none
SBS 2011 migration from SBS 2008

Question

• I am installing a new server (hardware) and upgrading to SBS 2011, from SBS 2008, but also changing the domain to reflect recent developments in the clients company. If I install SBS 2011 in migration mode, do i have to use the same domain or can i use the new one and still migrate? (ex. change domain from BASKETS to BASKETCASES).

I am running SBS 2008 running Exchange, Sharepoint and AD DC on the old server which was a lemon. The new server which will migrate all the data will be running SBS 2011 with Exchange, Sharepoint and AD DC.

Any info would be great, thanks!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you migrate using the Migration Document available on the TechNet, you will retain the current domain.

If you wish change the domain name, you must perform a fresh installation of SBS 2011 with the desired domain name.

After this depending on the number of users you have, you could either use active directory migration, and transfer of mailboxes using PST files OR recreate active directory users and rejoin client machines to the domain.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:53 PM
  • They do a lot of calendaring by sending out meeting reqests so i dont want to migrate exchange using PST's or they'll lose ownership of all the calendaring they have sent out (this makes it difficult to cancel deadlines in the future, it has to be done manually). They also use sharepoint heavily and that all needs to be migrated. SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 had a mailbox migration tool that would migrate the mailboxes from one server to another. I cant find that and it doesnt look like its available in the Exchange 2010 thats rolled into SBS 2011. If that option were available, I could make do with recreating the AD accounts and migrating the individual mailboxes. I dont think that's possible though is it? Also, how would i go about migrating Sharepoint?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:05 PM
  • For SharePoint export out data using stsadm and import it into the new server.

I'd advise trying this in a test environment before trying it out in the production.

Please refer to the following links and see if they help:

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration to a Different Domain Name
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/05/01/sbs-2003-to-sbs-2008-migration-to-a-different-domain-name.aspx

Exchange 2010 Cross-Forest Mailbox Moves
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I'd be speaking to Jeff at sbsmigration (.com).

Fairly certain he has a defined process for SBS08 - SBS11 with domain rename.

50,000 ft view.

Move the AD to a tempDC, rename the AD, move it to SBS11.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:49 PM