none
Can't move toobars in IE 9 with Toolbars Unlocked

Question

• According to the IE 9 help files, I should be able to move and resize the various IE 9 toolbars by clicking and draging on the "command bar separator" but this does not seem to work.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:12 PM

Answers

• yes, that is fine.  I will mark this as answered.
    Gary Frickey
    • Marked as answer by gf1 Friday, October 21, 2011 10:09 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

(1st) Make sure the Toolbars are Unlocked.  Put the cursor on the separator, get a dbl arrow <--> & hold the mouse button down & you will now be able to drag the separator left to right or vice versa & alter the amount of space being used by sliding.

Also, 'grabbing' atoolbar, in a similar manner, you can then, basically, pick it up & move its location or change its placement.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

If the Toolbars Unlocked, you can resize the toolbars via the separator. But  the left separator couldn’t be drag.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:17 AM
  • I tried dragging the separater bar but nothing happens.  I am familiar with how the works in MS Office but it just doesn't work in IE 9.  I have the tool bars unlocked.

When I place the cursor over the tool bar separator, I get a arrow pointing left and right with two vertical bars in the middle.  In the MS Office products, when you click on the tool bar separator, you get a 4 way arrow that allows you to drag the tool bars up to different rows.  This is what I would like to be able to do.

Thanks,
    Gary

Gary Frickey
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I'm having the same problem trying to combine the FAVORITES and ADOBE PDF toolbars.
    The ADOBE toolbar will combine with the MENU toolbar, but FAVORITES won't combine with anything!
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Here is another thread that really bit me earlier this week.  Probably even more frustrating than not being able to move the tool bars. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ieitprocurrentver/thread/3866e1f9-2291-4292-a1df-35904f781a2a

Gary Frickey
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:56 PM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/1f1b80fb-cc2d-46d5-b508-ceea82725928

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Same problem. Can't move the damn toolbars. Load of BS! I've been a user of IE exclusively since IE1, and I've had it. The only toolbar that I can move is the command toolbar, and I can't move it to the menu toolbar, it can only be on the favorites toolbar, or by itself in it's own row. And I can't move the favorites or menu toolbars at all. What good is "Unlock Toolbars" if you can't move them?

I'm literally downloading Firefox 4 and Chrome as I type this.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Try not to get your knickers in a knot over what can be considered 'little things'.  Heck these toolbars you find so irksome don't even need to be 'there', all the time... just as long as or if & when 1 is needed or wanted for something.

Try not to lose sight of the 'big picture'.  It's not really fair to write off an entire browser, (which is, overall & in general, basically superior to the other 2 you mentioned), due to not succeeding in placing or moving some toolbars around in a certain way.

Each to their own, of course.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Yes very, I believe M$ has done this as to disallow moving the 'File' menu bar up top. However it also means the rest of the line is wasted (on a full HD display that's a lot). Common guys let us move the Command bar around; not up top if that's what you want, just around the rest of the window. You know this is just more justification for FF fanboys.

Grover

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Ok, yes, it's no different, no change from prior browsers but, help me out, cus, obviously, I must be missing something, here...

It is necessary to keep (all) these, 'immovable' toolbars on all the time (taking up space), why?
    Monday, April 11, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Ok, yes, it's no different, no change from prior browsers but, help me out, cus, obviously, I must be missing something, here...

It is necessary to keep (all) these, 'immovable' toolbars on all the time (taking up space), why?

It saves time.

If the command or icon you want is right there where you are used to seeing it, you don't have to spend time right clicking or trying to remember or figure out where it is.

By "stacking" the toolbars, we can minimize the space they take up.  If you had one customizable toolbar that was autohide that could satisfy us.

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:08 PM
  • I keep refering back to my original post, why does the documentation say that you can move the tool bars when it appears that you can't?
    Gary Frickey
    Monday, April 11, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Becayse they can be moved, just not as much or the ways you would like.

Again, it's subjective.  What they do or don't do is not a problem for myself (& maybe others, too)... i use what I need or want from them, on an 'if & when' basis; the rest of the time I don't have or keep them showing (anyway).

But, that's just me & I do get your point.

