Update to WIN 8.1?

Question

• Hi - 

I have a PC with a legit copy of Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.   This license keys (WIN 8 Pro and Media Center) was obtained during the WIN8 upgrade in November of 2012.

I downloaded WIN 8.1 RTM and attempted to use that to update Win 8.  RTM asks for the WIN 8 license key and rejects the license keys.  What am I missing here?  Will Win 8.1 RTM only accept a Technet license key?  Should it accept my WIN8 Pro license key?

Thanks.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• The Windows 8.1 (Build 9600) will only accept a product key for that particular build.  Therefore, you cannot use a Windows 8 (Build 9200) product key with Windows 8.1. If you wish to upgrade to Windows 8.1, I suggest you wait until the Windows 8.1 Update is officially released on October 18, 2013 from the Windows Store.

Please note that the Windows 8.1 media on MSDN/TechNet was intended only for developers who perform a "clean install" of Windows 8.1 using the MSDN/TechNet Windows 8.1 product keys.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Please note that the Windows 8.1 media on MSDN/TechNet was intended only for developers who perform a "clean install" of Windows 8.1 using the MSDN/TechNet Windows 8.1 product keys.

.....after which you may, if you wish, install Windows Media Center using the original key you obtained for it.......

• Marked as answer by rbdmg02 Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:06 AM
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:27 PM

All replies

• The Windows 8.1 (Build 9600) will only accept a product key for that particular build.  Therefore, you cannot use a Windows 8 (Build 9200) product key with Windows 8.1. If you wish to upgrade to Windows 8.1, I suggest you wait until the Windows 8.1 Update is officially released on October 18, 2013 from the Windows Store.

Please note that the Windows 8.1 media on MSDN/TechNet was intended only for developers who perform a "clean install" of Windows 8.1 using the MSDN/TechNet Windows 8.1 product keys.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Please note that the Windows 8.1 media on MSDN/TechNet was intended only for developers who perform a "clean install" of Windows 8.1 using the MSDN/TechNet Windows 8.1 product keys.

.....after which you may, if you wish, install Windows Media Center using the original key you obtained for it.......

• Marked as answer by rbdmg02 Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:06 AM
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:27 PM