none
Windows Server 2008 r2 does not show prompt to format blu-ray, it used to.

Question

• Hi,
    I have been using a LACIE 50GB Blu-ray burner on our Windows server r2 2008 computer and it used to prompt me to format it like a USB device or as a read only media. It no longer prompts me. When i contacted LACIE, they said that this is a Windows setting. I am not sure how this could have changed may be through a windows update. I need to enable this prompt so i can format the disc. Currently, what i do is plug the LACIE drive into my Windows 7 Prof. computer and it works there and i get to set the formatting and then switch the drive to the server. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    bramoin

ilikecoding

Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Hi Vivian, I think this may be due to windows update because this used to work for us. I have not been able to find an answer for this issue. Hope you can get help. 
    Thank you, ilikecoding.

ilikecoding

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:38 PM
  • Have you installed any hotfixes on the server before this issue first happen?

You may open a command prompt window as Adminstrator, manually format it . (reference http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/02/20/using-windows-server-2008-as-a-super-workstation-os-cont-d.aspx, comment from Greg dated 2008-03-14. ) 

You can also use diskpart to format it.

For more information about diskpart, please refer to this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877.aspx - DiskPart

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:00 AM
  • I have installed all windows updates. It was working in July. I skipped a backup to Blu-ray in August and now in Sept, when i tried it does not work.

I am sorry but this does not answer my question and here is why: If i put a formatted Blu-ray disk into the external Blu-ray player, it detects it and windows explorer displays a drive letter for the device. But if the Blu-ray disc is raw, it does not prompt to format and windows explorer does not show the logical drive in the list under the "Computer" on the left panel of windows explorer. The manual format command requires a drive letter to be specified, because the Blu-ray drive does not show up in the Windows Explorer, it is not designated a drive letter and so format command can not be used. 

ilikecoding

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Any updates on this?

ilikecoding

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:45 PM
  • I have consulted our product team, since this is a 3rd party blu-ray burner and we don’t have the symbol and source code for the 3rd party, please try to contact the vendor for best practice.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:14 PM