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Same problem. Can't move the damn toolbars. Load of BS! I've been a user of IE exclusively since IE1, and I've had it. The only toolbar that I can move is the command toolbar, and I can't move it to the menu toolbar, it can only be on the favorites toolbar, or by itself in it's own row. And I can't move the favorites or menu toolbars at all. What good is "Unlock Toolbars" if you can't move them?

I'm literally downloading Firefox 4 and Chrome as I type this.

Hi PapaWhiskey -- the Command bar is the toolbar I want to move and can't!  No matter what I try, it insists on being the bottom-most toolbar, left-aligned. I want it right-aligned to the Menu bar.

If you or anyone else knows how to do this (Microsoft's blessing is irrelevent), I would appreciate what info you can provide.

FWIW, I, too, am a longtime Softie dating back to DOS 1.0 and have been a network engineer since then, and on my PC, I rule, not Microsoft. :-)

Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:47 PM
  • I'm hoping that this is an oversight by Microsoft and will be remedied with an update in the future.

It seems illogical to offer us the option to lock-unlock the toolbar if it doesn't result in any change in functionality.

for these few days the hills are alive with cherry blossoms. Longer we should not prize them so.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:07 PM
  • How many folks are bothered by this or like myself, don't find it presents a (real) problem?  (& manage fine the way things are)

Just mark "yes" or "no"... we'll take a wee cenus :) 
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:49 PM
  • As someone who works in IT support, and uses IE for gaming - this is really pissin me off.  Microsoft go on spouting about improving functionality, performance and stability, to make the use of IE9 a better experience, but i have to say "what BS".  By taking away my ability to move taskbars to where i require them, they are stripping down what i can do to personalise my browser and that to me is reducing it's functionality.

And to then have their own support guys telling people how to move the bars, and not actually listening when we tell them their instructions don't work is really and truly bizarre - it seems to me they don't train their support staff properly, or the song sheet they are using is very old >:(

Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Make sure y'all convey your feelings to MS & the IE Build Team.  I'll tell you, from experience & familiarity w/ MS things, complaining to Tech Supprt people does no good.

I will, also, suggest if the discussion (here) was about another browser (there are certainly many) there would still be things various people would like or not like.  You point is well taken but, nothing will ever please everyone all the time or equally.  Some browsers are set up one way, some another, all have little variations, some (items) may be more or less likable than IE.  There can be nice, appealing, useful, usable items & some that seem to fall short or be just plain aggrevating.  We either (learn to) work w/ what there is (have a somewhat frustrated but, maybe pleasant experience) or hate things & dwell in misery OR try to get things changed.  I am not defending MS or IE or advocating one browser over another nor am I excusing anything.

But, do tell the right people & departments what is felt.  Talking to those Call Centre folks in India will accomplish nothing, except to give yourself a headache.

Somewhere in another thread of this Forum I gave a couple of ways to submit such things to Microsoft.  I'll try to find it & put them here, too.

Found it:

Here's a couple of suggestions...

http://wfp.microsoft.com/

http://connect.microsoft.com/

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&ws=canadaen#tab0

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

As a Microsoft Partner & past founding president of an IT Pro User Group I have contacts w/in Microsoft. I cannot give out their E-mailsbut, if the above items don't satisfy... after trying them first, write something up & forward it to me & I'll pass it on to certain people in MS, on your behalf.

Regards,
    Drew
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:24 AM
  • I am also very bothered by the inability to move the toolbars.  I like to set up my favs/links so they are a little arrow or single header, instead I am stuck with the favourites being no more useful than any other directory structure or plastered across my screen. Once again MS makes things worse. I hope someone finds a solution or they repair this problem.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Here try this... (it's very neat & tidy, clean & convenient)...

I have NO icons on my Desktop.  I like things handy, direct & w/ the fewest clicks

1. Make the Favorites Bar show
    2. Add something to it.
    3 Re-hide the Favorites Bar
    4. Enable "Links" on the Taskbar.
    Links consists of whatever has been put to the Fav Bar.

1 cool thing...list in Links can be alphabetized
    Another cool thing... Browser need not be open.  Clicking on an item in "Links" will open the browser & load the site for the item upon which you had wanted/

Between this & Quick Launch things become slick & enjoyable & not, @ all, "plastered across" anything, anywhere  
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Here try this... (it's very neat & tidy, clean & convenient)...

