none
Import Wizard Error: Big Red X

Question

• I'm using SQL Server 2012 Management Studio. I'm trying to import a .xlsx file into a database that I full permissions to.  I successfully imported two smaller (~70mb) files and am now working on a larger file of 171mb. When I choose the data source and hit Next, the wizard sits and hangs for a bit, and then displays an error screen where the "Additional Information" is just a big red X on a white background. This has happened twice.

Aaron Jarboe

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:30 PM

Answers

• Well I think it is difficult to suggest on the issue without having any issue description.

However my focus will be towards the source field datatypes and destination field datatypes. For instance if you have datetime string field not in proper format and we are trying to import to a SQL column whose datatype is datetime or date, there we may have errors. Moreover excel file may contain unicode characters which can create additional problem while importing.

Therefore we can try converting the excel format to plain text(tab/csv). Or you may import all the source fields as string datatype and spcifying as string datatype in SQL destination table. Finally you may identify whether it is due to datetime format or not.

Make sure that you have enough field size in the destination table.

Regards, RSingh

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:30 AM

All replies

• Well I think it is difficult to suggest on the issue without having any issue description.

However my focus will be towards the source field datatypes and destination field datatypes. For instance if you have datetime string field not in proper format and we are trying to import to a SQL column whose datatype is datetime or date, there we may have errors. Moreover excel file may contain unicode characters which can create additional problem while importing.

Therefore we can try converting the excel format to plain text(tab/csv). Or you may import all the source fields as string datatype and spcifying as string datatype in SQL destination table. Finally you may identify whether it is due to datetime format or not.

Make sure that you have enough field size in the destination table.

Regards, RSingh

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:30 AM
  • I hadn't had much supporting details but now I do. I run the process again and now get the error: "A generic error occurred in GDI+. (System.Drawing)". Does this help at all?

All I am doing is taking a xlsx file and importing it into SQL to create a new table, not importing into any existing space.  Note that the three files have the exact same schema.  Also note that the file contains around 850,000+ records with 50 columns.

Aaron Jarboe

Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:22 PM