none
Is it possible to sort a list of URL links by the number of accesses each link has had? (Sharepoint 2010)

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have created a List of URL links that allow my group to easily access useful websites. This list will be constantly updated with new links by all members of my group. I need to find an automated method of showing the most relevant links first within the list. My idea is to create a column of the number of accesses (mouse clicks) each link has received and then sort this column in descending order.

Any advice as to whether this is possible, and or other methods to achieve my goal would be gratefully received.

Thanks for your support,

Kiezza

• Edited by Kiezza Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:47 AM Removed tags
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

If it is list then go to your list-->list settings-->click on your current view (default is All Items)-->move to Sort section and select "Modified" from ddl as shown in pic-_>then save. Now you will always see new item at the top of the page.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion is very good but doesn’t quite give me the required result.

Using your suggestion would show the latest edited or uploaded link in the list but not the most accessed/most popular link in the list.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:25 AM
  • > most accessed/most popular link in the list.

This is the different case. You have to enable auditing to get this report.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-server-help/configure-audit-settings-for-a-site-collection-HA102031737.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-server-help/view-audit-log-reports-HA102039795.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Thanks again, but my original goal is still not realised this way. I do not want reports etc. I want a list of links that has the most accessed links at the top of the list. So that is not associated with date modified sort or report log creation.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:30 AM
  • By design SP does not captures most view/download/accessed data without auditing so if you want to get this data from list itself then you won't get it. You must enable auditing feature or try your own custom solution.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:37 AM
  • That is the reason for my post. I wanted to ask the community for another method to achieve my goal, perhaps using a different type of list or some other approach. At the moment my original question is only partially answered.

• Edited by Kiezza Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:56 AM
  • I'm thinking if i place a "Content query webpart" within the list page then add some SQL filtering i may achieve my goal.
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:48 PM
  • You might want to try this for SQL (i have not tried this):

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/32572/SharePoint-Most-Viewed-Content-Web-Part

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:06 AM