I have NO icons on my Desktop.  I like things handy, direct & w/ the fewest clicks

1. Make the Favorites Bar show
    2. Add something to it.
    3 Re-hide the Favorites Bar
    4. Enable "Links" on the Taskbar.
    Links consists of whatever has been put to the Fav Bar.

1 cool thing...list in Links can be alphabetized
    Another cool thing... Browser need not be open.  Clicking on an item in "Links" will open the browser & load the site for the item upon which you had wanted/

Between this & Quick Launch things become slick & enjoyable & not, @ all, "plastered across" anything, anywhere   With all due respect, Drew, you expressed how you do things on your system, which might be interesting to someone looking to do things as you do them.

With all due respect, Drew, you expressed how you do things on your system, which might be interesting to someone looking to do things as you do them.

You have not acknowledged gf1's need to accomplish things his/her way.

We all would be better served if you have something up your sleeve that would show gf1 how to do what was asked.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Point taken.  As soon as I have a chance I'll look into this further & see if I can come up w/ a more specifically tailored response.

I think I was speaking more to the last person, 'Orthonos'.  And that my suggestion would avoid their aggrivation.  But, I will, also, try to address Gary's concerns, anon.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Microsoft blew it again. Same problem here. Why can't Microsoft provide new releases of software without making all of us go through hell trying to get things back to the way we had them? Now I know why all my friends brag about Firefox. WTG Microsoft! We love to hate you!

Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Actually Firefox has copied IE9.  Uncanny how similar FF 4.0 is to IE9 that was released before it.  Yes, (some) people to like to bash MS & thier products quite arbitrarily.  Personally, although, I use FF sometimes, I prefer the functionality in IE9, even to FF 4.0

I, also, find it less upsetting to enjoy & accept what is than cry or fume over what was.  I have come to enjoy IE9 & admire how good it is while others whinge about toolbars, that I keep hidden... it's all quite subjective.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Gary,

"According to the IE 9 help files, I should be able to move and resize the various IE 9 toolbars by clicking and draging on the "command bar separator" but this does not seem to work."

I finally found a moment to 'play' w/ this...

Aside from the fact that I keep the toolbars 'hidden' except for if & when I need 1 of them for something...  I find I can move them in so much that I can grab the separator & slide/resize them laterally; can move them to have them on separate rows or the Favorites Bar & Command Bar on the same row.  Menu Bar seems to stay on its own row (@ the top).

If. they are kept 'hidden' (or not), the Menu Bar can be made to appear by hitting Alt; hitting it again will make the Menu Bar disappear, again.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Hi Drew,

Thank you for forwarding.  I have two buttons for the Adobe add-on and one for McAfee add-on.  I'm editing my post because I just had success dragging and combining my adobe and mcafee add-ons to the same row, total of three buttons combined.

Grabbed separator on the left and it worked!  Perhaps they've fixed this now?

Mary

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Cool, Mary.  Not sure about "fixed" but, cool.  As, I said, myself I really don't do much w/ this but, it did seem to work when I have tried messing about w/ it.

Certainly Adobe is needed, although I not aware of what Adobe "Add-on" would be needed.

As for McAfee... question comes to mind, why would you have McAfee anything?  I only ask cus since you mention a McAfee Add-on, makes me wonder if you're using McAfee for security, too.  ( just a personal thing... (I) don't care for it, anymore than Norton)

Anyway, thanks, Mary, your note is appreciated.

Cheers,

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Just wanted to second the opinion of some of the earlier posters who complained about not being able to move the command bar to the same row as the menu bar.   I *really* wish I could do that:  it would save vertical real estate (a precious commodity to me), and I'd rather not have to unhide and then re-hide a toolbar when I'm finished using it.   Besides, what's the point in wasting horizontal space?   There's enough horizontal room to put the menu bar, the command bar, and a 3rd bar on the same row.

This should be a really simple thing for Microsoft to implement.   I've got 25 year of software development experience, so I know a thing or two about the subject.

And I hope MS has improved the "Organize Favorites" user interface:  when I tried it in an earlier version of IE, I was amazed that I couldn't select a dozen links and move them all at once to some folder.   *Most* MS applications support multi-select -- why not IE?

