none
Format column in powerpivot table as HyperLink column

Question

• Can I display a powerpivot column that contains valid URLs as click-able hyperlink column in excel ?

I tried to re-write my query to return the results in for of excel hyperlink function but this didn't work, any tips ?

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Friday, October 04, 2013 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Ahmed -

Not aware of a way to pull that off in a regular Excel pivot table.  Probably possible with some VBA. 

Here are some other options:

1. Use PowerView (Excel2013 required)
    - with the URL column selected, set the Advanced property in your PowerPivot model for Data Category to Web URL (Power Pivot actually recognized the string format and suggested this for me)

- then create a PowerView report containing a table with the URL column and the values will be surfaced as clickable hyperlinks.

2. Another option would be to move your model to Analysis Services and create URL Actions that would allow the user to click through the dimension members to the associated URL

Let me know if that helps.

Brent Greenwood, MS, MCITP, CBIP
    // Please mark correct answers and helpful posts //
    http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Ahmed -

Not aware of a way to pull that off in a regular Excel pivot table.  Probably possible with some VBA. 

Here are some other options:

1. Use PowerView (Excel2013 required)
    - with the URL column selected, set the Advanced property in your PowerPivot model for Data Category to Web URL (Power Pivot actually recognized the string format and suggested this for me)

- then create a PowerView report containing a table with the URL column and the values will be surfaced as clickable hyperlinks.

2. Another option would be to move your model to Analysis Services and create URL Actions that would allow the user to click through the dimension members to the associated URL

Let me know if that helps.

Brent Greenwood, MS, MCITP, CBIP
    // Please mark correct answers and helpful posts //
    http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 05, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Thanks Brent, I ended up using VBA since I wont to have URL and URL friendly name

like the column say SkyDrive and the behind URL forward to www.SkyDrive.com

I used the technique in this link

http://www.get-digital-help.com/2011/09/29/follow-hyperlinks-in-a-pivot-table/

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:27 AM