none
THE REPLICATION OPERATION FAILED BECAUSE OF A SCHEMA MISMATCH BETWEEN THE SERVERS INVOLVED.

Question

• Getting schema mismatch after installing SBS 2011 on a clean hardware.

Scenario:

Currently running AD 2003 standalone our goal was to migration to SBS 2011 on a Windows 2008 R2 platform.

I followed the instructions to the tee from Prepare your Source Server for Windows SBS 2011 Standard migration and Create a migration answer file for Windows SBS 2011 Standard migration

Unfortunately, during the end of the process the server hanged so I had to reboot the server into safe mode with networking. I found out that the time was 1 hour off and added an external time service. 

Somehow during the install the FSMO roles are messed up - what I mean is that if I go to the original DC operation masters, it shows ERROR and indicates that the operation master is offline. 

If you try to replicate the following error appears:  ERROR_REPLICA_SYNC_FAILED_THE REPLICATION OPERATION FAILED BECAUSE OF A SCHEMA MISMATCH BETWEEN THE SERVERS INVOLVED.

Very weird stuff. 

This was my first in doing a SBS install and I was hesitant from the get go. 

Well, please let me know what I should provide you to help me out. 

Thanks.

Judy

Judy Wick MCTIP EA (Messaging) CISSP
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:08 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately then the cleanest migration i saw from logs earlier has to be redone. I was under the assumption that setup will resume after updates were installed but as you mentioned earlier server hunged up on log on  screen and you have to reboot it. If  sbssetup-runtimedata.dat  is missing then it has to be started over as these tasks were never even attempted.

Task :RegGPO Missing
    Task :GenerateWSUSEncryptionKey Missing
    Task :WSUSConfig Missing
    Task :ConfigureMonitoringDB Missing
    Task :InstallMonitoringService Missing
    Task :ConfigureDataCollectionService Missing
    Task :ClientWebUpdateFilesAndSettingTask Missing
    Task :ReDirOUTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureOUTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureWSSOutgoingEmailTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureSharePointSiteTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureSharePointVSSRegistryTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureWSSConfigComPlus Missing
    Task :ConfigureSharePointCleanupTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureIE Missing
    Task :InstallCrimsonManifest Missing
    Task :InstallFaxSPRouteSnapin Missing
    Task :InstallMoveDataPSsnapin Missing
    Task :AddCodeSigningTemplate Missing
    Task :AdjustPop3ConnectorDependencies Missing
    Task :ChangeIp Missing
    Task :FolderRedirectionPostInstall Missing
    Task :ConfigSBSCSETask Missing
    Task :SetNtpSource Missing
    Task :NetworkingPostInstall Missing
    Task :AddFinishSetupToTaskScheduler Missing
    Task :AddWSUSLogCleanerToTaskScheduler Missing
    Task :ClearEventLog Missing
    Task :SetLogFolderPermissionTask Missing
    Task :SetupRemoteAccessFolderPermissionTask Missing
    Task :SetupCleanup Missing

What i would suggest is if you can restore the source server before pre migration state , Run the migration tools again ,uncheck install updates during migration and start the migration again. This will be lot easier and quickest things finding solutions for failures .

• Marked as answer by gothicreader Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:41 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:55 AM

All replies

• I would like to add that on the old DC if I try to look at the operation masters from ADUC, in the Operation Master field is where the word "ERROR" appears and below it says "The current operations master is offline. The role cannot be transferred.".

However, if I change to the new SBS2011 domain controller I do not get this error and all roles are being handled by this domain controller. 

I'm running a dcdiag and will post this tomorrow - it's getting late for me. 

Thanks.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Boot the server in normal mode and resolve replication problems. Make sure each DC has the IP of the other, or have both DC's use the DNS server on the DC that is functioning best. Sounds like the SBS2011 server is more healthy than the SBS2003 server.

Schema mismatch occures (in this case) when the DC holding the Schema Master role has upgraded the Schema but the complaining DC has yet to replicate all the changes.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Please post the sbssetup.log from c:\program files\Windows Small Business server\logs folder as well.

Thanks.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:19 AM
  • I'm providing a link for the log files that might be of help.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=63d91e9d7fa564be&Bsrc=EMSHHM&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=63D91E9D7FA564BE%21499

I haven't run dcdiag since I'm waiting on the SBS server - it's stuck at a "Applying user settings" which is due to the 54 security updates that were applied earlier in the morning hours. 

Also, I was thinking that the problem lies with the old DC and not with the SBS. I was wondering why I couldn't demote the old server? However, before I do I need to move the mailboxes over to the new Exchange server. Also, in looking at the SBS console - I noticed in the user tab there is nothing there? But, if I open up ADUC on this server, I see all objects.  While would I need to move users/groups/computers/and any other resources when all I'm doing is an upgrade to SBS 2011 and I'm not doing a cross forest migration?

Thanks for you help.

J.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Hi ,

Didn't got the chance go through all files but this is one of the cleanest migrations I have seen in recent times with no errors whatsoever. :-)

I would like to know though when you open SBS Console does it shows any errors on the first page or any status for migration?

For the replication issues try earlier suggestion provided by kevin. As lots of updates have been installed reboot both source and destination servers ensuring time and timezone matches and rest steps as suggested by kevin.

For "Also, in looking at the SBS console - I noticed in the user tab there is nothing there? "  have a look at the following blog post 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/22/why-are-some-of-my-users-not-displaying-in-the-sbs-console.aspx

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:13 PM
  • I have fixed this on two different servers by updating the NIC dirvers on the source and destination, and disabeling the RSS and TOE settings on the network card on the servers. 

http://www.thirdtier.net/2011/09/replication-failed-due-to-schema-mismatch/

Once you disable TOE and RSS, restart the netlogon service, wait 15 minutes, and everything will work fine.

