none
moving shortcut to start menu, creating a folder for it in the process

Question

• Hi, i'm hoping someone can help as i'm happy to admit i'm not the best when it comes to scripts.

The situation i have is as follows.... I have a shortcut on my desktop, i need to move (not copy) this to a folder on the start menu. But in the process, i need to also create a subfolder for it to go in.

So the desktop shortcut needs to be in; C:\program files\existing folder\NewlyCreatedFolder\shortcut

Does anyone know of a script that could do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:37 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:20 AM

All replies

• What?

The start menu is in the users folders.

%userprofile%\Start Menu

The shortcut needs to go in the users profiler in the %allusersprofile%.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Yeah, I'm trying to get a script together so i can run this on multiple machines. To get the desktop less cluttered, i would like a script that will move the shortcut into the start menu, creating a folder for it in the process.
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Why do you need a folder.  Just add the shortcut to the start menu.  This should all be done using Group Policy.  Users cannot do this.

See you system Administrator about adding a start menu shortcut to Group Policy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Thanks for the response, however, I don't know if i have explained myself well as I was hoping for a script to do this for me.

I've copied files over before using scripts so i didnt think it would be too difficult.

i'll go back to the drawing board.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Thanks for the response, however, I don't know if i have explained myself well as I was hoping for a script to do this for me.

I've copied files over before using scripts so i didnt think it would be too difficult.

i'll go back to the drawing board.

Thanks

copy the shortcut file to the menu.

copy shortcut.lnk "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu"

That is all you have to do. THe shortcut will show up in al lusers start menus.

Remotely:

copy chortcut.lnk "\\computername\c$\programdata\Microsoft\windows\start menu\programs"

Of course if you are asking about Windows 8 then this won't work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Part of the problem is that you are asking for two mutually exclusive things.  You want a shortcut on the start menu but you want to copy it to "Program Files".  These are two totally different things. The start menu is in another location and is just a folder.  If we place a link in the folder it will be displayed on the start menu.

You can also just drag and drop the link to the start menu to see how it works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Sorry, i meant within program files, not the start menu. I was using both terms but i meant program files. i know i can drag and drop but the idea is to have this done on 50+ machines.

Thanks for your input so far. I will look into it further.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Sorry, i meant within program files, not the start menu. I was using both terms but i meant program files. i know i can drag and drop but the idea is to have this done on 50+ machines.

Thanks for your input so far. I will look into it further.

Don't you mean you want it in the "Programs" menu?  A standard user cannot write to "Program Files".

On a domain this would be done with Group Policy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:56 PM
  • I ended up not creating the folder and just moved the file using the move command.

move C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Shortcut.lnk "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\existingfolder\Shortcut.lnk"

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:40 AM
  • See:  Not so hard.  It is even easier with group policy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Yeah, like I said though I'm a novice to scripting, and i've had to compramise on not creating the new folder to achieve my goal. GP wouldnt have been ideal in this case I feel.

Thanks for trying to advise all the same.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Why would you want to create a folder in "Program FIles"?  THat has nothing to do with setting a shortcut item on the "Start Menu".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:40 PM
  • To house a number of shortcuts that will be utilised under the same category. These are in-house apps.<o:p></o:p>

Matter closed.<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:43 PM
  • Are you saying you want a menu item that will contain all of the shortcuts?  That still has nothing to do with "Program Files" folder.  All menu items are in the Start Menu folder and its subfolders which are located in the user profile or in the "AllUsers" profile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:19 PM
  • It doesn't matter now. I either never explained it well or you haven't understood my issue fully but it's sorted now.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:22 PM
  • This is for you home computer?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:25 PM