none
Linked Data In PowerPivot & Linked Table In Odata / Atom

Question

• Hello

1. Data Import / Export

I'm working on a software which produces and consumes OData / Atom Files. 

My goal is to use PowerPivot as a endpoint for data browsing and analysing. So, my software exports as REST Urls some tables in Atom Format and the list of these tables are exported in Atom Service format...

All work perfectly : I manage to import and browse all tables in powerpivot.

2. Links

Now, I work on next step.
    In my software, my tables are linked. One column can be ID for another table and I know this relationships.

In Atom format, I found atom:link and href attribute for each property. So I tried to link tableA.column18 to tableB.column1 by pointing the href attribute on the tableB atom rest URL.

Powerpivot accepts these changes but nothing change in gui behavior.

What I would like is to be able to click in tab TableA on column18 to access to second tab tableB on the right line by using table relationships featured by Powerpivot. Is it possible ?

If tableB was not yet loaded, it would load it dynamically.

Regards.

DC

Friday, June 28, 2013 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Damien, is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Ed,

Yes it is still an issue : do you know if it is possible to do that (or something similar) with powerpivot (or anything in excel) ?

Thanks

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Damien,

If you have a relationship in Power Pivot between TableA[FKColumn] and TableB[PKColumn], you can right click [FKColumn] in TableA and choose "Navigate to Related Table", which will then switch you to TableB. Is this what you're looking for?

There's no way currently to have TableB dynamically loaded into your model by performing an action on TableA.

Thank you,

Taylor Clark

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Taylor,

Thanks for answering.

I aim to do this links by importing odata file.
    OData protocol, published my Microsoft, include link descriptors... but I don't succeed in using them in powerpivot.

You said  "If you have a relationship in Power Pivot between TableA[FKColumn] and TableB[PKColumn], you can right click [FKColumn] in TableA and choose "Navigate to Related Table", which will then switch you to TableB. Is this what you're looking for? "I know how do it manually in PowerPivot but I would like to do it automatically with external odata datasource.

Any way to do that ?

Regards.

Damien
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Damien,

OData as a data source was a gap that we are solving...

You should deploy the Power BI Preview for Office 365.

Specifically, you should use Power Query and use OData as your data source.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/powerbi/default.aspx 

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 16, 2013 7:16 PM