none
Power BI Limitations with External users

Question

• Dear All,

I need your expert opinion before i suggest solution to my client.

My client is looking for interesting and powerful BI-type solutions like Power Pivot and Power View to craft analytic requirements.

They want very interactive type of reports for non technical end users. 

They need some reports for those users who don't need to login. This is prime requirement. As of now, There is no clarifications I have on what kind of those reports are.

Users should be able to view, filter, sort the reports as per the requirement without users need to login with any kind of credentials. Also the user not need to have excel installed in their Pcs.

I want to get clear what kind of restrictions the external/anonymous users have for On premise or Online Power BI solution.  

Apart from Power BI, what other solution is advisable in this scenario.

Thanks for the help.

• Edited by meenxi Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:02 PM
    • Moved by Adam Wilson (Microsoft) Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:02 PM Moving to the Power BI forum
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:03 AM

Answers

• If you have a Power BI license, you can build a Pover Pivot/View report based on your on-premise data source, and upload your report to Power BI site, then share this report to your client with anonymous access.

This way your user don't have to install any extra software, don't need to buy Power BI, what they need is a browser.

Please note the following restrictions:

1. There is limitation on the size of your report, should be limited to 10 MB. (unless your client also have a Power BI license)

2. Currently your on-premise data source is limited to SQL Server, Oracle.

• Marked as answer by meenxi Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:02 AM

All replies

• If you have a Power BI license, you can build a Pover Pivot/View report based on your on-premise data source, and upload your report to Power BI site, then share this report to your client with anonymous access.

This way your user don't have to install any extra software, don't need to buy Power BI, what they need is a browser.

Please note the following restrictions:

1. There is limitation on the size of your report, should be limited to 10 MB. (unless your client also have a Power BI license)

2. Currently your on-premise data source is limited to SQL Server, Oracle.

• Marked as answer by meenxi Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:02 AM
  • Take a look at BI Office from Pyramid Analytics.

Disclaimer: I do work for them, but with over 25 years experience  in the BI software space (including a 4 year stint at Microsoft), I consider this to be the best front end for the Microsoft BI Data platform, including Microsoft's offerings.

While an AD Identity is a requirement for access to any SQLServer Analysis Services models, one of the BI Office security options allows you to map anonymous users to a specific AD identity for external access (or multiple AD identities if you want to differentiate, for example by role from different external groups of users).

All access for analytic views,  dashboards and reports is via a web browser, both build and consume so you can give whatever level of functional access you choose through  a web interface.

Deep, functional integration with SSAS (better than Power BI) and support for building 2012 Tabular models on the fly from a whole variety of data sources make this a very compelling solution.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:06 PM
  • Hi Dear

As per your answer, that, outside users can see all reports which I'm publishing trough a web browser, will they also be able to use the BI tools ? 

Or they will only be able to see A dead report ?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:46 PM