none
SMS_Notification_server fails to install for SP1

Question

• Recently installed SP1.

Most things are OK expect for the failure to install the sms_notification_server.

Checked bgbsetup.log and it shows the following:

<03/07/13 09:43:45> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /u "F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
    <03/07/13 09:43:46> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: Failed to unregister F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll with .Net Fx 4.0
    <03/07/13 09:43:46> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /extlb /tlb:"F:\SMS_CCM\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.tlb" "F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
    <03/07/13 09:43:48> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: Failed to register F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll with .Net Fx 4.0
    <03/07/13 09:43:48> Cannot register BGB server channel DLL F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll. Installation cannot continue.
    <03/07/13 09:43:48> Fatal MSI Error - bgbisapi.msi could not be installed.

Checked Google and only found one instance about this problem. It said something about modifying .net config files. I did that and it still fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David Z

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks for that but still error when it tried to install that component,  this is occurring in 2 Primary sites servers -> 

I now get this ->

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Services Installation Utility Version 4.0.30319.1
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

An unknown exception occurred during installation:
    1: System.Transactions.TransactionException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)
    2: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)

• Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:25 AM

All replies

• Did you try manually rerunning the command line that failed above to see if you get more info?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:37 AM
  • This is the error when I try rerunning manually ->  I have the same problem  :)   Its the same error when it also tried to register the DLL.

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /u "E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"

1: System.TypeInitializationException - The type initializer for 'System.Transactions.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTrace' threw an exception.
    2: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException - Configuration system failed to initialize
    3: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException - There are multiple root elements. Line 7, position 2. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe.Config line 7)
    4: System.Xml.XmlException - There are multiple root elements. Line 7, position 2.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Can you look into RegSvcs.exe.Config  to see any differences in the file?
    Friday, March 08, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Im not sure what you mean. I dont even know what that file is supposed to contain let alone notice any differences?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:03 PM
  • This sounds like something is wrong with the regsvcs.exe.config file, specifically in that it has improperly defined XML. I wonder if yours has two <configuration></configuration> sections (which is invalid).

Here's what mine looks like on my machine (YMMV):

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
        <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
            <requiredRuntime safemode="true" imageVersion="v4.0.30319" version="v4.0.30319"/>
        </startup>
    </configuration>
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Thanks for that but still error when it tried to install that component,  this is occurring in 2 Primary sites servers -> 

I now get this ->

1: System.Transactions.TransactionException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)
    2: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)

• Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Thanks to Mr. S. Younes for the answer to this one.

Its just too weird....

What we had to do was go to Component Services > DTC and turn on the check boxes: Network DTC access and the four allow checkboxes.

Why they were off, I have no idea.

Then notifications installed fine.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:33 PM
  • I had the same issue with the .NET registrations failing for a MP installation on ConfigMgr 2012 SP1.

the BgbSetup.log showed the exact same errors. I was able to resolve the problem by ensuring that the following two services were running and not disabled (as previously);

• MSDTC
    • COM+ System Application

The setup completed as expected after these changes were made.

hope this helps :-)

• Proposed as answer by timfy Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:21 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 11:10 AM