none
MDT 2010 - Cannot find path 'DS001:\Operating Systems' because it does not exist.

Question

• Recently, the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit share in our production environment appears to have automatically updated itself from 2010 to 2012. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of MDT (for use in MMC) and Windows AIK.

We are able to connect to the deployment share but the application, operating systems and out-of-box drivers directories are not showing any of the data they contain. In particular they say "There are no items to show in this view". Also, if we right click the deployment share and select "Update Deployment Share" we are getting the following error "Cannot find path 'DS001:\Operating Systems' because it does not exist." I have double checked and the directory does exist (the share has not been modified). 

Has anyone had the same issue? If so, was a solution found?

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:35 PM

All replies

• Recently, the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit share in our production environment appears to have automatically updated itself from 2010 to 2012. 

That is not possible. What is likely is that another administrator has downloaded MDT 2012 and remotely connected to the production deployment share. This would prompt the user before upgrading to MDT 2012.

Check your permissions, try closing the Deployment share and reconnecting. Look in the Deployment Share Properties General Tab

Correct the Network (UNC) path and the Local path sections. 

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Andrew,

Thank you for your reply! I have double checked the permissions and my user account is in a a group that has full control of the deployment share. Additionally, I have verified that the permissions have been propagated to all child objects. I believe this rules out the permissions issue.

Also, the Network (UNC) path is correct and the Local path is being directed to a legitimate drive on the local computer (Z:\).

Below you will find the error that occurs each time I attempt to update the deployment share.

===START===

=== Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===

=== Processing LiteTouchPE (x86) boot image ===

Building requested boot image profile.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Cannot find path 'DS001:\Operating Systems' because it does not exist. ---> System.Management.Automation.ItemNotFoundException: Cannot find path 'DS001:\Operating Systems' because it does not exist.

at System.Management.Automation.LocationGlobber.ExpandMshGlobPath(String path, Boolean allowNonexistingPaths, PSDriveInfo drive, ContainerCmdletProvider provider, CmdletProviderContext context)

at System.Management.Automation.LocationGlobber.ResolveDriveQualifiedPath(String path, CmdletProviderContext context, Boolean allowNonexistingPaths, CmdletProvider& providerInstance)

at System.Management.Automation.LocationGlobber.GetGlobbedMonadPathsFromMonadPath(String path, Boolean allowNonexistingPaths, CmdletProviderContext context, CmdletProvider& providerInstance)

at System.Management.Automation.LocationGlobber.GetGlobbedProviderPathsFromMonadPath(String path, Boolean allowNonexistingPaths, CmdletProviderContext context, ProviderInfo& provider, CmdletProvider& providerInstance)

at System.Management.Automation.SessionStateInternal.GetItem(String[] paths, CmdletProviderContext context)

at System.Management.Automation.SessionStateInternal.GetItem(String[] paths, Boolean force, Boolean literalPath)

at System.Management.Automation.ItemCmdletProviderIntrinsics.Get(String path)

at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)

at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoProcessRecord()

at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)

at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecute(Array input, Hashtable errorResults)

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

===END===

Do you have any additional insight to provide?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:48 PM
  • This is the issue we need to fix

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Cannot find path 'DS001:\Operating Systems' because it does not exist. --->

We need to make sure that the PSDrive is created and pointed to DS001. Are you doing this on the server or remotely?

On the server, open a PowerShell console and type:

Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin\MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit.psd1"
    Get-MDTPersistentDrive

These are the results I get:

Name                                    Path                                    Description
    ----                                    ----                                    -----------
    DS001                                   D:\DeploymentShare                      MDT Deployment Share

Did you close and recreate the share connection?

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Hello Varez,

I just ran in to the same problem.

Once I adjusted the deployment share permissions to read/write for me it was able to see the path.

Strange because the local path was E:\ but it still needed write access to the distribution share.

Hope this helps.

Oliver

Monday, August 27, 2012 2:49 PM
  • I found also that the Deployment Share should not be parked in the root directory, ie M:\, but placed in a folder M:\Depoyment Share.  Once I corrected this and retried an import it worked without issue.

Derek Schauland, MCSE, MCTS Active Directory | Microsoft MVP - File System Storage | Technology Addict

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:43 PM