none
Intel Video Card Driver not loading properly after Imaging Windows 7 PC using MDT2012

Question

• Missing Intel Video Card driver after imaging Windows 7 PC.

I was hoping someone could provide some assistance with this. I've looked through some forums, however I still cannot seem to get this working.

Setup is as follows: Using MDT2012, WAIK for Windows 7, Custom Windows 7 image that I have installed all drivers on.

For some reason, after I sysprep and capture the image, then deploy it down to the PC, all drivers are working fine except just one. The problem driver is for an onboard Video Card: Intel HD Graphics.

In Device Manager, it says "Reinstall the drivers for this device"

I have tried adding the drivers to the Deployment share, however still not working.

Any suggestions/assistance anyone can provide?

Thank you so much.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:37 PM

Answers

• The links Stephan posted look perfect, just remember and extract the contents of the downloaded file. The files you want to import to MDT are in the folder with the .inf, .cat & .sys files. I like to use Uniextract as my generic extraction tool, although a lot of driver installers have a switch that allows you to expand the contents without actually installing them directly. You will be unable to import a .exe file as a driver (apologies if I'm saying stuff that's perfectly obvious to you, but in my time I've seen some people do some weird things :) )
    • Marked as answer by rapplin Friday, June 15, 2012 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:26 PM

All replies

• Can you post/upload your ZTIDrivers.log, without that it could take quite some time and lots of guesswork :)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Ok. But how can I upload it? Does this forum support file uploads?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Plenty of choices on the internet - here's one example http://pastebin.com/
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Unless you have a very good reason to actually include the drivers in the image itself, we generally always recommend to keep the images themselves driverless. And let the drivers be imported by MDT on a as-needed basis.

I generally tend to install the graphics drivers as "applications" and query for the vendorID which graphics driver to install, since with amd for example, their control panel won't be installed on the computer if the drivers are merely injected.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Tx. here is the link. I hope this works.

http://pastebin.com/RNeFiF4s

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Stephan. I am going to try the driverless image approach to see if that will help.

I'll do a search on adding applications and how to set it to query for the VendorID.

I have yet to do that, but hopefully it isn't too difficult.

In the meantime, does the ZTIDrivers.log show anything unusual? I looked at it myself, but couldn't make sense of it enough (yet) for it to be clear to me.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:18 PM
  • My log file wasn't public. Sorry about that. It is now so you can see it.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:25 PM
  • There's nothing *wrong* with the log, it just shows us that as you are seeing yourself, there's no valid video driver being injected.

I 100% agree with not including any drivers in the image itself but I disagree with installing things as applications. It's very much personal preference unless there is some required functionality that you miss out on by not installing as an application.

Anyway, could you post the device ID of the missing video driver (save me trawling through the million device IDs in the drivers log) and we'll be able to come up with the correct file to download/extract/inject to get you up and running.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Thanks.

The Vendor ID is :

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_304A103C&REV_02

I have downloaded the driver straight from HP's website for this particular PC and also installed it using the .exe. It is working fine that way.

However like you said, if you also can come up with the right driver, it would be great.

Nonetheless, we don't need the application that comes with it (Intel graphics management software), so just getting the simple driver in would be optimal.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:57 PM
  • These drivers should be the correct ones, pretty sure they are more recent then the ones published by HP. I personally prefer reference drivers over drivers released by OEM's in particular for graphics cards, again this is a personal opinion though.

From what I remember, you can't strip out the management software from the intel drivers unless you modify the .inf file to specify which files should be copied.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20841&ProdId=3319&lang=eng (32-bit)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20843&ProdId=3319&lang=eng (64-bit)

You'll only need the drivers located in the "graphics" folder.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:00 PM
  • The links Stephan posted look perfect, just remember and extract the contents of the downloaded file. The files you want to import to MDT are in the folder with the .inf, .cat & .sys files. I like to use Uniextract as my generic extraction tool, although a lot of driver installers have a switch that allows you to expand the contents without actually installing them directly. You will be unable to import a .exe file as a driver (apologies if I'm saying stuff that's perfectly obvious to you, but in my time I've seen some people do some weird things :) )
    • Marked as answer by rapplin Friday, June 15, 2012 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Thank you both. I will be trying this out this afternoon and I'll provide feedback soon.

