none
Internal Web Site Does Not Exist

Question

• For a reason I'm not clear on, my Companyweb quit working, so I reinstalled SharePoint and created a new Companyweb site. However there are a few things that are wrong, one of which is that the SBS Console doesn't know about the new installation:

SBS Console > Shared Folders and Web Sites > Web Sites > Internal Web Site
    Address:       Cannot retrieve the requested information
    Description: The Web site does not exist

How can I hook them back together?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:53 PM

Answers

• Thank you all, anyway.

I solved the problem using the technique I was taught in MCSE training, following the bouncing ball to the tune of "Camp Town Races," updated now to include the modern terminology:

FDisk, Format, Reinstall,... Wizard .... Wizard

I have come to the conclusion that SBS 2008 is not as well understood nor as well supported as I might have hoped.

I'm sorry to have wasted our time.

• Marked as answer by Old Blind Dog Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:23 AM

All replies

• Have a look at the following.

See if there are any steps you may have missed

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd548327(WS.10).aspx

Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Thank you, I used the steps in that article to do the re-install. When I got to step 3, there was no site called "SBS SharePoint." Now in IIS there are two sites that point to the companyweb: 1) Default Web Site and 2) SharePoint - 80. I did the binding to Companyweb on Default Web Site.

1. Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.

2. Navigate to the name of the server that is running Windows SBS 2008, and then click Sites.

3. Right-click SBS SharePoint, and then click Edit Bindings.

I asked myself "Should I delete or rename one or the other of these sites in IIS?"

I tried renaming site 2) SharePoint - 80 as 'SBS SharePoint', but it wasn't recognized by the SBS Console.

I renamed it back to 'SharePoint' and removed the 'companyweb' binding, then renamed 1) Default Web Site to be 'SBS SharePoint' and set the binding to 'companyweb.' It now appears in the SBS Console, but it's status is "Unknown" and no right-click menu appears.

Suggestions?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

Did you have backup? You can restore last backup to server. Or you can reinstall  the SharePoint web site for internal. Also you must install the update rollup 4 to fixing this errors. Remove all items for SharePoint web sites and re-install and write the results.

Thanks

Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hello Alper,

There are backups, but the last time Sharepoint worked was too long ago.

Rollup 4 is installed.

I can try to reinstall SharePoint again, but what specific items should be removed before reinstalling? I'm not sure what belongs with what and don't want to break another site.

Thank you.

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Hi, to uninstall sharepoint 3.0 on SBS2008, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Uninstall WSS3.0:
    ======
    Disable and Stop the following services
    -Windows SharePoint Services Administration
    -Windows SharePoint Services Search
    -Windows SharePoint Services Timer
    -Windows SharePoint Services Tracing
    -Windows SharePoint Services VSS Writer

Note the following registry keys:
    From HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0
    -InstallPath (default is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12)

From HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0
    -Location (default is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12)

Delete the following registry hives:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WSS

Delete the following folders:

The value of the InstallPath key (default is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12)
    The value of the Location key (default is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12)
    C:\%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\SERVER12

Step 2: use Windows Installer cleanup:
    ======
    This utility is to clean the product code information:

1. please download and install installer cleanup utility from this link:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

2. please run these commands after you have installed the utility:

Cd c:\program files(x86)\windows installer clean up\
    MSIZAP TW {90120000-1015-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}
    MSIZAP TW {90120000-1014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}
    MSIZAP TW {90120000-1110-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

3. please reboot server.

Step 3: reinstall Sharepoint 3.0:
    ======
    1. save the following into notepad, and then save as a REG file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\ServerLanguage]
    "1033"=""

2. double click the REG file to import the registry.
    3. Reinstall sharepoint 3.0 according to this link:

Reinstall Windows SharePoint Services

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:30 AM
  • I have been referred to these instructions many times when trying to fix my similar problems with WSS 3.0 on SBS 2008 and they don't really work. First they reference a MOSS Sharepoint installation - see the references to "office" in the registry listings.  These registry entries do not exist in a default SBS 2008 WSS Sharepoint install but Sharepoint references are located elsewhere.  Second these instructions tell you to use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility which has been pulled by Microsoft and which people are now being told can damage your system.  Does anyone have manual uninstall / reinstall instructions for WSS on SBS 2008 that reference the correct registry and that does not use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility? Thanks for any pointers.

