none
Time service issue

Question

• This issue is in a brand new Hp ML350e with windows 2012 R2 Essentials installed with latest software and firmware updates loaded. I am receiving two errors but I think they are related to each other. First is Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) is failing to contact a DC. (I think its failing because AD DS is failing)

Second issue is  AD Domain  Service (AD DS)  service is failing, its showing an error in the Server Manager dash board :

[ myserver: Error The PDC emulator master myserver.mydomain.local in this forest should be configured to correctly synchronize time from a valid time source Configuration. ]

At this point I used w32tm.exe to configure the server to use a valid time server from a valid time server list that I found on a government web site containing a list of valid time servers.  I then picked an appropriate server and configured it with w32tm.exe. I confirmed it was configured after looking at the w32tm related registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\NtpServer). I then performed a [ resync ] using w32tm and it synced the local server as expected to the correct time. The local server continues to display the error that " the server should be configured to correctly synchronize time from a valid time source " in the Server Manager Dash Board, so I rebooted the server to insure that it read the new time server config from the registry file, but I continue to get the same negative results after the reboot. Unsure where to go from here..

Monday, January 27, 2014 5:22 PM

Answers

• Time issue was resolved after rebuilding the server without HP's Intelligent Provisioning, as I later found out that it does NOT support Windows Server 2012 R2  and the B120i RAID controller of which I'm working with. There are notices on their site that state that support for Windows Server 2012 R2 in their full "Service Pack for Proliant" should be available in early 2014 but I have not found it as of yet. You are required by HP to perform the build manually with the media disk or USB pin drive, and the "Windows Server 2012 R2 Supplement Release for Service Pack for ProLiant"

Refer to a technical white paper on the HP site called
    "Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 on HP ProLiant servers."  

I would have placed the links for all that is necessary to correct the issue in my post, but this site will not allow me to do so until my account is verified.  Not sure what's required on my part to make that happen

After performing the install according to the PDF mentioned above the machine performed as expected. 

Original scenario goes like this. :

I started with Intelligent Provisioning then I got the BSOD  (Blue Screen of Death) at start up. Then  tried perform the install manually without formatting and got it running. but I think that left some of the unsupported code loaded and the machine was not completely stable. I believe this set me up for service failures that cascaded during startup and w32tm.exe was just one of many processes that didn't make it past startup. So after formatting and starting over using the HP supplied PDF for Windows Server 2012 R2 installation, my problems appeared to disappear.. Thank you Susie, for following up on my issue.

Patrick

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:12 PM

All replies

• 1. What response can you see in Event logs when you restart Windows Time service?

2. Double check AD health with dcdiag.

3. Double check DNS as well as replication status.Regards

Milos

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Time issue was resolved after rebuilding the server without HP's Intelligent Provisioning, as I later found out that it does NOT support Windows Server 2012 R2  and the B120i RAID controller of which I'm working with. There are notices on their site that state that support for Windows Server 2012 R2 in their full "Service Pack for Proliant" should be available in early 2014 but I have not found it as of yet. You are required by HP to perform the build manually with the media disk or USB pin drive, and the "Windows Server 2012 R2 Supplement Release for Service Pack for ProLiant"

Refer to a technical white paper on the HP site called
    "Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 on HP ProLiant servers."  

I would have placed the links for all that is necessary to correct the issue in my post, but this site will not allow me to do so until my account is verified.  Not sure what's required on my part to make that happen

After performing the install according to the PDF mentioned above the machine performed as expected. 

Original scenario goes like this. :

I started with Intelligent Provisioning then I got the BSOD  (Blue Screen of Death) at start up. Then  tried perform the install manually without formatting and got it running. but I think that left some of the unsupported code loaded and the machine was not completely stable. I believe this set me up for service failures that cascaded during startup and w32tm.exe was just one of many processes that didn't make it past startup. So after formatting and starting over using the HP supplied PDF for Windows Server 2012 R2 installation, my problems appeared to disappear.. Thank you Susie, for following up on my issue.

Patrick

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that and thanks for your share.

Have a goof day!

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:39 AM