none
SMS_Notification_server fails to install for SP1

Question

• Recently installed SP1.

Most things are OK expect for the failure to install the sms_notification_server.

Checked bgbsetup.log and it shows the following:

<03/07/13 09:43:45> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /u "F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
    <03/07/13 09:43:46> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: Failed to unregister F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll with .Net Fx 4.0
    <03/07/13 09:43:46> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /extlb /tlb:"F:\SMS_CCM\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.tlb" "F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
    <03/07/13 09:43:48> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: Failed to register F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll with .Net Fx 4.0
    <03/07/13 09:43:48> Cannot register BGB server channel DLL F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll. Installation cannot continue.
    <03/07/13 09:43:48> Fatal MSI Error - bgbisapi.msi could not be installed.

Checked Google and only found one instance about this problem. It said something about modifying .net config files. I did that and it still fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David Z

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks for that but still error when it tried to install that component,  this is occurring in 2 Primary sites servers -> 

I now get this ->

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Services Installation Utility Version 4.0.30319.1
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

An unknown exception occurred during installation:
    1: System.Transactions.TransactionException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)
    2: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)

• Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:25 AM

All replies

• Did you try manually rerunning the command line that failed above to see if you get more info?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:37 AM
  • This is the error when I try rerunning manually ->  I have the same problem  :)   Its the same error when it also tried to register the DLL.

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /u "E:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"

1: System.TypeInitializationException - The type initializer for 'System.Transactions.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTrace' threw an exception.
    2: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException - Configuration system failed to initialize
    3: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException - There are multiple root elements. Line 7, position 2. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe.Config line 7)
    4: System.Xml.XmlException - There are multiple root elements. Line 7, position 2.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Can you look into RegSvcs.exe.Config  to see any differences in the file?
    Friday, March 08, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Im not sure what you mean. I dont even know what that file is supposed to contain let alone notice any differences?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:03 PM
  • This sounds like something is wrong with the regsvcs.exe.config file, specifically in that it has improperly defined XML. I wonder if yours has two <configuration></configuration> sections (which is invalid).

Here's what mine looks like on my machine (YMMV):

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
        <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
            <requiredRuntime safemode="true" imageVersion="v4.0.30319" version="v4.0.30319"/>
        </startup>
    </configuration>
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Thanks for that but still error when it tried to install that component,  this is occurring in 2 Primary sites servers -> 

I now get this ->

1: System.Transactions.TransactionException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)
    2: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException - The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)

• Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Thanks to Mr. S. Younes for the answer to this one.

Its just too weird....

What we had to do was go to Component Services > DTC and turn on the check boxes: Network DTC access and the four allow checkboxes.

Why they were off, I have no idea.

Then notifications installed fine.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:33 PM
  • I had the same issue with the .NET registrations failing for a MP installation on ConfigMgr 2012 SP1.

the BgbSetup.log showed the exact same errors. I was able to resolve the problem by ensuring that the following two services were running and not disabled (as previously);

• MSDTC
    • COM+ System Application

The setup completed as expected after these changes were made.

hope this helps :-)

• Proposed as answer by timfy Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:21 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 11:10 AM
  • I checked those services and i keep getting the same error.  Any advice
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:17 AM
  • I also made the adjustment to the config files to include load from remote sources.  same error.

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
        <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
            <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>
        </startup>
        <runtime>
            <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" />
        </runtime>
    </configuration>

I also tried to run the command that it keep failing on from a command prompt.

Rolling back assembly 'D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
       assemblypath = D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll
       logfile = D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.InstallLog
    An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.BgbServerChannel.BgbInstaller installer.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot load Counter Name data because an invalid index '' was read from the registry.
    An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete.
    Installing assembly 'D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
       assemblypath = D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll
       logfile = D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.InstallLog
    Rolling back assembly 'D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
    An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.BgbServerChannel.BgbInstaller installer.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot load Counter Name data because an invalid index '' was read from the registry.
    An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete.
    Installing assembly 'D:\SecondarySite\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Sorry forgot about this thread.  I worked with a Microsoft engineer on the case.  The issue is now resolved.  The problem was due to the server not being part of a local security group that caused it to not install a function.  We reviewed several logs to isolate the problem.  The Microsoft engineer approached this from a "what is the expected outcome" rather than just the specified error code.  Before this was fixed all of my EU desktops were showing up inactive and with no inventory, and no historical data.  Now everything works properly.
    Details below
    Had Microsoft review my settings on support call

confirmed boundaries were correct.
    Discovery groups and settings are correct.
    Secondary site settings and roles are correct.
    Overall health of SCCM is correct.
    Site hierarchy is correct
    Server installation procedure is correct.
    Server SCCM patch installation is correct.
    Site to site functions are correct, however we have to double check logs to make sure all components are correct.  Since imaging and remote controlling are functioning there might be a component error as initially suspected.

We isolated a machine in one office, and reviewed log files (inventoryagent.log and others)
    confirmed that the machine is sending it logs files to management point.

We then took a look at log files on the servers to further isolate the issue.

<PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER>
    U_ex***.log – iis server logs
    Compmon.log – component information including installation
    Perfsetup.log – performance counter information
    Mpfdm.log - Moves client files to the corresponding SMS\INBOXES folder
    Mp_Hinv.log to confirm that the mp is receiving and processing inventory
    dataldr.log – logs .mif file processing for inventory  on primary site

<PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>
    dataldr.log – logs .mif file processing for inventory  on primary site
    dataldr.lo_ - logs .mif file processing for inventory  on primary site

We noticed that the associated .mif file for the desktop machine was not present on <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>. ( search on ConfigMgr\inboxes\auth\dataldr.box )

We reviewed additional logs and found errors in the
    compmon.log files

We concluded that there is a communication error between <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> and <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>, since the inventory logs were present and processing on <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER>.  Deeper analysis of the logs pointed us to the root communication issue between <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER>
    Local administrators group was correct with <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER> and <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> added.  

The sitecomp & compmon logs were reviewed further and we found some additional issue with components not installing fully.
    Per one of the logs we see a failed installation and a removal of the server from a local group.
    <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> was being removed from a local group – SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_[SITECODE]
    We added the server back to the group and restarted the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER service.
    Once this was restarted we reviewed the logs again.

<PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> started processing and completing any installation of missing components.  Exit codes-0 for completed installations.
    Sender.log started showing progress in transmitting the inventory and collected data from the workstations.

Results
    BGB installed correctly.
    <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> – shows green status in component settings in SCCM Console
    Refreshed the SCCM Console on <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>
    <SECONDARY SITE> machines were now listed with the correct management point – <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> and are now showing as active.
    Software deployment status has been updated for EU offices.

• Edited by BK Cypher Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:23 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BK Cypher Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:23 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Moral: unnecessary security lock downs usually break your applications and cause more pain than they are worth: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2011/SIM304

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, July 11, 2014 6:21 PM