none
Do MS partners have KMS keys for use in a lab environment?

Question

• I'm setting up and testing several VDI environments.  I'm also a MS Partner with a MAPS subscription.

I have never been able to find a KMS key assigned to my company to use for purely lab environments.

Do I have access to one?   Is there a temporary one?  

Note:  I do not need help setting up KMS, I just need access to a temporary key that will work.  I have seen several documents on "how to set up KMS in a lab environment", "how to set up KMS in a disconnected network", people referring to Microsoft online test labs (won't work, I am setting up specific environments on premise to test).

Thanks for any help

Monday, September 02, 2013 7:06 PM

Answers

• Unsure how others deal with this limitation in their labs.

As a VL customer, I have access to the VLSC website, and we have purchased products, which causes the product downloads and product keys (incuding MAK and KMShost) to be available within VLSC.
    I use these for my lab.
    Whilst I do have TechNet subscription (at the moment) and also MSDN (via VL), neither of these provides KMS, but, the MSDN use-rights permit the use of VL products (within MSDN use-rights limitations).

The only way I know to get KMS, is for you to buy the relevant product (in minimum quantities) via a VL agreement, which gives you access to VLSC and the products/keys there.

I'm aware of other, non-legitimate "emulators", but these would appear to be a clear breach of the MS license terms (the wording is something similar to "you must not attempt to bypass product activation....")

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:15 PM
  • To my knowledge, no, KMShost pkeys are never provided for evaluation/lab/demo purposes.
    As far as I know, KMShost pkeys are only provided via a VL agreement.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, September 02, 2013 9:11 PM
  • No, NFR (not for resale) key does not exist at MS, you have to buy a TechNet Subscription for your lab'ing need. (Or use pre-existing key and ask the volume activation to reset the count after, but he can refuse your request, maybe call before activating it)

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:37 AM
  • I think the information provided above should help explain the question. If there is anything further related to volume licensing, you could confirm with Microsoft license team for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:51 PM

All replies

• I'd ask them over here.

https://mspartner.microsoft.com/en/us/pages/support/partner-support-community.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, September 02, 2013 8:23 PM
  • To my knowledge, no, KMShost pkeys are never provided for evaluation/lab/demo purposes.
    As far as I know, KMShost pkeys are only provided via a VL agreement.

Don

Monday, September 02, 2013 9:11 PM
  • No, NFR (not for resale) key does not exist at MS, you have to buy a TechNet Subscription for your lab'ing need. (Or use pre-existing key and ask the volume activation to reset the count after, but he can refuse your request, maybe call before activating it)

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:37 AM
  • I do have a Technet/MAPS subscription - there are no KMS keys in there.   Unfortunately, this isn't a one time deal - I'm testing a pooled non-persistent pools, and many of them, with varying products - I need activation to happen to the pool at each boot.    This is not effective without KMS.

Unsure how others deal with this limitation in their labs.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:15 AM
  • Might try TechNet Online Concierge Chat as they may be able to help.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Unsure how others deal with this limitation in their labs.

As a VL customer, I have access to the VLSC website, and we have purchased products, which causes the product downloads and product keys (incuding MAK and KMShost) to be available within VLSC.
    I use these for my lab.
    Whilst I do have TechNet subscription (at the moment) and also MSDN (via VL), neither of these provides KMS, but, the MSDN use-rights permit the use of VL products (within MSDN use-rights limitations).

The only way I know to get KMS, is for you to buy the relevant product (in minimum quantities) via a VL agreement, which gives you access to VLSC and the products/keys there.

I'm aware of other, non-legitimate "emulators", but these would appear to be a clear breach of the MS license terms (the wording is something similar to "you must not attempt to bypass product activation....")

Don

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:15 PM
  • I think the information provided above should help explain the question. If there is anything further related to volume licensing, you could confirm with Microsoft license team for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:51 PM