I have installed SQL Server 2012 SP1 + CU6 on two nodes "failover cluster"

i am using four domain accounts 

1. SQLAdmin (Domain Local Admin) on both nodes

2. SQLServer (Domain User) DB Engine SDK Account

3. SQLAgent (Domain User) Agent Service Account

4. SQLAnalysis (Domain User) Analysis Service Account

everything works fine except the instance menu is greyed out 

This message show up when i click on activity monitor

I think it's a permission issue but i am not sure which account need more permission "Agent" ?

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:20 AM

Answers

• Issue fixed by running the studio management as administrator "run as administrator".

• Marked as answer by Sn0w_MOnkEY Monday, December 02, 2013 12:06 PM
    Monday, December 02, 2013 12:06 PM

All replies

• Use below link :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh403394.aspx

Permissions

By default, only members of the local administrators group can start, stop, pause, resume or restart a service. To grant non-administrators the ability to manage services, see How to grant users rights to manage services in Windows Server 2003. (The process is similar on other versions of Windows.)

Stopping the Database Engine by using the Transact-SQL SHUTDOWN command requires membership in the sysadmin or serveradmin fixed server roles, and is not transferable.

To view the Activity Monitor you must have VIEW SERVER STATE permission.

Or you can do it through SSMS.

1. Right Click on the SQL Login in SSMS under Security -> Logins and click Properties.
    2. Click on Securables.
    3. Click Add
    4. Select the last Radio Button that should be "The server 'Servername\Instance' "
    5. Click Ok.
    6. The bottom box will be populated Explicit permissions for ServerName\Instance
    7. Scroll to the bottom of this list.
    8. Check the box for Grant for View Server State Permission.

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Use below link :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh403394.aspx

Permissions

By default, only members of the local administrators group can start, stop, pause, resume or restart a service. To grant non-administrators the ability to manage services, see How to grant users rights to manage services in Windows Server 2003. (The process is similar on other versions of Windows.)

Stopping the Database Engine by using the Transact-SQL SHUTDOWN command requires membership in the sysadmin or serveradmin fixed server roles, and is not transferable.

To view the Activity Monitor you must have VIEW SERVER STATE permission.

Or you can do it through SSMS.

1. Right Click on the SQL Login in SSMS under Security -> Logins and click Properties.
    2. Click on Securables.
    3. Click Add
    4. Select the last Radio Button that should be "The server 'Servername\Instance' "
    5. Click Ok.
    6. The bottom box will be populated Explicit permissions for ServerName\Instance
    7. Scroll to the bottom of this list.
    8. Check the box for Grant for View Server State Permission.

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Hi Neha,

Thank u for your reply, i don't mind grant all service accounts local admin permission 

and this is what i have done before posting here :\

all three accounts sql admin, server, agent granted local admin on both nodes 1 & 2

also granted sysadmin permission on the clustered instance ! and still the same 

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:25 AM
  • Issue fixed by running the studio management as administrator "run as administrator".

• Marked as answer by Sn0w_MOnkEY Monday, December 02, 2013 12:06 PM
    Monday, December 02, 2013 12:06 PM