none
MSR (Reserved ) partition does not appear in Disk Management, nor in my backup program

Question

• Hello,

I did a new installation of Win 8.1 into a cleaned (using Diskpart) SSD drive.  I clicked "new partition", the installation created a GPT disk and reported 4 partitions:
    #1 Recovery - 300MB - NTFS - hidden type
    #2 System - 100MB - FAT32 - system type
    #3 MSR (reserved) - 128MB - no other info available
    #4 Primary - 113.6GB - NTFS - main OS partition

After installation Diskpart reported 4 partitions, but Disk Management reported 3 partitions and is missing #3 MSR (reserved).  Also, my backup program (Acronis True Image 2013, which supports Win8), just like Disk Management, does not detect the MRS partition.

Can someone explain why MSR is missing?

Will the system not boot if this partition is missing after an image restore?

See attached screen shots, and thank you!

Steve

Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:52 AM

All replies

• LOL I believe you can't see the partition in diskpart because it is hidden by default. It also can't be worked on by diskpart because Microsoft put it in there to protect from the consumer. Helps OEM's and so people don't muck up there os! You can google how to show/assign drive letter to hidden partition. Part of the Microsoft GPT system.
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Thank you for your thoughts, but I think there is more to it than that. Disk Management typically sees hidden partitions and unlettered ones, too.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 12:04 AM
  • Disk Management does not show the MSR partition. If you run Diskpart from Windows, it will show there.

You can try a test with your Acronis. Make the image, deploy to a different disk. Then boot that PC with a WinPE and run diskpart and see if Acronis deployed all the partitions.

• Edited by Tripredacus Monday, October 21, 2013 5:33 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 5:31 PM