Bug in iSCSI Intiator Windows Essentials 2012 R2 (Updated - Screenshots added)?

Question

• Hi,

I think there is a bug in the iSCSI initiator in Windows 2012 Essentials R2.

I've got 2 Buffalo iSCSI Storages. These 2 Storages (4TB each) is used to Backup my files. I've tried to connect to both storages and create Storage Pool/Space (I'm not quite sure if the function is named in the english version the same) over both. I've done this in a test environment with the final Windows Essentials Server 2012 (without R2) and it has worked without a problem. No I'm sseing following scenario:

Both iSCSI LUNs are connected but Windows has assigned the same Device ID to both.

When I now try to form the Storage Pool/Space, Windows only shows me one Primordial Device.

Friday, September 06, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• I've found a workaround for my problem. Fact is that many Soho NAS don't allow the user to manipulate the iSCSI LUN ID. The LUN ID is static and if you got two devices from the same vendor it's possible that you will get LUN's with duplicate ID's from both devices. I've created a dummy LUN on one of the two NAS Server with the size of 1 MB and created a second one used for Backup. This is enough that the LUN ID is unique again.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 3:17 PM

All replies

• This is what a Get-PhysicalDisk is showing:

Here a Screenshot of the Device Manager:

Saturday, September 07, 2013 6:42 AM
  • And last my iSCSI Config:

Both Disks has been cleared with diskpart using the command "clean all". Probably somebody has a idea how to fix this.

Best,

Sebastian

Saturday, September 07, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Can you share the output from the following command?

get-disk | ft -AutoSize Model,SerialNumber,Size,UniqueId

The UniqueId for the disks is now generated from Page 83 Information provided by the device for SCSI based devices, and I am wondering if your iSCSI target software is giving the same (duplicate) info for both your iSCSI LUNs.  This is a change from Server 2012 -> Server 2012R2 Preview.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Here's the ouput of the command:

It is possible that both devices giving the same info for my iSCSI Lun, but the vendor does'nt give a option to change this iSCSI info.

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Storage space does not support iSCSI drives as physical drive. please refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11382.storage-spaces-frequently-asked-questions-faq.aspx#What_happens_to_Storage_Spaces_when_moving_physical_disks_between_servers for detail.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Hi Davie,

thanks for your answer. I've used Storage Space with iSCSI in the inital Release of Windows Server 2012 without a Problem, but it's ok for me that its not supported anymore.

But my main problem is not solved. I can't understand why my uniqueid is'nt unique anymore and I need a solution how to fix this. Is there any tool that can manipulate the generated unique ID?

Apamnapat stated that the algorhytm how to calculate the unique ID has changed with R2. But as it seems this method is not able to produce real uniqueID's under all circumstances.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:10 AM
  • The problem is that iSCSI target software/firmware/device you are using is not correctly generating Page 0x83 data. As per the SCSI spec, each "LUN" must generate a unique identifier to distinguish it from other LUNs. This identifier is the means by which multiple paths to the same device can be correctly identified (they will show as different devices, but will have the same page 0x83 data). This is defined in the T10 spec. You will have to contact the vendor who provides the software for your iSCSI target to get updated software/firmware.

Here is an article that explains how the Page 0x83 identifiers: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adioltean/archive/2004/12/30/344588.aspx

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:12 PM
  • server essentials is intended for use as a domain controller

iSCSI seems to be a real nuisance in my experience.

try using a windows server for storage with SAN and see if that works better

Corsair Carbide 300R with window & Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI & AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz & G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB 

GTX 260 SLI 216 core (GT200 Tesla) & Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p

ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:12 PM
  • I've found a workaround for my problem. Fact is that many Soho NAS don't allow the user to manipulate the iSCSI LUN ID. The LUN ID is static and if you got two devices from the same vendor it's possible that you will get LUN's with duplicate ID's from both devices. I've created a dummy LUN on one of the two NAS Server with the size of 1 MB and created a second one used for Backup. This is enough that the LUN ID is unique again.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:58 AM