none
Can't access network computers from Hyper-V Server 2008 R2

Question

• I have a Hyper-V Server (call it Server-X) that can be accessed from all computers on my domain network. However, I cannot access any domain computers or NAS drives from Server-X. I can ping the resource by IP address from Server-X, but I cannot access by name (i.e. \\NAS\Public or \\Server-Z\c$).

Note as stated above... I do not have this problem from within any of the Hyper-V servers or physical workstations on my network.

Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

Seth

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:38 PM

Answers

• I opened a ticket with Microsoft support and they were able to resolve. Long story short, the registry needed to be modified.

Original entry was (something like) ,,RDPNP

Corrected entry now reads: RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient

Below is a summary from the support technician:

PROBLEM:.  Cannot access shared resources from Hyper-V Server 2008 R2

CAUSE: Registry key for Provider order was not correct .

RESOLUTION: Corrected the registry at the location HKLM / SYSTEM / Current control set / Control / Network Adapter /provider order /order

Added entry of Lanman workstation in there.

Seth

• Marked as answer by SethA Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:26 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:26 PM

All replies

• I would look at the IP gateway address and make sure correct, I would look at the DNS server and make sure the DNS info is correct, I would look at the servers firewall and make sure it turned off.

James_Stephan@yahoo.com visit my blog stephanco.blogspot.com

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Did all of the above. No change in behavior. I was able to access these resources in the past... not sure what changed on the virtual server.

Additional info: when I try to access, I'm getting the error "Specified network provider name is invalid."

Seth

• Edited by SethA Monday, November 25, 2013 7:42 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Let's make sure that you are able to access the DNS server from Server-X

Logon to Server-X and use nslookup command line to make sure that your DNS system is working correctly

And I want to ask you what would you get if you tried to access the resources using the IP Address i.e \\192.168.1.1\c$ (since 192.168.1.1 is the IP address for Server-Z in this example)

Regards,

Housam Smadi

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Nslookup returns the default server and it's address. Both pieces of information appear correct.

The c$ lookup returns " Windows cannot access \\192.168.167.3\c$. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network... click diagnose." The error code is 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.  Diagnose returns "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

Seth

Further, nslookup correctly relates the name of one of the NAS's on my network with its IP address. 
    • Edited by SethA Monday, November 25, 2013 8:17 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 8:14 PM
  • One last piece of information...

Entering the IP address in the Start / Run window (i.e. \\192.168.167.6) returns the error:

"The network is not present or not started." 

I am able to ping the address.

Seth

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Go to the services and maybe the workstation service is stopped. Try to start that service.

This service must be started automatically.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:13 PM
  • The workstation service is running. 

Seth

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:23 PM
  • And the service computer browser?

Maybe this link help you.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Reinstalling networking components is my next step. My concern is this is a Hyper-V Server and that once I start messing / uninstalling networking components, I'll lose connectivity, etc. Can't afford that risk right now.

The strange thing about all this is: 1) I'm able to remote desktop to the server; 2) I can see and access all the server resources from other hyper-v servers as well as my physical machines.

So worse case for the time being is I access the server from another workstation to grab files and move them as necessary.

Seth

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

Verify that the network software is installed, properly configured, and that the network services have been started.

Otherwise try to reset Internet Protcol (TCP/IP):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us

Regards,

Housam Smadi

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

Please diskable the firewall and the AV software on the child vm then try again, what is also worth noticing is that we don't recormmend install other role  the Hyper-V parent host.

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:13 AM
  • I opened a ticket with Microsoft support and they were able to resolve. Long story short, the registry needed to be modified.

Original entry was (something like) ,,RDPNP

Corrected entry now reads: RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient

Below is a summary from the support technician:

PROBLEM:.  Cannot access shared resources from Hyper-V Server 2008 R2

CAUSE: Registry key for Provider order was not correct .

RESOLUTION: Corrected the registry at the location HKLM / SYSTEM / Current control set / Control / Network Adapter /provider order /order

Added entry of Lanman workstation in there.

Seth

• Marked as answer by SethA Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:26 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:26 PM