none
Sharepoint 3.0 "an unexpected error has occurred"

Question

• OK so seemingly after some security updates a sharepoint page wouldn't load and just gave "an unexpected error has occurred" error message

I've changed the web.config file to get some idea of what the error is but I still have very little idea of where the problem lies. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there are any logs or anything that you need me to post.

Thanks in advance

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.]
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.OpenWebInternal(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidID, String& pbstrRequestAccessEmail, UInt32& pwebVersion, String& pbstrServerRelativeUrl, UInt32& pnLanguage, UInt32& pnLocale, String& pbstrDefaultTheme, String& pbstrDefaultThemeCSSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateCSSUrl, String& pbstrCustomizedCssFileList, String& pbstrCustomJSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateHeaderUrl, String& pbstrMasterUrl, String& pbstrCustomMasterUrl, String& pbstrSiteLogoUrl, String& pbstrSiteLogoDescription, Object& pvarUser, Boolean& pvarIsAuditor, Int32& plSiteFlags) +0
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.OpenWebInternal(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidID, String& pbstrRequestAccessEmail, UInt32& pwebVersion, String& pbstrServerRelativeUrl, UInt32& pnLanguage, UInt32& pnLocale, String& pbstrDefaultTheme, String& pbstrDefaultThemeCSSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateCSSUrl, String& pbstrCustomizedCssFileList, String& pbstrCustomJSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateHeaderUrl, String& pbstrMasterUrl, String& pbstrCustomMasterUrl, String& pbstrSiteLogoUrl, String& pbstrSiteLogoDescription, Object& pvarUser, Boolean& pvarIsAuditor, Int32& plSiteFlags) +429
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitWebPublic() +1091
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Locale() +142
    Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.Utility.SetThreadCulture(SPWeb spWeb, Boolean force) +95
    Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.Utility.SetThreadCulture(SPWeb spWeb) +58
    Microsoft.SharePoint.CoreResource.GetString(ResourceGroup rg, String name, Object[] values) +1081
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPResource.GetString(String name, Object[] values) +53
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabase.ValidateDatabaseSchemaCompatibility() +534
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request) +99
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() +548
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest() +75
    Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request() +74
    Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.SPWebEnsureSPControl(HttpContext context) +613
    Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.GetContextWeb(HttpContext context) +41
    Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.PostResolveRequestCacheHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea) +595
    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:27 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure it'll include any additional information, but you can try checking the SharePoint logs, as well as the system's Event Viewer
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:32 PM
  • Event viewer is periodically stating:

A worker process with process id of '23772' serving application pool 'SBS Web Applications application pool' was shutdown due to inactivity.  Application Pool timeout configuration was set to 20 minutes.  A new worker process will be started when needed.

I've checked the application pool in question and it is started, sorry I'm not sure if this relevant to the issue.

The sharepoint logs are a bit foreign to me as well but I have noticed this (again not sure if it at all relevant sorry):

Timestamp                  Process                                     TID       Area                              Category                          EventID    Level         Message     Correlation
    11/11/2013 09:00:00.14     OWSTIMER.EXE (0x21AC)                       0x3EBC    Windows SharePoint Services       Database                          6y63    Critical    SQL Database 'WSS_Search_WHVSYSTEM' on SQL Server instance 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Cannot open database "WSS_Search_WHVSYSTEM" requested by the login. The login failed.  Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

Let me know if you want me to post or pm you a full log as they are quite long.

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:57 AM
  • what kind of security updates? OS or Sharepoint?

all sites down or one particular site?

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Only the one site. Well they only have one site, but we can still get to the SharePoint Central Administration v3 site.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few updates applied, I can post a full list if you think it will help but there were two that mention SharePoint:

Security Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 x64 (KB2760420)

Security Update for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (KB2596741) 64-Bit Edition

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:36 AM
  • did you guys run the config wizard and is that completed successfully?

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:43 AM
  • I just ran it then and got this error:

The World Wide Web Publishing Service failed to start. Ensure the Internet Information Services is installed properly and the services is configured correctly

Then tells me to check the PSCDiagnostics logfile for further information. Is there anything I should be search for in that file?

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:56 AM
  • search for error in the log...

also check this guy http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/58b78b72-0d5b-4851-b7c7-f401e9ed5d92/the-world-wide-web-publishing-service-failed-to-start?forum=sharepointadminlegacy

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:00 AM
  • OK I think the problem was that The World Wide Web Publishing Service was just taking too long to stop. I ran the config wizard after the service had stopped and it got to step 9/10 and failed with this error:

Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies

An Exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown. Additional exception information: Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies

I'm currently searching the log for any errors, I'll post if I can find anything. Thanks for all your help so far it is really appreciated.

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:57 AM
  • OK so I can't tell much from the log, but I tried running it again and I notice The World Wide Web Publishing Service is restarted during the process, if this is taking too long could it be timing out?

Is there anyway to force the config wizard to ignore it's timeout and wait for the service to stop/restart?

Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or if there is anything else I should be on the lookout for.

Monday, November 11, 2013 5:59 AM
  • I've also tried running psconfig through cmd with no luck. Here is the output, please let me know if it indicates what the problem may be.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN>psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.ion 12.0.6500.5000

Performing configuration task 1 of 4
    Initializing SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade...

Successfully initialized SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade.

Performing configuration task 2 of 4
    Initiating the upgrade sequence...

Successfully initiated the upgrade sequence.

Performing configuration task 3 of 4
    Upgrading SharePoint Products and Technologies...

Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException was thrown.  Additional excepti
    on information: Upgrade completed with errors.  Review the upgrade.log file located in C:\Program Fi
    les\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Logs\Upgrade.log.  The number of errors a
    nd warnings is listed at the end of the upgrade log file.

Total number of configuration settings run: 3
    Total number of successful configuration settings: 2
    Total number of unsuccessful configuration settings: 1
    Successfully stopped the configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies.
    Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed.  Configuration must be performed befor
    e you use SharePoint Products and Technologies.  For further details, see the diagnostic log located
     at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_11_1
    1_2013_17_48_30_116_1798796557.log and the application event log.

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:28 PM
  • could you please share the upgrade log, or upload on skydrive and share the link.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:20 AM
  • http://sdrv.ms/1alJWNP
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:48 AM
  • i can see these error couple of times, could you please make sure this "'stratdat'" guy having the correct permission on search db.

Cannot open database "WSS_Search_WHVSYSTEM" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'WOMENSHEALTHVIC\stratdat'.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:52 AM
  • I can't seem to find that database.

There is:

WSS_Search_WIN-EUGSO7LO7PY

WSS_WHV_Content

But I can't seem to find WSS_SEARCH_WHVSYSTEM

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:02 AM
  • can you access the central admin.try to see which content db is for search services.if you recreate the search service may be this is from old search,lookalike sharepoint looking for the some cache thing.

couple of things we can try, reboot the server or clear the config cache and re-run the config wizard

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Sorry got logged out, and then it said my display name was already in use??

The central admin site is configured to use WSS_Search_WHVSYSTEM as the search database

Is there anyway it could have been deleted by those updates?

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:36 AM
  • i am not sure about this, if you have sql backup then try to restore this db.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:48 AM