Windows 8 Applications don't close after closing them.

Question

• Hi, there.

If you open a Modern App and then you close it, it does not close completely. If you see the Task Manager, the application thinks it is suspended, not closed.

As you can see in this picture, I don't have any other app opened:

But, when I looked into the Task Manager, or Process Explorer, the app is still there as Suspended:

Try yourself if you can.  

Blog | Twitter

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• How do you close them?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:41 PM
  • How do you close them?

By right clicking and Close, or dragging to the button. They didn't close.

The only way I have found is by pressing ALT + F4.

Blog | Twitter

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:44 PM
  • It seems to me to be a design decision to revert back to what it was in Windows 8 Developer Preview.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 8:53 AM
  •  or dragging to the button. They didn't close.

hold the mouse for a few seconds:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/i-cant-close-any-app-with-the-swipe-down-gesture/6133b80d-05db-4975-8849-fb406c7d7140

Microsoft changed how this works.

Drag down to bottom of screen and hold (so app is about halfway off the screen) and wait for animation that flips the tile to its Store Logo. It will take a few second to disappear from taskmgr if you check there.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:48 PM
  •  or dragging to the button. They didn't close.

hold the mouse for a few seconds:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/i-cant-close-any-app-with-the-swipe-down-gesture/6133b80d-05db-4975-8849-fb406c7d7140

Microsoft changed how this works.

Drag down to bottom of screen and hold (so app is about halfway off the screen) and wait for animation that flips the tile to its Store Logo. It will take a few second to disappear from taskmgr if you check there.

Yes, same as CTRL + F4. But, I don't think that is a good idea, it should still working same way as Win8. Anyway, we will see what happen next.

Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Dragging the modern app off the bottom of the screen doesn't fully close the app..... (left running in taskmanager)
    Right clicking and choosing close from the top left corner "Switcher Bar" does not fully close the app.... (left running in taskmanager

Microsoft has changed how this works...
    My question is, is this a bug or a feature?

Drag the app to the bottom and wait till it flips over and release does fully closes the app... (disappears from taskmanager)
    Alt +F4 fully closes the app.... (disappears from taskmanager)

I don't actually see any long term benefit or upside of leaving app remnants still sort of running (consuming memory).
    If I swipe or drag it off the bottom of the screen or right click and choose close from the top left corner "Switcher Bar" my intentions are clear... I would like the app to close... close completely.... no remnants.

Seems more of a bug

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:41 PM
  • +1 for the Bug. Even when the way you close Modern Apps has changed.

Blog | Twitter

Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:51 PM