none
Okay to install guest VM on host Server partition?

Question

• Hi folks.  Just wondering what the thoughts might be on installing a guest VM on the hyper V host array.  We've been making a host array and seperate VM array for most of our servers and I was wondering if it's okay to install a VM on the host array partition.  Thoughts?  Thanks.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• the only fear is that the OS drive/array will become filled if the vm's are too large and set to differencing/dynamic. If you have tons of space and leave plenty for the swap file for the vhost , then there is no real issues. Do the math and use fixed vhd(x)'s. I would leave at least 50gbs for the swap file and future patches. 

James_Stephan@yahoo.com visit my blog stephanco.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:14 PM
  • the only fear is that the OS drive/array will become filled if the vm's are too large and set to differencing/dynamic. If you have tons of space and leave plenty for the swap file for the vhost , then there is no real issues. Do the math and use fixed vhd(x)'s. I would leave at least 50gbs for the swap file and future patches. 

James_Stephan@yahoo.com visit my blog stephanco.blogspot.com

Okay so no disc contention issues that would occur?  I'm pretty sure the host does very little and I would definitely be using static VHDs.  The thought would be to have SBS 2008 VHD on the host partition and have all the data and exchange on another partition/array/VHD.  Sound good?
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:30 PM
  • The other concern is IO performance.  Again, a storage issue.

And, don't forget planning for the space needed by the .BIN file.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:30 PM
  • The other concern is IO performance.  Again, a storage issue.

And, don't forget planning for the space needed by the .BIN file.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Right but is there really a lot of IO going on on just the Host array?  I don't believe there is.  Secondly, HyperV defaults the C: partition to use for VHDs anyway so I'm guessing it wouldn't do that if it was terrible.  Sure it all depends on what you're running on it but if it's just a DC with exchange and the files on a different array, I can't imagine it's that troubling to the Host partition/array.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:52 PM
  • The host has some disk IO.  Yes, It is small for only itself.

But VMs can have high disk IO and therefore a bigger impact than you might think.  Just be aware.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 02, 2013 1:45 AM