none
Server 08 OSD Capture thru MDT 2012 - No DHCP/PXE

Question

• Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me out with the situation I am in with regards to MDT capturing Server 08 R2

Situation:

- Captuing Server 2008 image through MDT capture Task sequence
    - DHCP is not available
    - Using LiteTouchPE_x64.iso to boot the reference server
    - Want to save the reference build on a network share

I don't see an option of defining a static ip address after the reference machine boots up with the LiteTouch ISO? I saw it once but I haven't seen it from then on??

As there is no DHCP and PXE avilable, do I still need WDS installed and configured. I haven't installed/configured it yet.

Also, when deploying the image on a few hundred servers, how can the new machine be assigned a static ip to run the build? The image will be deployed through SCCM 2012.

Help appreciated :)

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:54 PM

Answers

• Solved :)

I added the static IP address in the customsettings.ini file and ran the LiteTouch.vbs. At reboot, boot the reference computer with the LiteTouch_PE. iso file. Booting with this file should give you an option of "configure a static ip address". Put in the details like ip, subnet, dns and etc. and then continue with the process. That is it :)

Thanks all for you time and effort.

• Marked as answer by risqueAl Friday, February 22, 2013 7:38 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 7:38 PM

All replies

• 33 views and no replies !!

Can anyone please help out

Monday, February 18, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Hi!

If you won't user PXE or have a DHCP-server then the only option is to create an bootable USB-drive with a custom script that assign or prompts for the IP-address or a custom UDI-wizzard that prompts for the ip-address.

I don't really understand. Is it only in the MDT environment you don't have a DHCP or WDS server? 500 servers but no DHCP-server? :)

• Edited by Samus-Aran Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:21 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:20 AM
  • I've written a post on static IP address assignments.

MDT 2012: Automating Network Interface Configuration

The intent is for end deployment configuration, not for management of the deployment environment. For DHCP I suggest you dig out a broadband router from somewhere.

For your reference image(sysprep and capture) it's the same process as any client, use a VM to apply and patch the image then import it back into the deployment share.

/Andrew

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Its not about not having a DHCP server available. The reason is the vLan the servers are; DHCP is not advertised. The vLan for workstations as normal has DHCP.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Your article is very enlighting but unfortunately doesn't help my situation.

I ran the LiteTouch.vbs from within the reference server. Which, will cause the static IP address to stick in the image but anyways it started. Did the whole shbanng and after the Applying Windows PE (BCD) step when it restarted the machine. The server keeps rebooting constantly after the "Windows is loading" screen every time.

I also tried booting the reference machine with LiteTouchPE_x64.iso which also gives the option of setting static IP address which it did take cause I checked with ipconfig but I get the error "Destination drive/partition unavailable" with the famous pink error screen. Now, i don't know if that is a step ahead or what but any suggesstions will really help.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:08 AM
  • I thought you also wanted to assign a static IP address post-install.

/Andrew

• Edited by Andrew Barnes Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:46 PM Removed suggestion
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Almost forgot,

If you don't skip the first wizard pane then it gives you an option to set a static IP Address.

I've never tried to automate it though. Screenshot here.

/Andrew

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:50 PM
  • After some more research,

I came across this great article. MDT: Deploy Windows 7 without DHCP

Hope one of these helps.

/Andrew

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Solved :)

I added the static IP address in the customsettings.ini file and ran the LiteTouch.vbs. At reboot, boot the reference computer with the LiteTouch_PE. iso file. Booting with this file should give you an option of "configure a static ip address". Put in the details like ip, subnet, dns and etc. and then continue with the process. That is it :)

Thanks all for you time and effort.

• Marked as answer by risqueAl Friday, February 22, 2013 7:38 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Yeah, I told you those things above. :(

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:41 PM