none
Problems with installing microsoft office professional plus, its telling to get rid of groove legacy.. how??.. im using windows 7

Question

• hey

i've deleted microsoft office 2007 and tried to install office 2010 plus... i cant seem to get it to work.. it keeps saying "Setup has detected legacy groove and Microsoft Groove Sever software on this system. You must uninstall all legacy Groove and Microsoft Groove Server software before installing or upgrading to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace. For more information, see your Microsoft SharePoint Workspace administrator."  now ive looked around on the net with other people responding to open up groove and do all these things but my groove wont open.. so i cant delete it that way.. is there anyway of fixing this or restoring the old office 2007 back on without the cd (it came on the computer already...) im using windows 7 too.. thanks for your time

Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• When you say you "deleted Microsoft Office 2007" do you mean you uninstalled it from Control Panel / Programs and Features? If not, please provide details.

In Control Panel / Programs and Features do you see any of the following programs listed?

• Office Groove 2007
    • Office <edition name> 2007
    • Groove Virtual Office
    • Groove Workspace

If none of them are listed, there may be a particular library registered which is triggering this. Let me know, and I can look into that further.

Monday, June 21, 2010 4:49 PM
  • I would suggest following the steps in the follwing article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

If you cannot unistall the FixIt program will remove all instances of the software from the registry. The most likely scenario causing your issue is a remnant left behind in the registry.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Hello,

i am having the same problem as above. i bought microsoft office professional plus 2010 on a download from a reputable dealer.

firstly i un-installed home and student 2007 and then proceeded with the download and installation. Half of it was down loaded and the computer crashed, when i restarted it had cancelled the download half way through and shows microdsoft office 2010 as in my program files but when i click on it and try to uninstall it, it says.the product installation has been corrupted, run the setup again from the original installtion or CD

i went back to my download link and went through the motions of it all - Download - unpack - installation (which is where the prob occurs) i have the full program on my computer but it will not let me install it as i t then says:

"Setup has detected legacy groove and Microsoft Groove Sever software on this system. You must uninstall all legacy Groove and Microsoft Groove Server software before installing or upgrading to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace. For more information, see your Microsoft SharePoint Workspace administrator"

I cant find any of the filesyou litsed on bullet points above so where is the groove files??

i look forward to your reply#

lee

Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Hey Lee,

Check out Michael's link in the post above.  Run the FixIt program and see if that works.

Gregg

MSFT
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:43 PM
  • which files to delete out of the registry? The fix it does not work with Windows 7
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just wondering if you found a way to remove Office from Windows 7?

Friday, December 24, 2010 5:11 AM
  • I believe the "Fix it" links in the following recently updated article will work with Windows 7:

If not, the registry values are all listed here:

Let me know if you need more help!

-- Frances

Monday, December 27, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Okay, so I have a similar problem.

I d/l Office 2010 Pro Plus from the Oklahoma State University website, installed it on top of my pre-installed 2007 Office (it seems kind of strange that it would even let me do that instead of "upgrading" the 2007 version). It then completely screwed up all of my file associations. I then uninstalled 2007, and the file associations completely disappeared from everything. I tried to open the items and add an association, but my computer was completely unable to find the actual installed 2010 office programs anywhere on my machine, although I was still able to open them thru the start menu. I was able to open each item by opening the office app (ie, excel or word) and then opening the file directly thru the application.

That still did not add an association to the files, and in fact made my .xlsx files think they should be opening in Acrobat, which is absurd.

Since the computer had no clue where Microsoft Office was, I decided to uninstall 2010 and re-install it since 2007 was now gone. I started the uninstall process on 2010 and it froze halfway thru. I tried to cancel/close the dialogue and it would not work, so I had to kill the process in the task manager. Office 2010 then disappeared from my list of installed programs.

Now, when I extract 2010 files from the d/l file from OSU and try to install office, it gives me the message about legacy / Microsoft groove.

I ran the fixit program and it completed, but did not fix the problem.

How on earth can I fix this, since the issue most likely extends from the only-half-removed version of office 2010 and not 2007?

Monday, August 29, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

This issue really sounds like a case where we would need to take a look at your computer to see what is going on.  Your best bet to get this resolved is to open up a Support Request with Microsoft.

Gregg

MSFT
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Hi Oro.neill,

Since you your computer is likely in an unusual state by now, this might need individual analysis in a support case, but there are things you can try yourself, especially if you hadn't actually been using any version of Groove.

When you initially installed Office 2010, it should have given you the option of upgrading. Because some users want to run mixed installations (for example, Word 2010 and Excel 2010 with Groove 2007) upgrading is an option, not a requirement. If your 2010 installation did not give that option, something was wrong at the onset, and you probably have a problem with corrupted 2007 data.

If you do not have 2007 data that needs to be saved -- for example, a Groove 2007 account -- and were not using an earlier version of Groove from Groove Networks, try this:

1. Run the Fixit for a 2010 installation (Microsoft Fix it 50450 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) again.
    2. Reboot.
    3. Run the Fixit for a 2007 installation (50154)from the same article.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Try the 2010 installation again.

If that doesn't work, you may want to contact the OSU helpdesk and ask them what Groove software (Office 2007 from Microsoft, earlier versions from Groove Networks, or  -- unlikely -- something from a Groove Networks OEM) was pre-installed. If Groove was installed and had been started, you may need to delete the Groove data directories between steps 3 and 4. Assuming you have Windows 7, Groove 2007 data would be in the following location:

C:\ Users\<your user id>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Groove\

Caution: Deleting these directories will delete all Groove data, including your account and workspaces. If you used Groove and want to save data, then you may want to opt for opening a support case, so someone can guide you through attempting to preserve it.

I hope this helps!

Frances

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Not strictly a solution, but if you are just interested in installing Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, etc, you can choose the Customise option on the install screen and unselect Sharepoint services from the install packages. This will (obviously) skip setup of anything Groove related and will therefore not check whether an earlier version exists. I have just successfully installed office 2010 this way.

The only thing you won't have is the sharepoint features. Hope this helps someone.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:28 PM
  • All the KB articles referenced, including the FixIt solution, have been updated since the posts -- both over a year ago -- which said they did not work with Windows 7. I believe they should all work with Windows 7 systems now. If not, please let me know which ones you tried so I can put in a change request for anything that failed.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Hi Frances. Thank you so much for your help. I was searching for a solution since long.

Rehan.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:16 PM