Storage Space Drives being marked as retired - HELP

Question

• Hello

I have 3 (brand new)WD 4gb SATA RED drives set up in a storage space on my windows 2012 essentials R2 preview, and a backup storage space configured (parity mode). Here's the thing - 1 or more of the drives keep on getting marked as retired. Right now i have 2 that are marked. I can't remove the drives from the pool (because its parity) without removing the storage space (before which i have to repoint the backups folder - its a pain!). I did this once, and everything checked out fine with the drives, I even did a complete format of them.  I 'repaired the drive' from the windows server dashboard, and that checked out fine - though i have my suspicions that it is doing anything with the hard drives in qn.

I found KB2842575 on microsoft.com which seem to describe my problem but the hotfix/rollup etc won't install as they are 'not applicable'. I can also see a couple posts on this forum which seem similar, though no solution that i can see and apply here. 

I sincerely doubt that all 3 drives are faulty (and one time or another they've all been marked as retired). Does anyone know how to 'bring them out of retirement' and why this may be happening?

thanks

DW

Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:39 PM

All replies