Seriously MS, can't you do better than this?

Mike

Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Drew, it sounds like you have drunk the Microsoft Kool-Aid here.

This is a step backwards in functionality. Users notice, and we care. Display real-estate is precious. With the newer wide screen formats, we have more of it side to side, and less top to bottom.

I like to have the Google and LinkedIn toolbars available, as well as the Menu, Favorites and Commands. With IE9, that takes 4 rows of the browser display, when 2 would do fine. I don't like the option of adding and removing them on the fly--that slows me down, making me less productive.

I'm also a long-time IE user, and remember when the 'P' in PC stood for Personal Computer, with the implication that the user can arrange things the way he or she likes them. It seems that it now stands for Paternal Computer, with MS saying "We know what's best for you."

Because you are an MS Partner and Beta Tester, I assume you are in a position to provide some feedback to MS about this, and hope you will do that.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Drew, it sounds like you have drunk the Microsoft Kool-Aid here.

This is a step backwards in functionality. Users notice, and we care. Display real-estate is precious. With the newer wide screen formats, we have more of it side to side, and less top to bottom.

I like to have the Google and LinkedIn toolbars available, as well as the Menu, Favorites and Commands. With IE9, that takes 4 rows of the browser display, when 2 would do fine. I don't like the option of adding and removing them on the fly--that slows me down, making me less productive.

I'm also a long-time IE user, and remember when the 'P' in PC stood for Personal Computer, with the implication that the user can arrange things the way he or she likes them. It seems that it now stands for Paternal Computer, with MS saying "We know what's best for you."

Because you are an MS Partner and Beta Tester, I assume you are in a position to provide some feedback to MS about this, and hope you will do that.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Yes, I will.  BTW, I looked @ this same issue in other browsers & found the same thing; could not combine rows such that 1 could not be eliminated by having it move or be moved to share that same realestate w/ another 'bar'.

I will convey the concern, asap.

Regards,
    Drew
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Well it's 9/28/2011 and they have not fixed this yet. For YEARS basic functionality allowed users to optimize the top of their browser window by dragging toolbars around. C'mon... why not?? I should be able to take one LONG toolbar row and drag a couple toolbars to it (one after the other). It seems now I'm FORCED to put one toolbar per row. WHY? Why would they downgrade the flexibility on such a simple thing? I refuse to believe Microsoft didn't TEST the ability to drag a few Toolbars around. They just wanted to TAKE that ability away. Bull$hlt. 

Side note: When someone in a forum comments that they have unlocked the toolbars and have tried dragging them by the grabber bars - please don't reply with "are you sure you unlocked your toolbars" and "are you sure you tried dragging by the grabbger bars". Little trust here people - don't waste the space.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Drew,

Not to pile on but using FireFox you can combine features into one bar

Title Bar at the top with standard Windows icons (_ min/max X) on the right

Menu Bar combined with command icons and address window on the second row

Tabs allowed to sprawl along the entire length on the third

IE9 wastes the Title Bar, a Quick Access Toolbar would be nice

In MSOffice, the enormous Ribbon can be minimized and you can customize the Title Bar with the most commonly used features using the Quick Access Toolbar

IE9 wastes room on the right side of the Menu Bar where previous versions of IE allowed it to be used by the Command Bar.

To limit the layout to 3 rows the Address Bar and Tabs can be combined on one row but it gets pretty crowded. With a separate row for tabs it goes to 4 and if you add in the Command Bar it goes up to 5 rows.

See if Steve and his posse can make IE as functional as Office

-DK

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:55 AM
  • There are places & ways to communicate to Microsoft.  I gave some such links ealier in this thread.  And I strongly urge y'all to speak up yourselves.  That said, I have just put the concerns from this thread and another from this Forum to Microsoft via Connect... as you asked, as a Partner & Beta Tester I have access to Connect.  I gave the links to both threads, asking them to read them & care about how End Users feel.

I, also, went a step further... I have just E-mailed personal friends & colleagues who are quite well positioned in Microsoft on your behalf.  Again, I gave the URLs to both threads & that y'all find speaking to MS tough & would like your voices to be heard & your feelings to matter.

