none
Error importing wim file with 'Add Operating System Image Wizard'

Question

• I'm using SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3 with MDT 2012 Update 1 and WAIK 3.0 on a 2012 Server

Every time I attempt to import a .wim file using the 'Add Operating System Image Wizard' on the server console with the aforementioned MDT and WAIK.  The CM returns the error "The specified UNC path does not contain a valid wim file or you do not have permission to access it. Specify a valid path." 

For each import attempt the following error lines are logged in OSDImageProperties.log:
    Failed to open ADK installation root registry key
    Invalid Windows Imaging installation path. Code 0x80070002

I have tried several wim files (all Windows 7), both custom and vanilla from the Windows ISO, from two different shares (one on the local server, one on a SAN share) where each share has Everyone Full Control, Share and NTFS permissions.

This issue only appears to have started at some point after the MDT and/or WAIK were installed.

I will admit that I previously installed WADK onto the server, and after receiving errors on creating a custom boot.wim I realised my mistake and uninstalled WADK and installed WAIK 3.0.

Furthermore, I have reinstalled both MDT and WAIK to try to resolve the issue, and disabled AV on the server to see if that was the cause.

Your thoughts please.

with kind regards and advance thanks
    Darryl

• Edited by idarryl Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:16 PM typo
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:01 PM

Answers

• So, you uninstalled ADK and installed the AIK on the site server?

If so, you've just created an issue. 2012 SP1 requires the ADK for Win 8. There is no way around this.

If you need to use boot images based on WinPE 3.0, then you need to install the AIK somewhere else and create your boot images there and then import them into ConfigMgr.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:52 PM