none
FIM 2010 print Smart Card

Question

• Hello,

I use FIM 2010 system and I want to start use to print on smart card user information.

My question is, if I must ID works program for printing or there are alternative program to print on smart card.

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi OLGN -
      My question is, if I must ID works program for printing or there are alternative program to print on smart card.
    If you are looking to integrate FIM CM with SC printing, then IDWorks is your only option.
    Bill Mathers has produced a great article on the TechNet wiki, using Datacard IDWorks V 6.5.

Non-FIM CM integrated SC printing solutions; there are many, for example Lenel.

Cheers,
    Tom Houston

Monday, June 20, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

Monday, June 20, 2011 10:34 AM
  • I need to install Enterprise V 6.5 ID Works ?

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:10 AM
  • I need to install Enterprise V 6.5 ID Works ?

As I understand it Datacard ID Works Enterprise Edition V5.1 or V6.5.

Cheers, 
    Tom Houston

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:40 AM
  •  

Hi,

Yes, for version of ID Works Enterprise 6.5

From ID Works I print Smart Card successfully. My issue is for now, how can I print the smart card with certificate from FIM 2010 system. I have in my printer smart card reader. Can you assist me step by step how to configure FIM 2010 template to print smart card with integration ID Works project that I build.

Monday, July 04, 2011 1:48 PM
  • I'm also having some problems with this... the scenario:

Configuration:

ID Works Enterprise 6.5 + FIM 2010 R2 CM + Datacard SP75 with optional smart card reader

Problem:

When enrolling a new smart card, I can do the printing part but after the print FIM asks to insert the card to reader to do the certificate enrollment, I'd like this to be one whole process because the printer already has the reader. How can I configure FIM and SP75 to work together so that the certificate would be enrolled to the card during the printing process?!

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Can anyone help me out?
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:59 PM
  • I'm also having some problems with this... the scenario:

Configuration:

ID Works Enterprise 6.5 + FIM 2010 R2 CM + Datacard SP75 with optional smart card reader

Problem:

When enrolling a new smart card, I can do the printing part but after the print FIM asks to insert the card to reader to do the certificate enrollment, I'd like this to be one whole process because the printer already has the reader. How can I configure FIM and SP75 to work together so that the certificate would be enrolled to the card during the printing process?!

Still having this problem.. anyone?!
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Seriously? Am I the only one using Datacard printer with FIM CM?!
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:49 AM
  • You are almost the only one. :)

The step you missed was setting up the template in FIM CM correctly so that it could all be done in one step.

My previous employment, we had it setup correctly.  Follow the WIKI mentioned above, but make sure that you follow the technet documents for FIMCM concerning the template setup.

I believe it's here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708656(WS.10).aspx

Which was also mentioned as Step 9 in the WIKI.  When you configure the template correctly, it will do it all in one print.  The first thing it will do is enroll the cert in the printers internal card reader, THEN it will print....make sure your printer definitely has an internal reader and you've configured that reader in the middleware.

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:55 PM
  • You are almost the only one. :)

The step you missed was setting up the template in FIM CM correctly so that it could all be done in one step.

My previous employment, we had it setup correctly.  Follow the WIKI mentioned above, but make sure that you follow the technet documents for FIMCM concerning the template setup.

I believe it's here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708656(WS.10).aspx

Which was also mentioned as Step 9 in the WIKI.  When you configure the template correctly, it will do it all in one print.  The first thing it will do is enroll the cert in the printers internal card reader, THEN it will print....make sure your printer definitely has an internal reader and you've configured that reader in the middleware.

I've tried and tried.. still the same result:

1. I select: "Enroll a user for a new set of certificates or a smart card"
    2. Find the user I want the smart card enrolled to
    3. I select the smart card profile template (which has the printing configured)
    4. I click execute and continue to next page
    5. I click assign and now the portal asks for the smart card to be inserted in the reader (actually shows three reader, one which is in the pc and two which are in the SP75 printer)
    6. I insert the smart card in to the reader (computer reader)
    7. I click print card and the card prints
    8. Portal asks to insert the card to the reader, just like in the step 5.
    9. I insert the card in to the reader (computer reader) and certificates are enrolled to the card...

