none
Opening a Visual Studio WinForm through SSRS/ReportViewer

Question

• My company has a Visual Studio 2012 windows project. We recently implemented SSRS, and we view the reports through the ReportViewer tool. So right now, the user can click a button, menu item, ect... and have a report open in a ReportViewer, which is in a separate form.

Now we are wondering if it is possible to have the user click on a textbox/placeholder in the report, and have it open one of the other windows forms in the project. For example: If the report generates a list of a company's customers, the user can click on a customer, and the Customer.cs form will open with that customer's information. Or if the user clicks on an order number, the Order.cs form will open and display the selected order's details.

I've looked into several possible solutions, but I'm still not confident that there is a way to achieve exactly what we want. Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi KayLeeBee,

According to your description, you have a windows project with a report shown in a form. Now you want to use a textbox/placeholder ( like a “button”) in the report, when you click this placeholder, it will show you another Winform. Right?

In Reporting service, when we go to Properties of any cell/textbox/placehold, it has only three option in Action tab (url, bookmark and report). We can’t do a jump action out of this scope. We have Report View Control in Visual Studio so that we can put a report into a form and use a button or menu item to call the form. But we don’t have a “Winform control” in Reporting Service. So in this Scenario, we suggest you change those forms into reports, so that you can use go to report action in your report. We think this the best workaround for you.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Simon Hou (Pactera)

• Marked as answer by KayLeeBee Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi KayLeeBee,

According to your description, you have a windows project with a report shown in a form. Now you want to use a textbox/placeholder ( like a “button”) in the report, when you click this placeholder, it will show you another Winform. Right?

In Reporting service, when we go to Properties of any cell/textbox/placehold, it has only three option in Action tab (url, bookmark and report). We can’t do a jump action out of this scope. We have Report View Control in Visual Studio so that we can put a report into a form and use a button or menu item to call the form. But we don’t have a “Winform control” in Reporting Service. So in this Scenario, we suggest you change those forms into reports, so that you can use go to report action in your report. We think this the best workaround for you.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Simon Hou (Pactera)

• Marked as answer by KayLeeBee Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Thank you for the response!

I was afraid that would be the answer, but at least I know for sure. Yes, I suppose a "snapshot" of the screen in report-form could be a solution. That may be what we have to do.

Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:30 PM