none
Extending C: Drive in windows 2012

Question

• We have windows 2012 server, and im trying to increase the C: Drive's disk space. The C: drive is 40 GB and I have only 100 MBs left. There was no available space in that server, so i shrinked another volume in order to create some room.

every time i try to extend the C: drive space i get the error message "error extending volume size not supported". I was wondering if there is any other way i can extend the disk size. The drives are part of RAID 5 set

thanks

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• you would need to not only free space but it needs to be free space after to the original partition to extend. You may also have to use an offline partition tool like disk director boot from the CD and partition because it's a boot drive. Disk directory will allow you to move the second partition to the end of the disk so you can extent the first one.

There are a few other offline disk partition tools.

if you don't have access to disk partitioning tools and can backup the "D" partition delete it, extend the "C" and create a new "D", restore "D" will do the same thing.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, please also check this:

http://www.soflanetworking.com/server-help/windows-server-2012-error-extending-volume-size-not-supported/

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:51 AM
  • All right! Don’t worry! Except extending C drive in Disk Management manually, there is also another easier way for you to go on: a professional partition resizing program.

Have you known or tried the similar partition resizing program? These resizing tools always can easily help one add enough space to wanted partition without data loss, such as IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, GParted and EaseUS Partition Master, etc..

Here are some detailed steps for you to extend your C drive successfully:

http://partition-magic-free.com/windows-server-2003/extend-c-drive-windows-sever-2003-with-partition-magic-free.html

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:38 AM
  • Extend volume has many method, one of them is to use the 3rd party partition management tool by using Partition Wizard. Good Luck!
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:36 AM