none
Newbie Bitlocker Relock Question.

Question

• Hi Folks:

After unlocking a Bitlocker encrypted drive and using it, I want to lock to drive again, Perhaps because another person is going to be using the computer. 

I don't see any method to do this, short of shutting down the PC and re-booting. 

A right click on the drive gives me the options of "Change Bitlocker password" or "Manage Bitlocker". 

I don't want to change the Bitlocker password, and the choices in management are "Remove password" and "Turn off Bitlocker". 

I don't want to remove the password, "Turn off Bitlocker" presents me with this message:

"Your drive will be decrypted.  This might take a long time, but you can keep using your PC during the decryption process."

That's not what I want to do either. 

How can I re-lock the drive?

A related question. 

When I'm finished with a Bitlocker encrypted USB thumb drive and want to safely remove it I get this message:

This device is currently in use.  Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again. 

Nothing is using that device, except Bitlocker.  How do I safely remove the drive?

Thanks
          Larry

Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

There is no way to re-lock a drive from the graphical interface, you can however relock the drive with the following command:

manage-bde -lock G: 

where G: is de drive that you want to have locked again.

• Marked as answer by a_unique_name Friday, August 01, 2014 8:02 PM
    Friday, August 01, 2014 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to encrypt your drive without rebooting?
    Please refer to the following link about lock date by using command.
    Manage-bde: lock
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff829864.aspx
    1. Type cmd in the  Start, and right-click the Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator in the bottom of screen.
    2. Type manage-bde –lock D:, and press Enter. Replace "D" with your drive letter that you want to relock.

About the error message’ This device is currently in use…’, please check Task manager to stop any processes used by the device.
    1. Open “Task Manager”
    2. Once the task manager is launched click the Processes tab.
    3. Examine the list of processes, if you find any process belonging to the drive or device, simply end all such processes.
    4. Try removing it now.

If there are any problems, please let me know.

Best regards

Friday, August 01, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Hi Larry,

There is no way to re-lock a drive from the graphical interface, you can however relock the drive with the following command:

manage-bde -lock G: 

where G: is de drive that you want to have locked again.

• Marked as answer by a_unique_name Friday, August 01, 2014 8:02 PM
    Friday, August 01, 2014 8:38 AM