Regards,
    Drew
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Drew,

Your efforts are appreciated.

I provided feedback using one of the links you provided

This came this morning

While Microsoft does accept suggestions for existing products and services, we do not accept suggestions for new products, technologies, processes. We hope that you understand our intention to avoid any potential misunderstandings or disputes that may arise from submissions of information not related to current Microsoft products. Thus we are returning your information without review.

I chose Internet Explorer from the dropdown and was careful not to mention FireFox

Sadly, this is not the first time I've been 'thanked' by Microsoft.

Hope you had better luck

-DK

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Well, so far, nothing I submitted has been rejected, returned or shunned.  Certainly, I'll pass on whatever response when it comes to these topics.

D

Friday, September 30, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Well, that did not take long...

I have received response, response you may like.  I 've had both replies from the Monitors (staff) from Connect AND a long, personal, non-generic, non-form-letter from a Senior Escalation Engineer on the Developer Support IE team on loan (been over a year) to the IE Product Group to help with the IE 9 Beta and IE 10 Beta.

Both souces have indicated that the issue is/will be looked @ seriously and tabled to the most fitting people, Teams & Departments.

I was, also, asked to put this in the Win 8 Build Forum...part of these Category Forums AND 1 where I already, also, write... as I have already started involving myself w/ Windows 8.

I will keep you updated regarding further communication on this as it comes to me.

Sincerely,
    Drew

Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:42 AM
  • The disregard for the end-user has gotten progressively worse since Bill Gates leadership ended.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 11:01 PM
  • It may be a matter of perspective, perception, subjectivity and a host of other factors... possibly may not be a carte blanche, callous, flippant view towards the millions of people who use the various hardware & software products.  It's unfortunate you feel MS care less & less about the many users that keep them in business.

However, that said, they are taking the concern of this & another thread seriously and getting them tabled to the right people, Teams & Departments. 

I was asked to take the message to MS & it would appear not for naught; was, also, cool to have both Connect and a senior engineer respond, especially w/ a personalized letter and both so very promptly.

Regards,
    Drew
    Computer Issues
    Clients Welcome
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:08 AM
  • HAHA, MS doesn't care about it's end users, money is all it cares about. This subject, saving user profiles and many other screwups MS has made by taking funtionality away from the end user. Win 7 was designed for the brain dead masses at home that barely know how to turn a computer on. it was not meant for the Enterprise. Enterprise was told to go screw themselves with WIN 7. You know what? Enterprise ca tell MS to go screw themselves just as easily. Windows 7 had so many things stripped from it MS should be embarrassed. Like the other guys, when a suggestion is made you're basically told to screw off because they are all mighty and how dare you question the idea of a MS employee. Our migration to Linux is well underway and soon MS will lose a customer with 200 computers. Small potatoes I know, but we are the only ones running away from MS crap. Gee I hope there aren't a lot of cuts at MS because of the departures. Some of the arrogant MS programmers might lose their jobs.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:22 PM
  • A wiff of irony, on the heels of said rant...

As of mid September 2011 Win7 user #s & sales #s, overall adoption had surpassed XP... short story, that's a lot of ppl.  Somehow, for some reason or reasons, for different, varying factors or really doesn't matter why, its acceptance is widespread & global.

Things are subjective, flux according to individual vantage point but, seems many, well, maybe those many folks insulted for their lack of computer-savy, just find 7 easy not, gutted OR just use it as part of their jobs or lives, frequently or rarely w/out thinking more than, it's a computer & I do stuff on & or w/ it & on they go.  Some may go one path, some another & it's all good.  Options & choice are blessings, as is one's ability & opportunity to pick.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:44 AM
  • I just "upgraded" my wife's PC to IE9.

I know this thread has been going on for a long time. I'll ask a sub-question: is it possible to place the open tabs immediately above the open window?

Thanks

Joe

Friday, October 21, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Yes, Joe.

Go to the GEAR icon @ the top-right of the IE9 window.
    Rt Click
    Select, "Show tabs on a separate row"

Cheers,
    Drew

Computer Issues
    Clients Welcome
    • Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Friday, October 21, 2011 7:23 PM
    • Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:46 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 7:23 PM
  • This answer doesn't really address my original question about being able to move the tool bars around so that they can all be on one line since I have a wide screen monitor.  As a result, I don't want to mark Drew's last comment as "answered".

