none
Deploy PAC file to IE users

Question

• We recently installed IE 10 on our Server 2008 R2 domain controllers and realized that we can no longer edit the Internet Explorer Maintenance from the domain controllers. We can work around that, but decided that maybe it is just time to convert to a PAC file and stop using Internet Explorer Maintenance all together. The problem is that when we configure preferences for Internet explorer to point to the PAC file, it never gets configured on our Windows 7 systems. We really don't like using Preferences for Internet Explorer, so if there is another way, we would like to know what it is. DHCP is not an option since we need to be able to target different groups of systems on the same subnet with different proxy configuration scripts... This is largely done for testing purposes so that we can test a script change without impacting all users if a mistake is made...

Is there a simple way to configure the proxy configuration script in IE without using Internet Explorer Maintenance?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:46 PM

Answers

• there was some discussion here recently on a similar topic (not sure if it was in the IE forum or the GP forum or where), and that one was due to the question-asker not having correctly understood the GPP trickery of F5/F6/F7/F8 in the IE GPP interface.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:03 PM

All replies

• HI,

From your description, I think maybe you can configure the proxy setting in one of the system where you manage Group policy.

1) Open the Group Policy Editor by using Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

2) User configuration -> Preferences -> Windows settings -> registry ->

3) Right Click -> New  Registry wizard and import Proxyenable,Proxyoverride, proxyserver settings.

For more information, please refer to the following KB:

How to configure client proxy server settings by using a registry file

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819961/en-us

Regards,

Yolanda

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:18 AM
  • Actually the proxy settings you reference are actually working fine from group policy preferences. It is only the auto configuration script that never populates even though it is set in the group policy preferences section. Because of the size constraints for the bypass list, a proxy configuration script seems like a better fit for us.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:45 AM
  • we use autodetect very successfully.

on an internal webserver create the pac file so that an IE client machine can find it at: http://wpad.your.domain.com/proxy.pac

we also copy/link the same file at: http://wpad.your.domain.com/wpad.dat

IE will automatically attempt to find this file if you enable the setting: "automatically detect settings", which is the MS default unless you have changed this default. if you have changed it, you can set it with GPP.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Don,

Your right on the money about the PAC file and the default setting for "Automatic Detect Settings", but I have only been able to manually set the pac file location. I cannot set it through preferences. I am guessing I have a security setting that prevents the setting from applying. If I wanted to use the proxy and bypass list settings in preferences, those work fine, but for some reason in our environment the PAC file doesn't get configured from the preferences setting. I need to figure out if group policy logging can be configured to help us see what is going on...

Pretty sure this is a security setting. I just need to figure out what I am missing...

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:20 PM
  • there was some discussion here recently on a similar topic (not sure if it was in the IE forum or the GP forum or where), and that one was due to the question-asker not having correctly understood the GPP trickery of F5/F6/F7/F8 in the IE GPP interface.

Don

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Does the "Use automatic configuration script" field require the "Automatically detect settings" check box? I think this might be our issue. We had to disable automatically detect settings because of performance issues with Sharepoint.  I noticed that the preferences configuration for IE does not allow me to set the Automatically detect settings check box as well... Not sure how we are going to set it back once we deploy the script file. Also wondering if maybe the script file is not populating because detection is disabled.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Your comment regarding F5/F6/F7/F8 was the answer. I wondered what the red and green underline was and now it makes sense.  I didn't realize that every setting within preferences for IE could be enabled or disabled. I suddenly find it more useful. Sure would be nice to see IE 9 and 10 in preferences since they have settings not included in IE8 such as TLS 1.1 and 1.2...

Appreciate your help...

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:37 PM
  • IE9 and IE10 GPP settings are available, if you are running GPMC upon Win8(with RSAT) or WS2012

Don

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:57 PM