containing the error and can you send it to susan-at-msmvps.com?  I'd still like to take a look at it.

P.S.  BTW - AmyB talks about her BPOS clients as having more downtime than her on premise clients.

Monday, October 10, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Hi All

I'm hoping someone can help. These two updates were applied to our SBS 2008 Server, and subsequently messed up our Companyweb site.

This now does not work at all, I've tried various 'fixes', and nothing. This is now to a point of being irreversible.

My question is, I have read that any documents that are uploaded into the companyweb site, become part of the database, Is this true? if so is there any way I can extract the files back out? for example, we have a Nonconformity Register, that was updated by various members of staff from within the Companyweb and then saved back. I need to get access to this document while the companyweb site is down. I've searched the server for this document without success.

Any help would be much appreciated.

On a side note, are there any help files on how to set up a new Companyweb site from scratch, then re-import the database files that I have on Backup before these updates were applied.

Again any help would be great.

Thanks all

Sean

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hello,

I've got the same error. And i'm trying to run psconfig, but i get an error.

who can help me??

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:47 AM