I sort of doubt if this will ever change in IE 9 but maybe in IE 10?

Gary Frickey
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:01 PM
  • My answer, though, however, DOES answer Joe's query.

Your query, I believe has been addressed as much as possible during the course of this thread.

Joe's question is different from your concern.  Someone else will likely mark my answer to HIS query as valid.

Thank you,
    Drew
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:24 PM
  • yes, that is fine.  I will mark this as answered.
    Gary Frickey
    • Marked as answer by gf1 Friday, October 21, 2011 10:09 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Cool

Drew
    Friday, October 21, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Yes, Joe.

Go to the GEAR icon @ the top-right of the IE9 window.
    Rt Click
    Select, "Show tabs on a separate row"

Cheers,
    Drew

Computer Issues
    Clients Welcome
    • Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:48 PM
  • i had ie8 running on a windows 7 home laptop and was having trouble with my pop ups working so i decided to uninstall and reinstall ie8 - BIG MISTAKE because there was no option for windows 7 using ie8 as a download so i had to download ie9 AND I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!!!!!!  i can't move the stupid command bar to the left of the screen where it belongs and everything looks ugly and i hate it.  what can i do to fix this - it is really ruining my whole online experience - i wish i could get used to another browser but apparently i can't.  please help.
    Monday, March 05, 2012 3:59 AM
  • i had ie8 running on a windows 7 home laptop and was having trouble with my pop ups working so i decided to uninstall and reinstall ie8 - BIG MISTAKE because there was no option for windows 7 using ie8 as a download so i had to download ie9 AND I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!!!!!!  i can't move the stupid command bar to the left of the screen where it belongs and everything looks ugly and i hate it.  what can i do to fix this - it is really ruining my whole online experience - i wish i could get used to another browser but apparently i can't.  please help.

lol and +1
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:08 AM
  • This is somewhat related to my original post from last year.  I have noticed that about once a week, the tool bar items realign to separate lines even though I have the toolbar "locked".  I have the Norton tool bar and the Adobe tool bar setup to be on the same line as the standard "File...Edit...View" tool bar.  Even though I have IE 9 set to "lock the toolbar" about once a week or so, the Norton and Adobe tool bars get reset to their own line under the standard tool bar.  Then I unlock the tool bar, drag the Norton and Adobe back to their desired position on the same line as the standard tool bar, and relock the tool bar.

I guess "locked" doesn't really mean "locked".

Gary Frickey

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Ever considered whether there is, actually, a real need for toolbars, @ all, in the 1st place?

Also, makes one wonder if this means (god forbid) Norton security is being used, too.

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:25 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:24 AM
    Just uninstall IE9 using "Programs and features" in the Control Panel.  Windows 7 will revert to IE8, the default.
    • Proposed as answer by SaltyDog1950 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Would be wiser, if, indeed it might be viewed as a 1-or-the-other thing, to go w/out the unnecessary toolbars than, go back(wards) to IE8.  9 is far better than, 8.  Toolbars are not far better than, anything.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:35 AM
  • In addition to the instability of the Toolbars, I immediately had problems with the stability of multiple tabs open in Internet Explorer after we upgraded to Windows 7 and IE 9.  Your solution was the perfect answer: jetison IE 9 for 8.  All problems solved.  IE 9 is still not ready for prime time.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:53 PM
  • I must say, personally, I have not experienced any problems w/ IE9.  Maybe, I'm just lucky.  Have noticed, though, when browsers get upgraded/updated some sites don't keep pace.  That's usually when Folks tend to point a finger (erroneously) @ the browser.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:31 AM
  • I tried all of those steps.  The next time I open a new tab, all of the toolbars move to their own row wasting screen space.

Mark E Manly

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:52 PM

• Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

• Edited by Drew1903 Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:32 PM
  • I was able to move my Norton Toolbar which was wasting a whole line all by itself up to what I guess Is the Menu Bar (File, Edit etc.) by doing what every one else has suggested. Hover mouse at separator till you get the 2 way arrows and drag. It took some persistence. You can drag the Command bar to the same line as the Favorites bar the same way, but as others have pointed out, you can move some toolbars to certain places but not to others. Go figure.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Not meaning to 'stir the pot' but, why have a Norton Toolbar, in the 1st place?  & if, that implies having Norton in the machine, why on Earth would that be there?  Yuckie-poo.  Sorry, carrying on... my pondering needs no response.

