none
Using Media Services to produce an .asx file that is playable in Windows Media Player

Question

• Hi, 

Thank you for reading this post. I am trying to integrate streaming media into our Digital Signage Server (Netpresenter). 

I've setup a Win2008 R2 server with IIS, IIS Smooth Streaming and IIS Media Services 4 as per micosoft's documentation. I am sending content via MS Expression Encoder (licensed) to the streaming server. I've tested this and it works (ie - opened a browser, entered my URL - http://mysite.com/livestream/live1.html)

Our digital signage solution is a bit specific and requires an .asx file format. I understand that .asx is an instruction file (or playlist) that must contain links to content. How can I produce an .asx file for my stream?

Thank you very much for you reply.

Sincerely,

Tariq Khan

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• ASX files are typically used with Windows Media Services and Windows Media Player.  ASX files are just playlists for playing WMV videos coming from WMS.  Is it actually a WMV video file that is required?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:29 PM
    Owner
  • Hello, 

Thank you very much for your reply. My apologies for not having replied earlier. For last year's event, I decided to revert to Windows Encoder 9 and to send an appropriate stream to my digital signage server.

The quality was adequate but lacking. I plan to improve on that and hence, revisit (our already purchased) MS Expressions Encoder.

I shall read the docmentation on creating an ASX file. If I have problems, I'll post here.

Thank you once more.

Sincerely,

Tariq

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:13 AM