If someone has a GOOD step-by-step guide HOW to configure the Profile Template for Smart Card printing in FIMCM so that this all could be done in one step... I'd be really, really happy!

Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by gdtilghman Friday, November 08, 2013 2:51 PM
    Friday, November 08, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Everything is triple-checked from that wiki...

I've tested the configuration with x86 W7 and with x64 W7, they both behave exactly the same.

Friday, November 08, 2013 3:11 PM
  • The problem I'm having with your description is that if it's asking for the card to be inserted, then you haven't chosen the correct reader (in the SP75) in the configuration.  Period.  

The other thing is why do you believe you have two readers in the printer.  There is physically only room for one.  again, Period.

You should have two usb cables from the printer to the bulk issuance 32 bit Win 7 computer.  One for the printer and it's drivers, the other for the internal reader and it's drivers.

Other than that and following the WIKI, that's all there is.  

We were like you, thinking we had done everything correctly but inevitably something got glossed over accidentally and we would go back and research every step and setting only to find we had missed something.  Once we finally got it all configured, it all worked correctly.  At one point we even had to get Microsoft to fix the picture issue with a hotfix.

Friday, November 08, 2013 3:22 PM
  • I don't know has the printer two readers or not, but what I do know is that when the usb cable (for the smart card reader) from the printer is connected to W7, it detects TWO readers, one contactless smart card reader and one standard smart card reader.  The model is SP75 Plus.

Do I have to configure the correct reader in the Bulk Issuance Client also, or does that even matter? According to the picture and the text in the wiki, this shouldn't be changed from the default.

I'll get back to this on monday, I'm hoping that disabling UAC would fix the configuration. Like I said, I've done every step multiple times with the same results.

Friday, November 08, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Well UAC didn't fix the problem, still the same. I even installed fresh Windows XP and the behavior was exactly the same.. I did the steps EXACTLY like in the Wiki, so far I've tested the same configuration with UAC and without UAC with W7 x86 and W7 x64 and no go...

I'm starting to wonder is this some kind of driver issue with the printer's internal SCR331-DI reader.. or firmware issue? Any ideas?

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Most llikely.  If you have really done all the other steps, then yes.  It should be choosing to suck the card in, put it in the internal card reader, do all the pin stuff, THEN it begins the printing process defined in the template.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Well the local Datacard support didn't have anything to say about this... only that MS has build the plugin between IDWorks and FIMCM so they should have the knowledge. I'm still trying to seek a definitive list of Datacard printers that are supported on FIMCM 2010 R2 SP1... I've only found out that CD800 (two-wire model) is supported, I think I'll buy one of those and see if this thing starts working. I'm asuming that our SP75 has the wrong reader configuration factory-installed so that's the reason it won't work as it should.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Datacard makes a new one that replaces the SP75...I think it was a CP80 Plus.  The issue is that I believe you can order different readers to go inside it....it's not just one standard.  We got the CP80 working even though Microsoft didn't want to say it would.  It's basically the replacement of the SP75 with mostly changes to looks.

Anyway....IDWorks 6.5 Enterprise, FIMCM 2010 R2, CP80 Plus...and the correct drivers for the readers, both inside the printer as well as the ones hooked up to our computers.  Win 7 32 bit is the only thing that will work correctly hooked up locally to the printer.  Nothing else will.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Ok, so now I have CD800, facing exactly the same problem with the workflow...

Could you post your reader model you have in CP80 plus?

Friday, April 11, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Also to note, I'm using Kerberos authentication as stated in the post install tasks (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh230239%28v=ws.10%29.aspx). Does this make a difference in my case??

Monday, April 14, 2014 10:03 AM