none
Restoring domain controler windows server 2008 R2 on a new installation

Question

• Hi!!!

I have just a domain controller running in my enterprise without RAID (Windows server 2008 R@ standard). I´m going to configure a hardware RAID 1, so I will lost of the data of my Acive directory.

To prevent that, I want to do a Backup just with the basic information of my active directory.

So i will have a backup of the actual system state and a new instalation of windows server 2008 on a RAID 1.

-Before restoring the system state on a new instalation, I have to do a DCPROMO isn´t it?

-The name of the new instalation and the old server have to be the same?

Thans!!!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• How are you planning to back up your DC? VM backup, using wbadmin? Here is a guide to backing up a DC.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Hi

Make the backup like 'sm's told, but does you bougth a raid controller that support to build the raid 1 from a source drive ? Thus the drive 2 can get a copy of drive 1 during the initialization of the array. If so, pre-install the raid 1 controler driver in the OS before.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi again!

To simplify, my scenario is as follow:

I have a server running windows server 2008 R2 standart as a domain controller.

I will do the backup with the windows server 2008 Backup tool.

I want to do a new installation of server 2008 on the same server, but I just want to recover in the new instalation the information of the Active directory and DNS. I dont want to do a full server backup, just the Active directory information and DNS.

So what kind of backup must i do?

-Critical volumes or system state ?

I read the official microsoft guide, but don´t understand this point.

And another question:

-The new instalation server must have the same name server that the old instalation?

-Firt of all I have to do a DCPROMO and do the restauration before?

-The server rolles instaled in the new instalation must be the same that was installed in the old instalation?

Thanks again!!!!!

• Edited by Jamoncito Friday, August 23, 2013 2:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jamoncito Friday, August 23, 2013 2:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jamoncito Friday, August 23, 2013 2:59 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Hello,

Why are you installing on the same server?

Looking for degrade of editions? License issues?

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:32 PM
  • I`m reinstalling in the same server because my actual instalation is a Domain controller without RAID!!!

So i`m going to configure a harware RAID 1 supported by my motherboard. And to configure the RAID I have to

delete all the information of my actual instalation of the Active directory.

Ahhh there is an only domain controler in my enterprise, I know that I should have at least two, but my boss 

don`t want to buy another server and licence.

Thank!!!

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Hello,

in your case install a temporary machine as second DC/DNS/GC and transfer FSMO roles to this one. Configure all domain machines to use this one as DNS server on the NIC and test they are working well. Save all required data from the non-RAID1 machine.

So with a still running domain you can now reinstall the server and I suggest to use the Hyper-V role on it ONLY and then you can run with Windows server 2008 R2 Standard edition up to 2 VMs on the Hyper-V machine. That way you have at least 2 DC/DNS/GC available, even if they are on the same hardware, if one VM fails the other is still up and running.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Hi Meinolf Weber

The idea of installing server 2008 just with the Hyper -v is good, but what is the advance of having 2 domain controllers in the same Fisical server, same HD etc? For exemplo, if the NIc board or the RAID 1 controller stop working, the 2 domains controller will be ofline.

-My server 2008 is a standart edition, Can I install 2 windows servers 2008 inside the fisical server just running Hyper-v? (I thinh that I can install just a server 2008 standard licence inside a server 2008 standard running just Hyper-v,  not 2)

I know that the best way to do the migartion is to use the actual running domain controller plus anothe temporaly domain controler, replicate the temporally domain controller with the actual runnung domain controller, tranfer the operations master and global catalog to the temporal domain controller, depromote the actual domain controller, configure the RAID 1 in the actual domain controller, and before trasfer the operations masters to the new RAID 1 domain controller.

But the problem, is tha I don´t have a fisical server to use like 'temporal domain controller'.

I have just a fisical server, so the only way that i found to do the migration is to make an Active directory backup of the actual running domain controller, Configure the RAID 1, instal the windows server 2008 do a DCPROMO, and install the active directory backup that I did in the actual running domain controller.

My questions:

So what kind of backup must i do?

-Critical volumes or system state ?

I read the official microsoft guide, but don´t understand this point.

And another question:

-The new instalation server must have the same name server that the old instalation?

-Firt of all I have to do a DCPROMO and do the restauration before?

-The server rolles instaled in the new instalation must be the same that was installed in the old instalation?

Thanks again!!!!!

Monday, August 26, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Hello,

of course you are correct if it comes to the hardware. BUT if someone accidentally deletes the VM itself, for whatever reason or the VM files become corrupt you still have the hope the second DC VM is still ok.

Also if you have the need for maintenance/updating/reboot a second VM allows users to login etc.

Please see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772519(v=ws.10).aspx for the restore from full server backup and TEST THIS IN A LAB BEFORE using it on the production DC.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:17 AM