none
How to install/enable SIS in Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials?

Question

• I've just installed Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials in a Hyper-V VM and am struggling to figure out how to enable/install SIS (Single Instance Storage).

Can someone please provide some steps on how to do this? Should it be installed by default?

Cheers

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:35 PM

Answers

• I do not beleive this role service is available on Storage Server 2008 r2 Essentials

Robert Pearman SBS MVP | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:55 PM
  • storage server essentials /storage server - are indeed two different products :)

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

The Single Instance Storage (SIS) feature reduces the amount of space that is used to store data on a volume. By default, Single Instance Storage (SIS) is installed in Windows Storage Server 2008, but it is not enabled on any volumes.

Note: Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials and Windows Storage Server 2008 are different productions.

In Windows Storage Server 2008, you could follow the procedures below to enable SIS for each volume:

1. In Share and Storage Management, on the Volumes tab, click the volume for which you want to enable SIS.

2. In the Actions pane, click Properties.

3. On the Advancedtab, select the Enable SIS on this volumecheck box, and then click OK.

However, in Windows Server 2008 R2 Essentials, Enable SIS is not available:

I agree with Robert, just adding some information here, it might be helpful. :)

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:21 AM

All replies

• I do not beleive this role service is available on Storage Server 2008 r2 Essentials

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:55 PM
  • OK, thanks. Looks like I have the wrong download then. I will try the following via MSDN:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2010/09/27/windows-storage-server-2008-r2-and-the-microsoft-iscsi-software-target-3-3-are-available-on-msdn-technet-here-s-how-to-install-them.aspx

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:11 PM
  • storage server essentials /storage server - are indeed two different products :)

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

The Single Instance Storage (SIS) feature reduces the amount of space that is used to store data on a volume. By default, Single Instance Storage (SIS) is installed in Windows Storage Server 2008, but it is not enabled on any volumes.

Note: Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials and Windows Storage Server 2008 are different productions.

In Windows Storage Server 2008, you could follow the procedures below to enable SIS for each volume:

1. In Share and Storage Management, on the Volumes tab, click the volume for which you want to enable SIS.

2. In the Actions pane, click Properties.

3. On the Advancedtab, select the Enable SIS on this volumecheck box, and then click OK.

However, in Windows Server 2008 R2 Essentials, Enable SIS is not available:

I agree with Robert, just adding some information here, it might be helpful. :)

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:21 AM