none
Applying a Retention Policy Tag to Sub-Folders of InBox

Question

• Our management wants an email policy that moves the Inbox and any subfolders to an Archive if an item is older than 30 days. This we're doing without issue.

Now they'd like to be able to, after 30 days in the Archive, delete anything in the Archive Inbox but leaving any sub-folders under the Inbox untouched. I can't find a way to do this. Is this beyond the scope of Exchange 2010 Retention Policies?

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandy,

Yes, seems like there is no way to control the Personal Tags settings for end users directly.

Maybe you have to open end users' mailboxes via Outlook(Full access permission) to modify the settings.

By the way, let your end users know your company's archive/retention policy first, otherwise they may be confused: "Where are my mails?"

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Friday, February 24, 2012 3:25 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 4:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Sandy,

Archive-> Do you mean Personal Archive mailbox?

"delete anything in the Archive Inbox but leaving any sub-folders under the Inbox untouched. "

You can try to create a personal tag with retention disabled and apply it to the subfolders.

By the way, please make a test first.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hello Frank,

Yes, I do mean a Personal Archive mailbox. Sorry, I got the naming a bit off.

We did see we could use Personal Tags to accomplish our goals however it appears that we would have to depend on the end-user to apply the Personal Tags. Is this correct? We'd prefer to enforce folder setting ourselves.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Hi Sandy,

Yes, seems like there is no way to control the Personal Tags settings for end users directly.

Maybe you have to open end users' mailboxes via Outlook(Full access permission) to modify the settings.

By the way, let your end users know your company's archive/retention policy first, otherwise they may be confused: "Where are my mails?"

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Friday, February 24, 2012 3:25 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Hello Frank,

Thanks for the clarification. We were hoping to be able to control our InBox sub-folders in a central manner however it looks like that's not possible. We'll have to see if there's any third-party solutions that might solve our issue.

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:24 PM