none
Windows Server 2008 r2 Datacenter - File: \Windows\system32\config\system - Status: 0xc00000e9 - Info: windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt

Question

• File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

I am getting this error message during bootup and I have tried the Startrep.exe from the Windows Recovery Console but it did not fix the problem.

Startrep is showing that it cannot repair the problem and the root cause is a corrupt registry.

There is no backup for this server.

Please advise on how to fix this problem.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could try booting the installation media and perform and in-place upgrade but I suspect the underlying cause is some hardware failure.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi M3ld0n,

Please Try tapping F8 at boot, start in Safe mode with command prompt and run SFC /SCANNOW(at the command prompt) to repair missing or corrupted system files.

In addition, you can also try to boot into System Recovery to repair the system, for more detailed information, please refer to this thread:

windows server 2008: windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt status: 0xc00000e9

I hope this helps.

Monday, February 17, 2014 12:38 PM
  • Thank you for the advice Dave and AnnaWY.

It is much appreciated.

In-place upgrade was not possible, since, the server is running on a Core installation.

After performing hardware tests, 2 memory modules have failed.

I remove the failed memory modules, run StartRep.exe, SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK /f /r but the issue is still not fixed, so I ended up in rebuilding the server.

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:43 AM