none
SQL Azure Data Sync 'Refresh Schema' Not Working

Question

• I have tried many times to set up a 'data sync' group between two Azure databases.

Because it is the first time I tried to use data sync I need to refresh the schema, I have tried this 3 or 4 times. It seems to be processing and takes a long to complete (I have patiently waited). When it completes there are no tables to be seen and the same message about 'no tables' being in the database is present and I am giving then option to refresh the schema.

I get no error messages or ANY messages??

The sync group is 4a5876a1-96e9-4e24-8cd7-e4f5a30b4841_East Asia.

Would really appreciate some help so I can find out why it is not working. I have been through the known issues and 'getting started' guide, this has not helped me.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:51 AM

Answers

• HI, Paul

Unfortunately this is a regression recently in azure portal which will fail to load large db schema.

Product team is working on the fix and it will possibly roll out by middle of Oct.

There is some workaround if you actually only want to sync small set of tables.

You can either cleanup those unused tables in your existing db to decrease the schema

or

you can setup a empty db with empty tables which you want to sync and set that db as hub to setup the sync schema.

Otherwise, you will need to wait for the fix to solve your issue.

Regards,

Jarod Zhu

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:19 PM
  • HI Paul,

When size of data that we serialize db schema is larger than 800K, it will run into the problem.

It is hard for your side to judge since the size depends on number of your table\column in db.

This is actually not a design limitation but a regression so that we doesn't publish it before.

Regards,

Jarod Zhu

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you have lots of tables on the database? If so, "Refresh" operation will take various duration to complete depending on your schema size. You can try to refresh the browser to check whethe the issue presists.

Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj856276.aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:35 AM
  • There are around 200 tables, so yes quite a lot. As I said I have tried this 3 -4 or times, actually since I posed this message I tried another 3 times. I leave it to work, am very patient.

The end result is the same, no tables shown and no error messages. How can I find out what the issue is! It is very frustrating as this synchronisation is very key to what we want to do with SQL Azure.

Thanks,

Paul.

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:39 AM
  • HI, Paul

Unfortunately this is a regression recently in azure portal which will fail to load large db schema.

Product team is working on the fix and it will possibly roll out by middle of Oct.

There is some workaround if you actually only want to sync small set of tables.

You can either cleanup those unused tables in your existing db to decrease the schema

or

you can setup a empty db with empty tables which you want to sync and set that db as hub to setup the sync schema.

Otherwise, you will need to wait for the fix to solve your issue.

Regards,

Jarod Zhu

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Hi Jarod,

Thanks for that - it sounds like it might be the problem. Can you quantify the statement 'large db schema'. If there was a limit you would think Microsoft would publish the details.

Thanks,

Paul.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:54 AM
  • HI Paul,

When size of data that we serialize db schema is larger than 800K, it will run into the problem.

It is hard for your side to judge since the size depends on number of your table\column in db.

This is actually not a design limitation but a regression so that we doesn't publish it before.

Regards,

Jarod Zhu

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Hi Jarod,

I get the same problem and i hope the regresion will be fixed soon !

Could you leave a message when it's done ?

Thank in advance !

jcb

Saturday, January 04, 2014 1:23 PM