none
Only Admin can run a program in TS (?)

Question

• We run TS on our SB server so that we do not have to install an often-updated custom program all the time.  In the past we used a  peer-to-peer network, but we recently went switched to a domain.

In the peer-to-peer setup, I would log into the TS server, install the program, and then all users could run the program without any special need to "run as admin".

Now that we are in a domain, we can only run the program "as admin".  So, I'm assuming there's some sort of permissions issue.  Either that or possibly my domain users cannot access SQL server for some reason.

This program inserts an .ini file into the Windows directory that all users are supposed to use.  Th thing that's different about the recent domain install from the others is that the Windows directory that the .ini file installed to was users/administrator.domain/windows

I'm pretty sure no one other than Admin can access anything in that folder to even read it.

I tried giving permissions to Domain Users for that directory, but Windows wouldn't let me.

Anyone think of something I can do?

• Edited by eyedevelop Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:28 AM
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When you re-installed the program with the session in install mode, did you first uninstall it, delete any registry entries it created under HKCU and HKLM, and delete any ini files it may have created in the user profiles and main windows folders?

Please verify that there is a copy of the program's .ini file being automatically copied under each user's profile windows folder when the program runs.  For example, for user jsmith it would typically be under c:\users\jsmith\windows.

Is there a copy of the ini file in the main windows folder?

Does this program put its sql connection string in the ini file?  If not, where is it normally kept?

Do you know if the program uses sql or windows authentication when connecting to sql server?  If sql authentication, where does it store the username / password that it will use to connect to sql server?  Is it with the connection string or someplace else?

If you would like you could post the contents of the ini file and the connection string.

Depending on how this program works you may need to add a RDS compatibility flag to force it to behave correctly and/or manually make some registry entries.

-TP

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:46 AM

All replies

• that's not an option, the program chooses
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:15 AM
  • another weird thing: domain users that tunnel into the program remotely (not inside TS) can access the program fine, it's only when they are in TS that they cannot.  

Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:16 AM
  • no, but I have unlimited tech support but they are only available during work hours.  I'll have to call them Monday morning - probably cancel my entire morning.  thanks
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

1. What is the operating system version of the server you installed the program on?

2. Did you install it with your session in install mode?

3. When you run the program as a normal user, does it prompt you for admin credentials, or does it simply not work correctly so the solution you found was to right-click and choose run as administrator?

-TP

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:11 PM
  • 1) Server 2008 R2

2) I went back and installed in RD-install mode but same issue

3) sometimes nothing happens and sometimes it says "Database Not Found"

• Edited by eyedevelop Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:38 PM installed in RD mode
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:14 PM
  • It is an SQL Server issue. I'd ask them over here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqldataaccess

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

When you re-installed the program with the session in install mode, did you first uninstall it, delete any registry entries it created under HKCU and HKLM, and delete any ini files it may have created in the user profiles and main windows folders?

Please verify that there is a copy of the program's .ini file being automatically copied under each user's profile windows folder when the program runs.  For example, for user jsmith it would typically be under c:\users\jsmith\windows.

Is there a copy of the ini file in the main windows folder?

Does this program put its sql connection string in the ini file?  If not, where is it normally kept?

Do you know if the program uses sql or windows authentication when connecting to sql server?  If sql authentication, where does it store the username / password that it will use to connect to sql server?  Is it with the connection string or someplace else?

If you would like you could post the contents of the ini file and the connection string.

Depending on how this program works you may need to add a RDS compatibility flag to force it to behave correctly and/or manually make some registry entries.

-TP

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:46 AM