none
Can't unc to \\domainname.com

Question

• I am having issues resolving \\domainname.com, which is my local internal domain, from any computer besides a domain controller.  I can ping domainname.com and it randomly selects an ip from dns that is registered, and an nslookup domainname.com returns a valid list of ips.  I can unc to an IP of a DC and see the netlogon and sysvol shares- it only fails trying to unc to my domainname or netbios name.

The error it returns is: Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:13 PM

Answers

• Resolved.

We had an incorrectly formatted SPN in a managed service account that was created for ADFS.  It's spn registered as host\domainname.com instead of host/adfs.domainname.com

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:04 PM
  • I am having issues resolving \\domainname.com, which is my local internal domain, from any computer besides a domain controller.  I can ping domainname.com and it randomly selects an ip from dns that is registered, and an nslookup domainname.com returns a valid list of ips.  I can unc to an IP of a DC and see the netlogon and sysvol shares- it only fails trying to unc to my domainname or netbios name.

Something's amiss here. \\pcname\sharename implies a specific computer and or shared resource whereas domainname.com is the entire domain. If you're trying to access a shared resource on your domain controller then try \\DCName

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:54 AM
  • Ok, well I don't understand that logic and by the way pinging or mapping \\domainname.com does not work here either.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:58 PM

All replies

Something's amiss here. \\pcname\sharename implies a specific computer and or shared resource whereas domainname.com is the entire domain. If you're trying to access a shared resource on your domain controller then try \\DCName

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:54 AM
  • Dave,

I agree but it still shouldn't fail.  It should just choose a random DC. We are having some Kerberos issues as well and trying to rule out if the unc issue is related in any way.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Ok, well I don't understand that logic and by the way pinging or mapping \\domainname.com does not work here either.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Resolved.

We had an incorrectly formatted SPN in a managed service account that was created for ADFS.  It's spn registered as host\domainname.com instead of host/adfs.domainname.com

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Thanks for the solution Jeremy. I had the exact same issue.

For those wondering where to go from here, the service account responsible was svc_adfs. This command listed the offending SPN (host/domain): 

setspn -L  svc_adfs 

I then used ADSIEdit to remove the spn from the managed service account. I can browse the \\DOMAIN UNC path again and our event logs are no longer full of KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED errors. 

Monday, June 30, 2014 12:49 AM