none
Content types and library templates

Question

• I am building a library template that has several content types added to it (from a Content Type Hub, if that matters).

When setting up the library, I can change the order in which the content types appear on the New Document menu, and choose to disable some of them.

It all works fine until I save the library into a template and subsequently create a new library based on that template. At that point, it "forgets" my settings for the New Document button and I have to reorganize them.

Is there any workaround to this? I can have users manually add the content types, but it would be better if they didn't have to.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not as far as I know.

The reason that they are jumbled is down to the way that the customisations are applied in templated sites.

What happens is that your base template has a selection of stapled features that make all the changes required. Sadly MS don't cover absolutely everything that can be done and the sequence is again occasionally less than perfect.

The order might be determined by the sequence in which they were added but that's the only thing i can think of.

The workaround would be to use PowerShell or another feature to clean up the order after creation. Oddly i have a blog post on this: http://alexbrassington.com/2013/03/07/sorting-content-types-in-the-new-button-on-a-list/

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for your response. We're going to have end users creating these things all the time, so unfortunately a PowerShell solution is not ideal for us. Appreciate you passing along the information, though.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 2:29 PM