I'm not a fan of (such) Toolbars, period.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:09 AM
  • it looks like (from messing around with it) that you can readjust most toolbars EXCEPT the favorites toolbar. I combined my norton toolbar with the menu and messed around with a couple others, but favorites won't budge.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Do you mean "Favorites" OR the Favorites Bar?  IF, you mean the Favorites Bar, here's a great suggestion...

Enable the Favorites Bar when & while you want to Add a site to it.  The rest of the time OR really, all the time have the Links Toolbar on the Taskbar... Links reflects the contents of the Favorites Bar; ergo, w/out having the Favorites Bar, even, showing, one, still, has easy access to its contents and being bothered by that toolbar is eliminated.  And from Links one can go to one of those sites w/out, even, having a browser open (1st).

• Edited by Drew1903 Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 2:42 AM
  • I like to add folders to the Favorites/Links Bar.  These folders can even have subfolders.

In IE and the Taskbar, I get pulldown or pullup cascadable menus of my links.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Clever idea, Brian.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:17 AM
  • It is great that MS seemed to be taking this problem seriously back in Oct. 2011.  However, it seems that nothing has been done.  I echo the comments about the incredible wasted space.  The menu, command, and status bars could all be combined into one instead of three.  In any event, all I want to do is add a print icon somewhere without adding the entire command bar.  Is there a way to do this?
    Monday, August 27, 2012 1:01 PM
  • ... overall & in general, basically superior to the other 2 you mentioned ...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, IE doesn't even render HTML strict properly, far superior...

And this problem still isn't fixed...

Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Two years later and IE 10 its successor still doesn't work. I was brought to this thread with the Bing search of "unlocking toolbars on IE 10 is a joke because you can't resize them". I have a Trend Micro ONE SINGLE BUTTON on a TOOLBAR.....let me repeat ONE SINGLE SOLITARY BUTTON on a TOOLBAR that some programmer decided from Trend Micro for their Trend Micro Browser Guard product couldn't be resized or have the button added to another toolbar like the command bar. At least LastPass allows for that albeit it is not LastPass' default option also originally getting a single button on a single toolbar. One could end up with a lot of single buttons on a lot of toolbars and if you try to hide them the only option then presented to you is they are going to be "disabled". IE 10 when you unlock the toolbars is a joke for you can't move the toolbars around to resize them or put them all on one row like the early days of IE. IE is pretty sleek, but I find myself using Google Chrome now about 90% of the time. Don't care for the Google "apps", but do love a few of their extensions and I can slide those little buttons anywhere I want. I can also theme the browser. Come on Microsoft don't get like the politicians and Carl Sunstein and that lunatic radical bunch who think we are sheep who, as Sunstein once commented, we can just "nudge" them in the way we want to go. We are not sheep and we won't be nudged by the politicians, who like to create a crisis then propose the solution, and now apparently by the programmers with the same arrogant attitude, i.e. you'll take what we decide to give you, or at least they are giving the appearance of such from this perspective. Many of us didn't care for the last Gnome desktop 3 that came out for Linux and walked away. Many of us didn't care for the Unity desktop that Canonical Ltd. implemented in  Ubuntu 12.04 and walked away. We're not sheep and when you least expect it, those sheep will spend THEIR dollars on consumers goods that do what THEY want them to do and not what your programmers want them to do. Google and Apple both are eating into your markets and when it comes to phones and tablets they are the markets and you are the "man" outside looking in so quit thinking and behaving like a bureaucratic behemoth and remember the customer again for the first time if I can plagiarize a line from a Kellogg's commercial. Get rid of the programmers arrogance or at least the perception that it is exists and go back to designing for what the customer wants and now what you want to give them. That my two cents. So peeved about not being able to (well "so peeved" keeping this all in perspective lol) put that one little button and resize all the toolbars, after "unlocking" the toolbars which is a joke, I'm closing out IE 10 and going to play with my Google Chrome until it makes me mad. LOL Then I'll try out Opera, FireFox or some other new browser which I have never tried. Who knows there may be a new browser leader lurking right out there on the horizon.

