none
Windows Azure Active Directory Graph API vs MSOL Powershell tools

Question

• Hi Gurus,

I just saw the announcement of Graph API and it looks very nice.

Currently i use Office MSOL module to create and remove Office 365 mailboxes programatically. Is the graph API replacement for this ?

It would be nice to not depend on MSOL powershell modules to create new mailboxes, can I do this with graph API ?

Thanks

• Edited by Denny415 Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:05 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

By MSOL, do you mean Microsoft Online Services Module? From my experience, Windows Azure Active Directory Module is a successor of this module. I'm not sure if it is built on top of Graph API or not. But it is a PowerShell module, which certainly relies on some low level API. On the other hand, Graph API is an API, which doesn't rely on the PowerShell modules. I'd like to suggest you to check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj151815.aspx for more information of the Power Shell module.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Hi Ming,

I understand that Windows Azure Active Directory PowerShell Module is designed for administrative tasks. Can the Graph API do everything that Powershell module can do?

• Edited by Denny415 Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

From my experience, usually an API is more powerful than a PowerShell module, because a PowerShell module is usually an encapsulation of an API. It may or may not provide the full feature of the underlying API. I'm not sure if Windows Azure Active Directory PowerShell Module is built on top of Graph API. If it is, then Graph API has to offer everything you can do with this module. Otherwise the module probably does not know how to implement a feature. In addition, you may want to refer to the API reference on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh974478.aspx to see what can be done using Graph API.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:03 PM