none
Oracle Database Adapter on BizTalk Server 2010 in Windows 2008 Environment

Question

• I have installed trial version of BizTalk Server 2010 and Oracle Adapter Pack on my Windows Server 2008. Oracle 10g client is also installed on server.

Now if I configure Oracle Database Adapter in BizTalk Admin Console (Platform Setting -> Adapters), it shows 9 different adapters (such as WCF-SQL, WCF-SAP, WCF-Siebel, WCF-OracleEBS, TIBCO, Peoplesoft, J.D Edward etc.) in dropdown BUT doesn't show "Oracle Adapter" in dropdown while creating a new adapter.

According to BizTalk Adapter Pack http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk/en/us/adapter-pack.aspx, it supports Oracle 9i (9.2.0.2) and 10g (10.1.0.2.0 & 10.2.0.1.0) versions BUT the Oracle version I'm using in this particular scenario is: 10g (10.2.0.4.0).

Any idea, how I can configure Oracle Adapter on BizTalk Server 2010?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Muhammed,

To answer your questions:

1) No Oracle 9i is not mandatory. The adapter provided in BizTalk Adapter 2010 provides support for Oracle versions Oracle 9i (9.2.0.2), 10g (10.1.0.2.0 & 10.2.0.1.0). What important criteria is what Oracle version do you have to support (based on business requirements/application landscape). The Adapter Pack of BizTalk 2010 also contains the older non-WCF Oracle adapters that support lower Oracle versions.

2) To be able to integrate with Oracle 9 or 10i you will need an Oracle client, you find what client you need in the BizTalk Adapter Pack 2010 documentation. It is not wise to install Oracle 9i or 10 on production machine, you can however install Oracle express edition on you development machine (see my post). If you require to install Oracle 9i on Windows 2008, see Oracle website.

3) You will need the Oracle 11g client if you want to integrate with Oracle version 11, see again my post. You will find what client you need in BizTalk 2010 Adapter Pack documentation.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 PM

All replies

• Did you select Oracle Database adapter when performing the setup? Or, have you already added the adapter to the list of active adapters in BizTalk configuration?

You can also do the following:

In the port, select WCF-Custom, and in the binding settings, select OracleDbBinding. It is the same as selecting WCF-Oracle adapter.

-- Please mark as answered if this answers your question.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Yeah... I installed Oracle Database adapter (I have double check by reinstalling it).

I don't want to use WCF-Custom as I have to migrate my BizTalk 2006 R2 interfaces into BizTalk Server 2010 and I just want to move all my ports/locations as is.

So, I want to know how I can use Oracle Adapter in my scenario?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Go to the BizTalk administration console -> Adapters-> Right Click ->New -> Adapter. From the dropdown add the WCF Oracle Adapter and give it a meaningful name WCF-OracleAdapter.

You can then check the properties of the newly created adapter and configure the appropriate hosts under which you want your adapter to run. Make sure you select the correct 32 bit or 64 bit Host for the adapter because according to that you have to install the 32 bit or 64 bit oracle client.

Abdul Rafay - MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    blog: http://abdulrafaysbiztalk.wordpress.com/
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Thanks Rafay... but I don't want to use any WCF adapter as I have to migrate my BizTalk 2006 R2 interfaces into BizTalk Server 2010 and I just want to move all my ports/locations as is (which are already using Oracle Database Adapter).

I would add 2 more points here:

1. On my BizTalk Server 2006 R2; Oracle 9i client is also installed along with 10g client (in Windows 2003 environment) and all my Oracle Database Adapters are connecting to Oracle database via ODBC. When I tried to install Oracle 9i client on Windows Server 2008 environment, its installer just gave a black screen for less than a second and setup terminated. Is Oracle 9i mandatory for Oracle Database Adapter? Moreover, how I can install Oracle 9i on Windows 2008?
    2. I have installed 11g client on Windows 2008 as well but still can't see Oracle Database Adapter in the list. Is Oracle 11g client mandatory for Oracle Database Adapter in BizTalk Server 2010? 

Per following link(s), Oracle 11g support BizTalk Server 2010 Oracle Database Adapter:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/biztalkr2adapters/thread/508063f5-b370-406c-a703-842db787b2cf

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/biztalkr2adapters/thread/7a332826-c2b8-40cf-b7bc-d971881c92c7

Let me repeat my questions here:

1. Is Oracle 9i mandatory for Oracle Database Adapter in BizTalk Server 2010?
    2. Moreover, how I can install Oracle 9i on Windows 2008?
    3. Is Oracle 11g client mandatory for Oracle Database Adapter in BizTalk Server 2010? 
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Hi Muhammed,

To answer your questions:

1) No Oracle 9i is not mandatory. The adapter provided in BizTalk Adapter 2010 provides support for Oracle versions Oracle 9i (9.2.0.2), 10g (10.1.0.2.0 & 10.2.0.1.0). What important criteria is what Oracle version do you have to support (based on business requirements/application landscape). The Adapter Pack of BizTalk 2010 also contains the older non-WCF Oracle adapters that support lower Oracle versions.

2) To be able to integrate with Oracle 9 or 10i you will need an Oracle client, you find what client you need in the BizTalk Adapter Pack 2010 documentation. It is not wise to install Oracle 9i or 10 on production machine, you can however install Oracle express edition on you development machine (see my post). If you require to install Oracle 9i on Windows 2008, see Oracle website.

3) You will need the Oracle 11g client if you want to integrate with Oracle version 11, see again my post. You will find what client you need in BizTalk 2010 Adapter Pack documentation.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hello Muhammad,

I have the same issue, so if you found its fix please post

Best Regards,

Mohammed El-Araby

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Hi Mohammed,

I installed following components:
    1. Oracle 10g (version 10.2.0.4.0)
    2. ODAC 11g (version 11.1.0.7.20). It can be downloaded from Oracle site available as ODAC1110720.zip.

I then used WCF-OracleDB Adapter to connect to my database.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:55 PM