• Edited by Greycoat Monday, April 15, 2013 12:08 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 12:03 AM
  • I have moved all 2 of my toolbars, onto the Menu Bar. So I have three toolbars all on one line now. Great! But, the Command bar refuses to budge. It doesn't want to move anywhere. It's a shame, not a tragedy. It's the only toobar that offers a Mail button that allows me to access Yahoo eMail.

Anyone know of another method of getting yahoo mail directly accessed from a toolbar button?

Dave

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:44 PM
  • On IE 10, I have successfully moved all 2 of my toolbars, onto the Menu Bar. So I have three toolbars all on one line now. Great! But, the Command bar refuses to budge. It doesn't want to move anywhere. It's a shame, not a tragedy. It's the only toolbar that offers a Mail button that allows me to access Yahoo eMail.

Anyone know of another method of getting yahoo mail directly accessed from a toolbar button?

Dave

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Dave,

3 ways, 3 suggestions:

1. Pin the site/page to the Taskbar.
    2. Commit it to the Favourites Bar.  Enable the Links Toolbar.  Now, after things are added to the Favourites Bar it can be closed and anything on it can be accessed from Links (on the taskbar) AND w/out, even, having the browser open 1st.
    3. Create a desktop icon for 'it'.  Enable Desktop Toolbar.  Now, even w/out having any desktop icons showing, all desktop stuff can be accessed from the Desktop Toolbar, again, from the Taskbar.

Cheers,
    Drew

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Monday, July 29, 2013 11:03 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 11:02 PM
  • This it the 3rd thing this week that I spent hours on trying to understand something that doesn't appear to work correctly with MS. Firefox aside, Linux aside, my next PC will be an Apple. All this talk is still among everyone in the family. I'm getting out of the family, sister and son already have...and now I know why!
    Monday, October 14, 2013 5:17 PM
  • I will not partake in a debate on this topic.  That said, I do recommend one updating, upgrading and using IE10 or even, w/ Windows 8.1, IE 11.

Myself, I only have Toolbars in the IE browser showing if & when I need something of any of them.  They are not showing until, unless & only whilst I need something of or in them... ergo their precise or exact arrangement is rather a moot & irrelevant point.

Further, it does seem like a bit of a stretch to wholly & carte blanche write off & condemn Microsoft because one can't organise toolbars just the way ones thinks should be possible or wants said ability to exist.

But, hey, each to their own, eh?

Cheers,
    Drew

• Edited by Drew1903 Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:02 AM
  • So here we are years later from the original start of this thread.  I'm in the middle of setting up a new PC w/ Win7 & ie11.  And OMG, this problem still exists.  I STILL can't customize the toolbars in a way that saves real estate. 

This is a a braindead-obvious thing to allow.

What can MS possibly be thinking?  Why can't they just let things work the way they used to while still adding new ways to let things work?

Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Yep, the thread & the discussion has been over a long while.  I have stayed out of it, for the most part.

It's hard to debate something that you, personally, never had strike you as a problem.  Anyway, I just happened to read this having noticed there was a recent addition.

And it made me think...  I remember messing about w/ toolbars back in IE 9 & later, I guess, just to see & know what could be done.  IE11, hmmm.  Then, I considered how I use the IE browser & Toolbars.  Maybe, this is why I have a hard time to relate to the issue.  I don't have any... showing.  Since, what IE10 or was it 9, anyway, Toolbars could be 'hidden'.  I, just speaking for myself, mind you, use Links (Taskbar Toolbar), the same content as Favorites Bar... so, I only grab a Toolbar if & when I need something of one including, Favorites Bar.  Ergo, I don't sweat manipulating them much cus I'm not looking @ them.  Until & unless something is needed from one of them, they are not lessening the body of the browser... So where they are while they can't be seen isn't a big deal TO ME.

But, that's just to me, mind you.

Cheers,
    Drew

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Did you try right clicking on the top of IE and uncheck "lock the toolbars'?

I overlooked that and it worked for me. 

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:30 PM