BTW, I have already tried this, however I did it with an image of 7 that I had already installed the drivers on. This time I will not include any drivers except the netcard and capture that, then import into MDT, then deploy with drivers in the respective folder in the deployment share.

Will know shortly.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Sheesh.

Well, I created a new Distribution Share to do testing with this... and wouldn't you know it.... I am running into the problem now where I cannot connect to the Dist share. I've tried multiple new ones and also have confirmed the settings in boostrap.ini that the deployroot is exactly what it should be.

Something interesting though. When the error comes up, it is showing the path to an OLD share I had created and originally was testing with.

For some reason even after creating a brand new Dist Share, and editing the bootstrap.ini and cs, it is still erroring out and showing an old path from a previous distribution share that has since been DELETED. VEry weird...

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Having edited your bootstrap.ini did you update your deployment share? And if so, are you definitely using the newly generated LiteTouchPE_x86.iso and/or LiteTouchPE_x86.wim

This means updating your CD/DVD/USB stick/WDS.

The only reason it could be looking for your old DS is because your Windows PE media is outdated.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:28 PM
  • I certainly have updated it. I've actually gone through 3 new deployment shares now. This is really odd.

And yes, I'm adding the updated .wim to WDS.

I also completely regenerated the boot images when updating the Deployment share

I've done this hundreds of times..... and all of a sudden it's now doing something I'm not expecting.

• Edited by rapplin Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:43 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I should be able to mount the .wim I have imported into wds and using to boot with correct?

And then I can take a look at the bootstrap.ini file?

I'll do this and see what I find.

• Edited by rapplin Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:07 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Yep, boot up, press F8 then type "notepad X:\Deploy\Scripts\Bootstrap.ini" and see what it says.

Also mount your LiteTouchPE_x64.wim (or x86) and check bootstrap there.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I pressed F8, called up the bootstrap.ini and in fact it has the Correct path....   I don't know what the heck is going on now...

EVerything including the bootstrap.ini shows exactly what it should.

HOWEVER the error message indicates an old share....

Suggestions?

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Perhaps theres something left on the hard drive so you could try cleaning the hard drive.

Boot to PE, press F8 then type the following commands:

diskpart

select disk 0

clean

exit

Then reboot and try again.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Wow! That worked Andrew. I had thought the disk was already being partitioned/formatted in the process.

I'll have to look at that now and ensure this happens.

Follow up shortly with the Video card driver challenge....

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:24 PM
  • It happens sometimes. There would have just been a C:\Minint folder on the machine, deleting that manually would have done the same, but its so much easier to just tell people to clean the whole disk. When PE booted up it ran a quick scan of the drives where it found what it thought was a partially run build so rather than looking to your bootstrap to connect to the DS it read your variables.dat which contained the old settings.

Anyway, one problem down :)

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Looks like it worked. Now I have to add the rest of the drivers to the OOB drivers folder in my deployment share.

Is it ok to also ask now, how do I set the default resolution to something higher than what MDT currently is using ?  I've read that there are several ways to do this. I suppose the easiest would be the best for me. Can this be done somewhere in the Task Sequence?

I'm going to have a look too.

Thank you for your help.

Do I just click on 'Mark as Answer' for the resolution in one of your replies?

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:12 PM
  • To set the resolution you could either manually configure your unattend.XML using the WSIM, or you could use the variables XResolution and YResolution (and BitsPerPel and VRefresh) in your customsettings/MDTDatabase. You would be best setting it on a machine by machine basis though soI'd suggest not hardcoding it in your xml.

As for "Mark as Answer", select the post  that has been the most useful to resolving the issue, that way when people search for the same/similar issues they can quickly see what was done to fix/debug it.

Good news that you're on the way to a full build now :)

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:26 PM