"Sean Zhu -" wrote in message news:091e87ee-2cdd-4a84-8ad9-710d7decc88e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi, to uninstall sharepoint 3.0 on SBS2008, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Uninstall WSS3.0:
    ======
    Disable and Stop the following services
    -Windows SharePoint Services Administration
    -Windows SharePoint Services Search
    -Windows SharePoint Services Timer
    -Windows SharePoint Services Tracing
    -Windows SharePoint Services VSS Writer

Note the following registry keys:
    From HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0
    -InstallPath (default is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12)

From HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0
    -Location (default is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12)

Delete the following registry hives:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WSS

Delete the following folders:

The value of the InstallPath key (default is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12)
    The value of the Location key (default is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12)
    C:\%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\SERVER12

Step 2: use Windows Installer cleanup:
    ======
    This utility is to clean the product code information:

1. please download and install installer cleanup utility from this link:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

2. please run these commands after you have installed the utility:

Cd c:\program files(x86)\windows installer clean up\
    MSIZAP TW {90120000-1015-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}
    MSIZAP TW {90120000-1014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}
    MSIZAP TW {90120000-1110-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

3. please reboot server.

Step 3: reinstall Sharepoint 3.0:
    ======
    1. save the following into notepad, and then save as a REG file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\ServerLanguage]
    "1033"=""

2. double click the REG file to import the registry.
    3. Reinstall sharepoint 3.0 according to this link:

Reinstall Windows SharePoint Services

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:52 PM
  • I have this fine book:
  • MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-653): Configuring Windows® Small Business Server 2008

• By: Beatrice Mulzer; Walter Glenn; Scott Lowe

In it it says:

Often administrators are inclined to avoid using the Windows Small Business Server wizards because they are not certain exactly what actions are performed by the wizards. But beware, by avoiding the wizards you invite many additional administrative tasks, you might fnd that the network does not function optimally, and you might even experience network connectivity issues. Therefore, we cannot overemphasize how important it is to use the wizards.

While this is good advice when things are being installed and everything is working, it becomes a problem for me (and maybe you) when there are problems with the installation... specifically because we are not certain exactly what has already happened.

Not only have I been unable to hook the Companyweb back up to the SBS Console, it seems as if now I've broken RWW and OWA as well. I didn't think I was breaking anything, but I did.

Maybe it would be easier to preserve the user's email inboxes and archives, manually backup the re-directed folders, and flatten and rebuild the server? I don't even know what difficulties THAT might involve, but I'm ready to find out.

Thanks all.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Do you have KB983444 installed? It can break SharePoint and the SSEE database. If you do, follow the steps here to repair your database and companyweb. http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/06/18/companyweb-and-sharepoint-central-admin-not-accessible-after-installing-kb983444.aspx.
    Jeff
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Thanks Jeff,

I do have KB983444 installed. I performed the steps, including running psconfig, which was successful. However the next step fails:

If SharePoint Central Admin works but Companyweb does not, check the bindings for the web site in IIS, we’ve seen some cases where they are missing.

What I see is that SharePoint Central Admin works but Companyweb does not. I don't know exactly what I should be seeing in IIS and haven't seen an example of what a "standard" SBS2008 instance of IIS ought to look like, so I've now managed to break RWW and OWA, too.

I get an error saying another site is already using the port.

Is there a list somewhere of what IIS is supposed to look like for SBS2008?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Check the ports IIS web applications on inetmgr.msc. - Site right click and edit bindings button and try again. The ports may used by another process.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Thank you all, anyway.

I solved the problem using the technique I was taught in MCSE training, following the bouncing ball to the tune of "Camp Town Races," updated now to include the modern terminology:

FDisk, Format, Reinstall,... Wizard .... Wizard

I have come to the conclusion that SBS 2008 is not as well understood nor as well supported as I might have hoped.

I'm sorry to have wasted our time.

• Marked as answer by Old Blind Dog Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Old Blind Dog

I have read the comment trail and also have the same problem you had.  The internal web site in sbs 2008 stopped working and my IT person has recreated the companyweb site however when i go to the SBS console as you did i get the same info as per your paste of 7.10.10 @ 5.53pm. Is there a simple way to connect the new conpamyweb site to the SBS console without having to delete, reinstall and all of that.

Can you direct me as to what you did.

Thanks

Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:00 AM