none
IPAM Upgrade Failed - Windows Server 2012 R2

General discussion

• Why previous discussion was locked?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/324f812f-80b5-4822-aadc-cf92d9f11949/ipam-upgrade-failed-windows-server-2012-r2?forum=windowsserverpreview

IPAM Upgrade Failed - Windows Server 2012 R2

Hi All,

I'm experiencing some problems with the upgrade procedure of an IPAM service hosted on a Windows Server 2012 R2 instance which originally was deployed on a non-R2 version. I've recently done in-place upgrade of the W2K12 OS to W2K12R2 which went absolutely fine, however when I'm trying to upgrade the IPAM service itself (from v6.2.0.1 to v6.3.0.1), I'm receiving an error message right after the database schema update procedure.

Received error message:

Failed to convert Schema. Please see the details.
    The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    Please restart the Wizard to update the IPAM server.

Tried to restart the wizard several times, but it ends up with the same result.
    Also I noticed that the event log shows some authentication problems with the WID DB service:

Connecting to IPAM database failed with,
        Number: 18456
        ErrorCode: -2146232060
        Level: 14
        State: 1
        Message: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

For database,
        Database Type: WindowsInternalDatabase
        Database Authentication Type: WindowsAuthentication
        Database Name: IPAM
        Database Path: C:\Windows\System32\ipam\Database
        Database Server:
        Database Server Port: 0
        Username:

The original IPAM deployment was pretty much a standard one by the official MS guides so there were no custom actions applied at any point in time. Right now I can access neither the IPAM features nor the previously made inventory, because server manager wouldn't let me do so until the upgrade is complete. For the time being this upgrade failure seems to be a bug.

Kindly ask you to help me out with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 7:21 PM

All replies

• 1. Do you see any errors or warnings in IPAM admin or operational event logs? IPAM event logs can be accesses in event viewer at following path.

Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\IPAM

2. Does the error appear right after the schema conversion is started or the schema conversion goes on for some time and then the error shows up?

• Edited by Rohin Koul Monday, October 28, 2013 11:36 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Hi, event id 60002 in admin log:

Connecting to IPAM database failed with,

Number: 18456

ErrorCode: -2146232060

Level: 14

State: 1

Message: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

For database,

Database Type: WindowsInternalDatabase

Database Authentication Type: WindowsAuthentication

Database Name: IPAM

Database Path: C:\Windows\System32\ipam\Database

Database Server:

Database Server Port: 0

Username:

and event id 10459:

The IPAM database schema conversion from version 6.2.0.1 to version 6.3.0.1 failed with error: The given key was not present in the dictionary.. Your IPAM installation might not work properly.

10x

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:37 PM
  • I had the same error.  While I was waiting for MSSupport to look into it, I just removed the role on the server and then re-added it.  So far, so good.

One nice thing about the re-install, you can point it to a SQL server if you want.....

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Sadly, but reinstall is often the only way out
    Monday, October 28, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Couple of questions

1. Do you have DHCP scopes with exclusion ranges on them?

2. Does any of you static IP address ranges overlap with DHCP scopes i.e. IP address range created for DHCP scope?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Hello Rohin,

1. Yes, many scopes with exclusion ranges.

2. No overlaps

Removing IPAM feature, restart server, installing IPAM feature, reconfigure - problem solved.

10x all

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:18 AM
  • It appears that Support has isolated the causes of this, and are working on a fix.
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:27 PM
  • I am also experiencing the exact same errors/issues as the previous posters.

Is there any fix available for this yet?

If not, can somebody contact my boss(es) and let them know the upgrade to ver 6.3.0.1 of IPAM is not a possible reality at this time.

Thanks

Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:04 AM
  • Apparently there is a hotfix for this now, however it did not resolve my issue, which is the same schema upgrade failure as most with the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2912551/en-us

Monday, February 03, 2014 9:06 PM