none
Backup and restore from Server 2003 to Server 2012

Question

• This is the first time that I have attempted this. Some of the job details are vague, they are as follow :

1. Stand up 2nd server
    2. Backup data from server 1 to server 2 by whatever means are most appropriate Windows 2003 Server Exchange Backup, Windows Backup, or raw data copy (preferable all three) or as the tech deems appropriate
    3. Assess all software that is running on the existing server into 1 of 3 categories
      1. Migrate to 2012 Server Simple and compatible software set with an import / export function
      2. Clean install on 2012 Server Simple and compatible software without an import / export function (new software may not carry old historical files) OR newer version of software required to be purchase that may or may not have an import / export function OR software comes as a download on current generation hardware without a purchase and does not in itself carry data (Example: shockwave add-ons for browsers on PCs)
      3. Remain on 2003 Server Legacy implications / compatibility issues and / or complicated migration process (Exchange)

I have many questions, as im sure many of you do : Are we creating a bdc or migrating to a pdc, are there any other roles this server needs to accomplish, etc.

My question that I fear I may have issues: After creating the full backup set Server 2003 (system state,  boot partition and system partition) will there be a smooth transition on the restore to Server 2012 or do I need to do something in between?

Thank you in advance.

Friday, March 14, 2014 2:06 AM

Answers