none
What can filter data in a cube ?

Question

• I have the following problem.

I have 2 cubes based on the same datasource view.

When I browse a certain dimension (just the dimension), they show different records.

In one of the cubes some records seem to be filtered out

I assumed this was probably due to different relations between tables in both cubes, but the relations are exactly the same.  So my question what else could be the reason some records are being filtered in one of the cubes.

(btw I didn't create these cubes I just inhereted them :-))

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Answers

• If you are not explicitly calling any measures in your query, it will default to the first measure that was created in the cube. Check to see if the cubes have a different default measure.

select [Measures].defaultmember on 0
    from [MyCube]

Victor Rocca

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:13 PM

All replies

• If you are not explicitly calling any measures in your query, it will default to the first measure that was created in the cube. Check to see if the cubes have a different default measure.

select [Measures].defaultmember on 0
    from [MyCube]

Victor Rocca

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Could be a bunch of things! Tis true that you need to check that the default measure is the same in both cubes. Make sure there's no calculated member in the calculation script of the cube with missing members doing any kind of filtering (via a scope statement).

Check the dimension data tab (via visual studio or management studio) for the dimension in question to make sure there's no dynamic security filtering out some members (either dynamically via MDX) or explicitly (check all member check boxes are checked under list of allowed members).

Are both cubes using the same conformed dimension! You don't have a scenario do you where there are two dimensions based on the same simension view in the datasource where one dimension has been processed and the other hasn't!!?

'll keep thinking about this see what else I can come up with!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:39 PM
  • I wish it was as straight forward as a default measure, user is the same, namely me.

Both cubes are fullly deployed/processed

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Is just for one dimension specifically? What about the data source connections for the DSVs? Are they pointing to the same tables? Is the partition set up as table binding or query binding? How are you browsing the dimension?

Victor Rocca

Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:41 AM
  • What do you mean by 'user is the same, namely me' ?

Saurabh Kamath

Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:19 AM
  • Problem was in the relations, weird that the xml's didn't show any diffs
    Monday, April 28, 2014 11:08 AM