none
Server 2012 with DHCP Load Balancing using IP Helper

Question

• Forgive me for my ignorance but I was wondering if you gents could help me understand the process for how the client and server works in the following scenario:

- 2 geographical sites

- Router at each site with IP Helper feature

- 2 x Server 2012 (DC1 and DC2) configured in DHCP Failover Load Balanced Mode

Question 1

What address do you specify on the router for IP helper - DC1, DC2, both or a host name that covers both DCs?

My understanding is that when the client requests an IP, it goes to both DHCP servers and only one responds based on MAC hash alogrithm. What I am wondering is how do you get the IP helper to send one request to both servers OR do you simply specify DC1 and it will work out the load balancing from receiving the request? Bit confused.

Question 2

In the above scenario, say you have DC1 die and you have a 50/50 setting applied. Can DC2 then take over the scope for the dead DC1 and operate as the one main DHCP server for both? 

So I guess I am asking is can you be load balanced (active/active) AND be Hot standby at the same time in a DHCP Failover? or is it one or the other?

Thank you

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:03 PM

Answers

All replies