Jeremy
    • Proposed as answer by James.D.K1 Friday, March 16, 2012 6:06 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Mohitkapoor - Yes there is message in the SBS console about How do I recover from a failed installation.

Jeremy - what is the RSS and TOE????  

As per Kevin's suggestion, I went ahead made sure that both DCs have the IP address from each other. 

I'm going to go ahead and reboot the old server first - I hope it comes back up!!

I'll let you know what happens. 

BTW - I uploaded 2 dcdiag files in the above share. 

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=63d91e9d7fa564be&Bsrc=EMSHHM&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=63D91E9D7FA564BE%21499

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Jeremy - I went to the website for the RSS/TOE.

On my NIC, I don't show Offload Receive TCP Checksum, however, I do have TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) would that be the same?

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Make sure you update the drivers on both Servers.

Resolution: To keep it as simple and reliable as possible

1. Update to latest drivers
    2. Disable Everything that says offload or scaling in the NIC properties
    3. Disable it for the OS as well

• netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
    • netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled
    • netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• Netsh int ip set chimney disabled

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2006/11/10/Broadcom-Nic-issues.aspx

http://exchangemaster.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/disable-toe-and-rss/

Jeremy
    • Proposed as answer by James.D.K1 Friday, March 16, 2012 6:12 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I've rebooted the old DC and it did come back up - I'm still not able to replicate to the new DC.  

However, I've made the NIC changes that Jeremy suggested as well as, I'm updating the security updates 4 at a time.

I'll let you know in a while what happens - if anything improves. 

Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Thanks Jeremy.

I'm currently updating the SBS server with the latest security patches. 

It's taking a bit of time since I'm updating 4 patches at a time. 

Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:39 PM
  • "Yes there is message in the SBS console about How do I recover from a failed installation"? Is this the exact message or is it "Windows Small Business Server installation Cannot finish" ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533423 has a resolution if that is the case.

I am not sure why are you concentrating on installing updates first rather than fixing replication part. Updates do not have time limitation migration has , of 21 days.

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:13 AM
  • The message in the installation issues of the SBS console states that "Windows Small Business Server installation Cannot finish" and when you click on "How do I fix this issue" another window pops up and  it it states:  "How do I recover from a failed installation?"

The link you provided I saw earlier in another post, but my problem is that I don't have the file:  sbssetup-runtimedata.dat

Monday, October 17, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Unfortunately then the cleanest migration i saw from logs earlier has to be redone. I was under the assumption that setup will resume after updates were installed but as you mentioned earlier server hunged up on log on  screen and you have to reboot it. If  sbssetup-runtimedata.dat  is missing then it has to be started over as these tasks were never even attempted.

Task :RegGPO Missing
    Task :GenerateWSUSEncryptionKey Missing
    Task :WSUSConfig Missing
    Task :ConfigureMonitoringDB Missing
    Task :InstallMonitoringService Missing
    Task :ConfigureDataCollectionService Missing
    Task :ClientWebUpdateFilesAndSettingTask Missing
    Task :ReDirOUTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureOUTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureWSSOutgoingEmailTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureSharePointSiteTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureSharePointVSSRegistryTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureWSSConfigComPlus Missing
    Task :ConfigureSharePointCleanupTask Missing
    Task :ConfigureIE Missing
    Task :InstallCrimsonManifest Missing
    Task :InstallFaxSPRouteSnapin Missing
    Task :InstallMoveDataPSsnapin Missing
    Task :AddCodeSigningTemplate Missing
    Task :AdjustPop3ConnectorDependencies Missing
    Task :ChangeIp Missing
    Task :FolderRedirectionPostInstall Missing
    Task :ConfigSBSCSETask Missing
    Task :SetNtpSource Missing
    Task :NetworkingPostInstall Missing
    Task :AddFinishSetupToTaskScheduler Missing
    Task :AddWSUSLogCleanerToTaskScheduler Missing
    Task :ClearEventLog Missing
    Task :SetLogFolderPermissionTask Missing
    Task :SetupRemoteAccessFolderPermissionTask Missing
    Task :SetupCleanup Missing

What i would suggest is if you can restore the source server before pre migration state , Run the migration tools again ,uncheck install updates during migration and start the migration again. This will be lot easier and quickest things finding solutions for failures .

• Marked as answer by gothicreader Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:41 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:55 AM
  • I have fixed this on two different servers by updating the NIC dirvers on the source and destination, and disabeling the RSS and TOE settings on the network card on the servers. 

http://www.thirdtier.net/2011/09/replication-failed-due-to-schema-mismatch/

Once you disable TOE and RSS, restart the netlogon service, wait 15 minutes, and everything will work fine.

Jeremy

For the benefit of others who might find themselves in a nightmare like I just did. I was migrating to SBS 2011 Standard from SBS 2003. The migration install of 2011 seemed to go without a hitch (except for waiting forever for the updates to install, note to others:do not tick the updates box in the answer file!) However nothing was replicating.  The errors we encountered when trying to force replication were ' the naming context is in the process of being removed or is not replicated' and 'the replication operation failed because of a schema mismatch between the servers involved'.

After hours and hours of troubleshooting we discovered the above post regarding the NIC and Mapi_jeremy's follow up link of http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2006/11/10/Broadcom-Nic-issues.aspx which mentions the Broadcom NetXtreme NIC which our source server (2003) just happens to have! Updated the driver to the latest and switched off the offloading like suggested. Rebooted the source server and voila! Replication is now successful! Big thank you for the posts.

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Just signed in too add a TYVM to this post. Been at late night with the 'schema mismatch' thing on a Migration and updating the nic drives and turning off tcp offload has fixed this for me too.

Many thanks.. saved a call to MS. I always feel that's a fail!

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:34 PM